NFL: 2016 Draft Review

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
With the actual draft coming up this weekend. I'll post 2017 review sometime in May.

This Vikings class is almost a polar opposite to the all timer the year before.

Vikings:

1(23) WR Laquon Treadwell, Ole Miss
-WR was a major need for the Vikings and the time, they just had punted the failed Mike Wallace experiment and Adam Thielen was still just a special teamer. So all they had was Stefon Diggs coming off a good rookie year and not much else. Was thought to be a solid possession WR at the worst, but never amounted to anything. Lost all his speed after a college injury and couldn't separate. Only caught 1 pass his rookie year and was surpassed by Thielen on the depth chart and even was losing snaps to Jarius Wright. Was cut in camp this offseason but brought back in like week 2 or 3 for depth and signed a 1 year deal with Atlanta in March. Funny enough the guy picked right before him at 22, Josh Doctson, replaced him on the roster after he was cut, then Treadwell took the spot back when Doctson got hurt in practice.
F

2(54) CB Mackensie Alexander, Clemson
-Came along slowly but has developed into a really good nickel CB. The problem is I think he'd rather play on the outside and left for the Bengals in FA this offseason
A

4(121) T Willie Beavers, Western Michigan
-Seen as a huge reach at the time and it turns out he was. Spent his rookie year mostly inactive on game days. Has bounced around various practice squads since.
F

5(160) LB Kentrell Brothers, Missouri
-Decent backup LB/Special Teamer. In the 5th round you'll take it. Currently a UFA, might come back, might not.
B-

6(180) WR Mortiz Bohringer, Germany
-The feel good pick on draft day but was cut that camp and spent year on the practice squad, then cut again the following camp and signed with the Bengals PS where he currently still is. Believe he's converted to TE. Only not giving it an F because of the story.
D

6(188) TE David Morgan, UTSA
-Good blocking TE for a few years had a major injury late in 2018 that also caused him to miss 2019. Was a cap casualty before FA.
C+

7(227) DE Stephen Weatherley, Vanderbilt
-Developed into a solid rotational/backup pass rusher. Signed for more money than the Vikings could afford with Carolina in March.
B+

7(244) S Jayron Kearse, Clemson
-Very good special teamer and backup. Actually didn't look lost when forced to start. Was even used as a nickel CB at times. Left in FA for Detroit after some tweets made it sound like he wasn't happy with his playing time. Still gets a good grade though.
B

They did get FB CJ Ham as a UDFA though. And he's a pro bowler.

This draft is a D- at best. When the best players are a decent backups, you failed. Treadwell was a colossal bust and the Beavers reach in the 4th is tough to swallow given they didn't have a 3rd (traded it for a 2017 3rd & 4th). Unless Brothers re-signs, not one player from the class is still with the team 4 years later. Even if he does, it doesn't move the needle much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trap Jesus

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
1(3) - Joey Bosa, DE - Ohio State
This is where Tom built his reputation as a master of mystery in the draft. The Chargers were heavily linked with Jalen Ramsay throughout the draft process and a few days before the draft rumors came out that the pick was going to be Ronnie Stanley but Tom stuck to his board which had Bosa on top throughout the process. A top 5 pass rusher in the game Bosa has done nothing to make the team regret this selection.
A

2(35) - Hunter Henry, TE - Arkansas

The heir-apparent to the great Antonio Gates, Henry has been a difference maker when healthy. After missing all of 2018 and the first four weeks of 2019 Henry went on to post a career high in Receiving yards and was signed to the franchise tag this offseason. Will be interesting to see if the team is willing to commit to him long-term.
B+

3(66) - Max Tuerk, C - USC

After hitting with their first two picks here's the first miss. Tuerk was yet another attempt at fixing the long maligned center position but never actually played a game for the tea. After missing his rookie season due to injury he was cut the following year after getting busted for PEDs. Played one game with the Cardinals before falling out of the league entirely.
F

4(102) - Joshua Perry, LB - Ohio State

Another miss. Pretty failed to see the field much as a rookie playing almost exclusively on special teams. The new coaching staff had no loyalty to him and he was cut year 2. Played a few games with Indy before falling out of the league.
D

5(175) - Jatavis Brown, LB - Akron

Good find in the fifth Brown looked like he could be a pro bowler after his rookie year. Dealt with some injury problems and lost a bit of the explosiveness he had year one. Still a solid contributor before falling out of favour this past season. Good in coverage but struggled with missed tackles. Signed a deal with Philly this offseason.
B+

6(179) - Drew Kaser, P - Texas A&M

Won the starting gig out of camp and played two seasons with the team before falling victim to the Chargers kicking debacle year 3. Landed on Green Bay's practice squad before falling out of the league.
C-

6(198) - Derek Watt, FB - Wisconsin

Brought in to help his college teammate Melvin Gordon who struggled as a rookie. Watt was a special teams ace and a good blocker which is really all that can be asked from a FB. Signed a big deal to join brother TJ in Pittsburgh this offseason.
C+

7(224) - Donavan Clark, G - Michigan State

Looked to have found a contributor in the final round as he was well on his way to winning a roster spot in preseason/training camp year 1. Unfortunately he was injured in the final preseason game and missed his rookie year. Never really got another chance and was cut year two.
F

A good draft. Made the most of their premium picks and found some contributors later on (even if they were at somewhat niche positions).
B+

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

This is what Vernon Butler, pick 30, will be remembered for. He was nothing special and he's now w/ the Bills.

Best player from this draft was James Bradberry, now in New York w/ the Giants.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
1 (5) Jalen Ramsey, CB, Florida State
- Doesn't need much introduction I guess, really talented player who can cause a good dose of headache to you. Was a good player during his tenure at least if he didn't have back problems ( :snide: ), and Jaguars got two first-rounders in the trade eventually for him.

2 (36) Myles Jack, LB, UCLA
- Good starting weakside linebacker for the Jaguars for a long time now, who even got an extension after the last season.

3 (69) Yannick Ngakoue, DE, Maryland
- Ngakoue is really good pass-rusher averaging over 9 sacks per season for four years now, so a premium position Pro Bowl level player got for a third rounder. Didn't get an extension though and is currently feuding with the management about a trade, so I guess he will be out after his rookie contract, like most of the Jaguars seem to be :snide:

4 (103) Sheldon Day, DT, Notre Dame
- Stayed with Jaguars only 1,5 years as a replacement level player, but he has been in the league the whole time and got a contract this spring from Colts, so things could be worse for him.

6 (181) Tyrone Holmes, DE, Montana

- Was cut during the camp and has been bouncing on a few practice squads and AAF since.

6 (201) Brandon Allen, QB, Arkansas
- Been third-string / backup QB for a few teams now, even started a game for Broncos last season after Joe Flacco got injured and before Drew Lock was in.

7 (226) Jonathan Woodward, DE, Central Arkansas
- Suffered a torn Achilles tendon a month after the draft and was cut year later. Been in a few practice squads, currently with the Bills.

Feels difficult grading them, I guess for Ramsey, Jack and Ngakoue all thepicks were quite good, and rest of the picks were lower round picks anyway so rarely you get a good player there. Overall it was a good draft.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
1st Round, 6th Overall - Ronnie Stanley, LT, Notre Dame
Picked a very good player at a very important position, not much else to say.
A

2nd Round, 36th Overall - Kamalei Correa, LB, Boise State

Player who was horribly mismanaged by Dean Pees while he was here and never flourished as a result of it. Seems to be doing better in Tennessee, but still not what one would want out of a 36th overall pick.
C-

3rd Round, 70th Overall - Bronson Kaufusi, DE, BYU

Never was able to land a regular position on the team, in Baltimore or New York.
F

4th Round, 104th Overall - Tavon Young, CB, Temple

A good slot corner, but has had a rough injury history.
B

4th Round, 107th Overall - Chris Moore, WR, Cincinnati

Solid special teams contributor who has no place taking regular offensive snaps.
C-

4th Round, 130th Overall - Alex Lewis, OL, Nebraska

Decent enough depth lineman.
C+

4th Round, 132nd Overall - Willie Henry, DT, Michigan

Tough to say with this one, showed some promise in 2017, the only season where he was healthy. Rough training camp in 2019 did him in, even though I'm not really sure he deserved it. I'm surprised he hasn't been given much of a look elsewhere.
D

4th Round, 134th Overall - Kenneth Dixon, RB, Louisiana Tech

Useful, strong, depth runningback with health issues. Another player who probably deserves more of a chance than he's been given.
B-

5th Round, 146th Overall - Matthew Judon, OLB, Grand Valley State

Great pass-rusher found this late in the draft, easily the best value pick of the entire draft.
A+

6th Round, 182nd Overall - Keenan Reynolds, WR, Navy

Didn't make the team in 2016, hasn't found any sort of consistent home in the NFL, now in the XFL.
F

6th Round, 209th Overall - Maurice Canady, CB, Virginia

Wasn't able to ever be a regular in the Ravens' stacked CB room, but is absolutely worthy to be a starting corner on a few NFL teams.
B-

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I loved the Treadwell pick at the time. Just watching tape at the time and knowing about the injury I knew speed was a concern but I thought everything else looked good to develop into a move the chains guy. What a swing and a miss.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I loved the Treadwell pick at the time. Just watching tape at the time and knowing about the injury I knew speed was a concern but I thought everything else looked good to develop into a move the chains guy. What a swing and a miss.

Same I remember having him as my Top WR. Without that injury he was probably a Top 10 pick. But like you said you still saw enough there. I don't even remember thinking about taking any non-WR with that pick. Sometimes WR need a little longer to develop so I was willing to give him benefit of the doubt in year 1, especially after Thielen started to come on. But by year two when he wasn't even standing out in preseason and still rarely seeing the field in 3 WR sets the writing was on the wall.

I think the him and Patterson make Spielman a little gun shy taking another WR in RD1. I think if he does it will be because he traded up for one of the Top 3 guys. If they stay at 22 and 25, I think the only way they take a WR is if Justin Jefferson gets by the Eagles, otherwise they'll pick a CB, T or DE and go with a WR in round 2 or 3 and probably take multiple WRs. Thielen will be 30 this year and after him its Tajae Sharpe, Bisi Johnson, Alex Hollins and Dillon Mitchell, yuck.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
1(4) Ezekiel Elliot, RB
The Cowboys desperately needed defensive help and arguably should've taken Ramsey or Buckner here, but after building their O-Line over the years, Zeke was the cherry on top. He's been as advertised and has dominated the league so far. I have concerns over the length of his career though given his punishing style. Grade A

2(34) Jaylon Smith, LB
Was seen as a risky pick after suffering a gruesome injury at the end of his college career. Was previously considered a top 5 talent before knee injury, fell to the 2nd round when some thought he wouldn't be able to play again. Has been playing at an elite level for two years now and along with Leighton Vander Esch he forms one of the top linebacker duos in the league. Grade A+

3(67) Maliek Collins, DT

Very solid pass-rushing defensive tackle who started over 50 games for the Cowboys over four seasons. He's only 25, and it sucks to see him leave in free agency. Grade B+

4(101) Charles Tapper, DE

There was optimism for him and he would've been given a solid opportunity because the Cowboys pass rush was in shambles at the time. A slew of injuries, both football and non-football, prohibited him from every really getting to play. He's apparently still on the Jets non-active roster. Grade D

4(135) Dak Prescott, QB

I know Dak has haters, but he's arguably the top QB from this draft. Thing is, Cowboys didn't even want him. They tried trading up for Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook before the two-time Pro Bowler fell into their laps. Grade A+

6(189) Anthony Brown, QB

Hasn't been bad for 6th round pick. Dallas needs help in the secondary, but their corners (Brown, Lewis and Awuzie) are serviceable. There also wasn't really any other corners available by the time Brown was taken. Grade B

6(212) Kavon Frazier, S

Was unspectacular as a backup safety for a few years. Wasn't able to do anything to continually get starts, which is problematic when the Cowboys' safety spot has been weak for as long as it has been. Is still a free agent who hasn't been signed, career is likely over. Grade F

6(216) Darius Jackson, RB

I really wanted to like him. And apparently, so did the Cowboys, because they gave him plenty of opportunities. I remember guys on r/Cowboys hyping him up, but even in pre-season, he did nothing. It was a strange pick with Zeke already on the team, and he was eventually cut when Darren McFadden got healthy. I think he's on the Colts practice roster right now. Grade D

6(217) Rico Gathers, TE

Project pick that really should not have been taken. Played college basketball and hadn't played football since middle school. They liked his size and athletic ability, and he looked alright in a few pre-season games, but after waiting around on the roster for a few years he was finally cut last season. Was picked up and later cut by the Browns too. Football career probably over. Dumb pick, but it ended up working well for the Cowboys who got an undrafted Blake Jarwin last year, who is looking solid and should be able to replace Witten. Grade D

Overall, super solid draft for the Cowboys, probably one of the better ones this century.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad