2016 Draft: 8th Pick: Aapeli Rasanen

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes Aapeli is Finland's top scorer but if we compare his stats in U18 WJC's where he scored 9 points ( 3+6) that 2+1 what he has now is passable performance.

It would have been absurd to expect that Aapeli would have been leading scorer of entire U20 WJC's this year.
No-one can't replace those points what Finland lost with Laine,Aho, Puljujarvi and Saarela.

Also in pre-tournament games and first 2 world junior games ( Czech Republic and Denmark) Aapeli was separated for Vesalainen and Tolvanen.
And that pissed me off because i expected Vesalainen Rasanen Tolvanen line will be Finland's 2nd line but coach Rautakorpi screwed those lines up .

Aapeli won't play together with Tolvanen in Sioux City next season.
Tolvanen has committed to Boston College so right now no-one can't say for sure where Aapeli plays next year.

Yeah I was just a little confused on what you expected from him. I think his productions been fine given how poorly Finland has performed. There's a big difference in competition at the U20's vs the U18's.

I'm not sure where he'll be next year, but I thought I heard somewhere he wanted to go the college route. I wonder if there's any possibility he gets an offer to Boston College. He seems to like playing with Tolvanen.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yes Aapeli is Finland's top scorer but if we compare his stats in U18 WJC's where he scored 9 points ( 3+6) that 2+1 what he has now is passable performance.

Considering the relative strengths of the teams, I consider u20 2+1=3 in 4 gp far more impressive than u18 3+6=9 in 7gp, personally. Heck, he leads his team in scoring. He also was a max ager at u18s, not so here.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Shame that insert of Aapeli didn't have English subtitles available.¨
It would have been good add in this thread and i'm sure most Oilers fans would have liked to see it. Damn YLE why they must Geo-block all their Hockey videos outside of Finland.

Yep, rather silly considering they wouldn't get a dime for these player portraits anyway. But, yeah, a very intelligent and sharp young man plus a great prospect (I bet).

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He doesn't look like extremely skilled player but he could be bottom6 Bergeron in the NHL if everything goes well.

Someone who can play with skill players, kill penalties and be very safe player.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I've seen that comparison before, Rasanen seems to be 5cm taller than Letestu.

Would that be a disappointing end result for 6th round pick?

If a 6th round pick makes it to the NHL, there's no way that pick can be considered disappointing.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Rasanen's biggest strength is that he's excellent in face-off circle.
Season 2014-2015 Rasanen represented Finland in U17 European Youth Olympic Festival tournament and there Aapeli's face-off percentage was 84% ( best in the tournament).
If Rasanen can win someday in NHL 70-80% to all his face-offs that would be really good.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
He doesn't look like extremely skilled player but he could be bottom6 Bergeron in the NHL if everything goes well.

Someone who can play with skill players, kill penalties and be very safe player.

I like his style - nothing fancy but simple, straightforward play and good hockey sense. Might be a real steal.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Rasanen's biggest strength is that he's excellent in face-off circle.
Season 2014-2015 Rasanen represented Finland in U17 European Youth Olympic Festival tournament and there Aapeli's face-off percentage was 84% ( best in the tournament).
If Rasanen can win someday in NHL 70-80% to all his face-offs that would be really good.

He would be the best faceoff man in the history of the game. In other words it is not likely to happen. Realistically a guy who can win 55% of his draws is a very good FO man. Lander is basically that guy and he is up and down. Rasanen has to develop other parts of his game to play in the NHL. Let's hope.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He would be the best faceoff man in the history of the game. In other words it is not likely to happen. Realistically a guy who can win 55% of his draws is a very good FO man. Lander is basically that guy and he is up and down. Rasanen has to develop other parts of his game to play in the NHL. Let's hope.

Last years U18 WJC's in Grand Forks Rasanen's face-off percentage was 68,9%.
He was 2nd best face-off taker after Otto Somppi(Tampa Bays 7th round pick in 2016 draft) who won 69% to all his draws.

I don't know exactly how those numbers turn to NHL but in FEL if center wins 55-60% to all his draws it's really good.
Also i don't think Rasanen won't never be a scoring oriented center like McDavid, Matthews or Barkov ( Not good comparison or example because Rasanen isn't like Barkov).
But that what he can be is solid 3rd line C with OK scoring ability and good in draws.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Last years U18 WJC's in Grand Forks Rasanen's face-off percentage was 68,9%.
He was 2nd best face-off taker after Otto Somppi(Tampa Bays 7th round pick in 2016 draft) who won 69% to all his draws.

I don't know exactly how those numbers statistics to NHL but in FEL if center wins 60-62% to all his draws it's really good.
Also i don't think Rasanen won't never be a scoring oriented center like McDavid, Matthews or Barkov ( Not good comparison or example because Rasanen isn't like Barkov).
But that what he can be is solid 3rd line C with OK scoring ability and good in draws.

To give you some sense of what 62% would mean in the NHL I looked at the ES FO% for all players with 1500 or more total draws going back to 2012-2013. Over that time frame the top FO guy was Malhotra at 60.3% with Bergeron second at 59.5%. Being consistently at 55% would put you in the top 15 or so.

In any given year a top FO guy might flirt with 60-62% but only the very best would consistently come close to those numbers. If you throw in SH FO the %-age actually drops. So for a guy with no pp time 55% on the draw would be exceptional. BUt even that is not enough to keep you in the NHL. You need to be able to contribute more broadly. Defensive ability will help a lot but being able to put up a few points is also very important as I am sure Anton Lander can tell you.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Aapeli Rasanen has been selected TOP3 player of team Finland in U20 WJC's.
Finland saved for relegation when they won Latvia 4-1 last night's 2nd relegation game.

In the 2nd Latvia game Rasanen assisted two powerplay goals for Finland.
Rasanen was also Finland's top scorer with Tolvanen both of them scored 6 points.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Aapeli Räsänen has committed to Boston College ( same university than Tolvanen) season 2017-2018.

Now trade up and draft Tolvanen :D

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
This guy seems to be pretty smart. He was on a Finnish money podcast where he talked about investing and studying economics in Usonia.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
why?
just so we can talk about how Graham McPhee scored twice as many points as him last season?
Lander 2.0 at best?

Well half of 24 isn't 16, and it was Rasanen's his first year in the NCAA compared to year 2 for McPhee. Also scored 4 goals at the WJC last year. He skates better and has better shot/finishing ability than Lander which were the things that held Lander back at the NHL level. Not saying he's a surefire NHLer but it's not the best comparison.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Well half of 24 isn't 16, and it was Rasanen's his first year in the NCAA compared to year 2 for McPhee. Also scored 4 goals at the WJC last year. He skates better and has better shot/finishing ability than Lander which were the things that held Lander back at the NHL level. Not saying he's a surefire NHLer but it's not the best comparison.

I like to use Mark Letestu as a comparable.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree with this assessment. Needs to continue to work on his skating (its ok, definitely not Lander bad) and get a bit stronger, but a 2-way guy who isn't afraid to go to the front of the net, and underrated playmaking ability. I'm not sure his shot is any better than Lander, but I do like his net front game and that could see him chip in some goals at the NHL level if he makes it.

If he turns into a 4th line centre I'd be pretty happy with that given his skillset.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Yeah, leading his team in goals during the WJC was a nice plus on his season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad