2016 Draft: 7th Pick: Graham McPhee

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
And maybe sometime scouts are wrong foif he r letting them drop, kucherov dropped and seems to be making all the scouts that passed on him look foolish

you are comparing a guy taken in the 2nd round to a guy taken in the 7th round?

if he was taken in the 5th round and Kemp in the 7th==I could see your arguement

but there is a difference between the 2nd and 7th round for players dropping

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
lets wait till he turns pro before we jump the gun with him

lets let him develop and see where he goes..

I wish I had saved all those Greg Chase comments this board had from a few years ago

this is not the 1980's where uni players scared off nhl teams--if a uni player drops scouts may see something the rest of us do not
Absolutely with any of these guys you want to see their transition to the pro-game. I'd be a lot more inclined to believe in McPhee if he puts up a near PPG season next year (compared to Chase) given that NCAA is a much harder league to score in than the CHL. Chase's draft+2 was a major concern and that showed when he turned pro. Until McPhee gives me reason not to believe in him I won't doubt him because of another player's failures. He's no lock to make the NHL, but he's tracking well and having watched him a few times this year he appears to have the tools to compete against stronger and more physically mature competition than Chase had in the CHL.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
lets wait till he turns pro before we jump the gun with him

lets let him develop and see where he goes..

I wish I had saved all those Greg Chase comments this board had from a few years ago

this is not the 1980's where uni players scared off nhl teams--if a uni player drops scouts may see something the rest of us do not

Who is jumping the gun?

Who is not letting him develop?

Why do you need to talk about Greg Chase in every topic about a late round prospect?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I knew it!

You’re Greg Chase!

giphy.gif

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Intriguing decision for the Oilers here. His numbers never matched his sophomore season at BC. But the Eagles added some high end forwards since then and they were one of the top teams in the NCAA this past season.

Could he one day fill a lower line role?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Intriguing decision for the Oilers here. His numbers never matched his sophomore season at BC. But the Eagles added some high end forwards since then and they were one of the top teams in the NCAA this past season.

I would only sign him to an AHL show me deal at this point in time. I know some of you say that I am over conservative when it comes to the 50 contract limit but I like having wiggle room and being at 49/50 contract limits are ability to fall into a player

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He is a guy that I felt would have a pro career and then his stats tanked. I would at least sign him to an AHL deal and would still consider an NHL deal for him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He also signed an AHL deal with the Condors. I liked what I saw of him early on in the NCAA but then his stats suffered.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
He also signed an AHL deal with the Condors. I liked what I saw of him early on in the NCAA but then his stats suffered.
It will be interesting to see what he's able to do in Vienna. Might be a sneak peek at what to expect from him in the AHL, I'd imagine he's a good enough for a Top 6/9 role on one of austria's top teams.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG

The problem with the current development models for young players is that when they end up somewhere that isn’t befitting their development they are screwed. In CHL they can demand a trade and have a “problematic” label slapped on them. They can’t go to NCAA as they’ll have lost their eligibility. In NCAA there are costs associated with switching programs (you at least can’t play for a year and it might cost you a year of playing as well). So if the new coach doesn’t like you you are screwed. And if I’m not mistaken, the Rangers hired their new coach in 2017 from Boston College.

Spitballing - it would be great if CHL stopped paying their players at all and figured someway around it. So guys who go to the CHL and find that it doesn’t work still have NCAA eligibility they can explore. Leaves them outs. As for the NCAA issues someone like McPhee might have experienced I don’t have a solution. Because at a certain age you can’t play CHL anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad