2016 Draft: 5th Pick: Filip Berglund

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
FYI: Berglund signed for 2 more years in Sweden prior to the draft, citing that his 'skillful' game suits the way Skellefteå plays.
http://www.skellefteaaik.se/artikel/63w3aio2x-5n5bi1/

Fine by me. Let him gain some confidence over there where he's comfortable, playing against men and hopefully he breaks out offensively and is able to make the jump to the AHL either next year or the year after. He'll probably get more opportunity to build his offensive creativity over there.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
CHia's done a very good job of stockpiling this organization with D prospects..most notable names:

Ziyat Paigin, Berglund, Marino, Desharnais. Bear, Jones and Nemelainen

Ladra

Jan 29, 2011
Just found out that one of my employes are a relative to Filip Berglund. Found that kinda funny :yo:

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Still a bit concerned they haven't signed him. Does anyone know how long nhl teams carry the rights for euro players?

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Oilers have got the rights to Berglund until June 30th 2020.
As I reported a couple of months ago, the problem is that he is signed in Sweden until 2020. I hope he has an NHL out clause or that he can sign with Edmonton even if he decides to stay one more year.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
As for his communication with the Edmonton Oilers, Berglund said he’s talking to their Swedish scout Pelle Eklund every once in a while.

“There’s a lot of texting back and forth. They want to see how I’m doing. I also actually meet (Senior VP of Hockey Operations) Craig MacTavish earlier in the year. He was in Skellefteå to see me play and that was obviously nice”, Filip Berglund said.

Filip Berglund is under contract until the 2019/20 season, but could leave for North America earlier if he signs with the Oilers as all SHL players have out clause for NHL in their contracts. With that said, he’s in no hurry to move overseas and make Skellefteå native Adam Larsson company.

“I don’t feel like I’m done in Skellefteå yet, but I think I’m making progress and I hope to make even more progress next season. Then we’ll see what happens after that”, he said.
Oilers prospects turning heads during Swedish playoffs

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Oh good, he got to meet Mac T.

Hopefully Craig showed up at the right rink the first time around.

Berglund: "Hello, Mr. MacTavish! It's great to finally meet someone from the organi-"

MacT: "Do I know you? Never mind, my rental's parked in a handicap zone outside so I'll make this quick. Do you know where Puljujarvi is playing? PLEASE say he's in this building, I've been looking for this bloody kid for over a year now!"

Berglund: "..."

Reactions: Senor Catface

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hopefully he has a big year this upcoming season and then we sign him and he becomes a decent player at the NA pro level fairly quickly.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
To me his skating looks improved, several nice little rushes in that clip. He still says he wants to work more on it, and since it seems to have worked so far I'd hope it could improve further next season.

Honestly I want to see him being a top D in SHL next year.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Another year in Sweden followed by a nice transition to NA is what I'm hoping for. This team really needs a late round steal on D..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad