2016 Draft: 5th Pick: Filip Berglund

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I wonder what a reasonable timeframe would be for him to come over. 2017-2018? Same time as Paigin?

Wouldn't that duo be a shot in the arm for Bakersfield to get at the same time...

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I wonder what a reasonable timeframe would be for him to come over. 2017-2018? Same time as Paigin?

Wouldn't that duo be a shot in the arm for Bakersfield to get at the same time...

He's probably gonna look to try and play SHL full-time next year, which might be a struggle. I'd expect him to be established in the SHL the year after that. At best he is coming over 2018-19 IMO, probably later than that. There's not really any rush, he's in a good system, let him develop slowly.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Im intrigued. In SuperElit league he posted 41 points in 43 games (19 goals too). For reference Karlsson put up 38 points in 37 games, Hedman 25 in 34.

Not to sure how leagues work there, but still really good numbers

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Im intrigued. In SuperElit league he posted 41 points in 43 games (19 goals too). For reference Karlsson put up 38 points in 37 games, Hedman 25 in 34.

Not to sure how leagues work there, but still really good numbers

They did that as 16/17 year olds.

Berglund is 19.

Still impressive numbers though.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Is Berglund related to Berglund?

I'm pretty sure that a guy with the last name of Berglund is related to some other people with the last name Berglund :sarcasm:

Now if you were asking if he's related to Patrick Berglund then I have no idea :naughty:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Filip has no relation to Patrik as far as I know. Berglund is a fairly common name in Sweden.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
:laugh:

I like the idea of this pick. Our last overage Swedish Dman is doing quite well...in Chicago...

Big difference now is that Euro players rights are controlled by the drafting team for 4 years instead of 2(change made in the last CBA), so we get to hang onto Berglund until he is 23. By that time we should have a really good idea of if he has any NHL potential.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Big difference now is that Euro players rights are controlled by the drafting team for 4 years instead of 2(change made in the last CBA), so we get to hang onto Berglund until he is 23. By that time we should have a really good idea of if he has any NHL potential.

Ahh well that's pretty sweet. I wasn't aware of that!

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Did some "boxscore scouting".

162 shots on goal (3.8 per game) during the regular season, first on his team by about 40. There was no difference between the first half when he played only the northern teams and the second half when he played the top 10 U20 teams in Sweden. His shooting percentage also held steady through the year.

He only had 8 games with one or fewer shots on goal and 17 where he fired 5 or more. He was one of only 4 players (and the only defenceman) to fire more than 100 shots in the first half of the year and one of only 3 (again, only defenceman) to fire 60 or more in the second half. Going back to 2011-12 I found only one other defenceman (an undersized 19 year old) with 100 or more SOGs in the first half.

In the first half he had more goals than assists (12-8-20 in 27 games). In the second half he actually lead his team in scoring (7-14-21 in 16) and his assists picked up despite the team losing their leading scorer from the first half. I think the changes in assists per game was shooting percentage driven since Skellefteå had the 2nd worst SH% in the first half and the 2nd best SH% in the second half. Overall I think it balances out to an average team SH% over the course of the season so no worries there.

His playoff performance wasn't as impressive but I think that may be due to injuries because he missed the final 2 games of the regular season and a playoff game. Just a guess though, didn't read any reports or anything.

So to sum up, he likes to shoot and he actually gets it through.

Trekak

Feb 21, 2016
His playoff performance wasn't as impressive but I think that may be due to injuries because he missed the final 2 games of the regular season and a playoff game. Just a guess though, didn't read any reports or anything.

Nice summary. For information regarding the quoted part, he was not injured - he was with the SHL team at the time

Last edited:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Did some "boxscore scouting".

162 shots on goal (3.8 per game) during the regular season, first on his team by about 40. There was no difference between the first half when he played only the northern teams and the second half when he played the top 10 U20 teams in Sweden. His shooting percentage also held steady through the year.

He only had 8 games with one or fewer shots on goal and 17 where he fired 5 or more. He was one of only 4 players (and the only defenceman) to fire more than 100 shots in the first half of the year and one of only 3 (again, only defenceman) to fire 60 or more in the second half. Going back to 2011-12 I found only one other defenceman (an undersized 19 year old) with 100 or more SOGs in the first half.

In the first half he had more goals than assists (12-8-20 in 27 games). In the second half he actually lead his team in scoring (7-14-21 in 16) and his assists picked up despite the team losing their leading scorer from the first half. I think the changes in assists per game was shooting percentage driven since Skellefteå had the 2nd worst SH% in the first half and the 2nd best SH% in the second half. Overall I think it balances out to an average team SH% over the course of the season so no worries there.

So to sum up, he likes to shoot and he actually gets it through.

images

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad