2016 Draft: 3rd Pick: Markus Niemelainen

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I hated this pick in every conceivable way.

A strong draft and still a high enough pick to get an impact player wasted on a guy who had bottom pairing defender at best written all over him.

A tall, weak, stay at home LEFT shooting defenseman was the last thing the Oilers needed.

The comparisons to Marincin absolutely terrible. Marincin at the same age had ten time the skill/offense. Going after a guy who projects to be Marincin but with significantly less offensive is crazy imo.

He was passed by many because he had a terrible skill set. Drives me nuts that the Oilers end up with picks like this. Everyone passed on him... He must be good...? Maybe everyone else did their homework.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Which RD should Edm have selected?

I cannot say that I am happy with this pick as things are looking right now. But a 3rd round D pick has at least another year or two to show their worth.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Which RD should Edm have selected?

I cannot say that I am happy with this pick as things are looking right now. But a 3rd round D pick has at least another year or two to show their worth.
Not a RD but the Oilers should have taken a risk and picked Sean Day. Both Nemo and Day fell at the draft but both were worth taking a risk on considering we had 2 more 3rd round picks afterwards.

Reactions: LaGu and Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Not a RD but the Oilers should have taken a risk and picked Sean Day. Both Nemo and Day fell at the draft but both were worth taking a risk on considering we had 2 more 3rd round picks afterwards.

Agree with this. If you're going to risk a pick on a huge d-man with great skating, might as well double down on the former exceptional status player.

Reactions: LaGu

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I hated this pick in every conceivable way.

A strong draft and still a high enough pick to get an impact player wasted on a guy who had bottom pairing defender at best written all over him.

A tall, weak, stay at home LEFT shooting defenseman was the last thing the Oilers needed.

The comparisons to Marincin absolutely terrible. Marincin at the same age had ten time the skill/offense. Going after a guy who projects to be Marincin but with significantly less offensive is crazy imo.

He was passed by many because he had a terrible skill set. Drives me nuts that the Oilers end up with picks like this. Everyone passed on him... He must be good...? Maybe everyone else did their homework.
If this is the case I agree 100%. Shouldn't be wasting any time developing guys that we can get for cheap in free agency, trade or waivers.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
GM's and scouts still hold size in high regard which was the biggest thing going for this prospect. He probably should have been taken at least a round later based on his fairly pedestrian stats.

Taken in that context... if a 4th rounder doesn't turn out it's really not surprising... but you'd hope a #63 pick (essentially equivalent to a very late 2nd round pick) would turn into something.

Reactions: Aerchon

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Kind of a bummer considering guys like Fox, Dineen, Mahura, Abramov and Bitten were still on the board at the time. But hey, it's the third round. Decent chance only two or three of the fellas taken in that stage of the draft ever become regulars anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad