2016 Draft: 3rd Pick: Markus Niemelainen

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
He's been paired with Filip Hronek in Saginaw most of this season, and Hronek is extremely offensively oriented. That's why his offense is down, spending a lot of time covering for him.

I didn't mean to come off to be concerned over his offence. Going from -23 to +1 with only 5 points is impressive no matter who you are. Especially considering how much he is playing, I'm assuming.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I didn't mean to come off to be concerned over his offence. Going from -23 to +1 with only 5 points is impressive no matter who you are. Especially considering how much he is playing, I'm assuming.

Totally misread your post in my sleep deprived state last night. I'm pretty well in the same boat as you are, his +/- is really impressive this season considering the team he's playing for. Saginaw as a team has a -30 goal differential this season.

I'm really interested to see where he plays next year. He's officially listed as a loan to Saginaw, so the option is there to have him turn pro in North America but with the influx of DMen heading to Bakersfield next season I'm not sure that's the best option.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Totally misread your post in my sleep deprived state last night. I'm pretty well in the same boat as you are, his +/- is really impressive this season considering the team he's playing for. Saginaw as a team has a -30 goal differential this season.

I'm really interested to see where he plays next year. He's officially listed as a loan to Saginaw, so the option is there to have him turn pro in North America but with the influx of DMen heading to Bakersfield next season I'm not sure that's the best option.

Wow didn't know the team Diff.

I usually don't even look at +/- anymore but that is ridiculous. I didn't think he looked out of place at the young stars tourney. I guess a lot will depend if the big club looses a Dman to expansion.

I notice non-oiler members posting trade offers with him in them lately.

Last edited:

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Sounds like he's going to re-enter the draft? That's sad news.
I really hope we start figuring out how to develop draft picks sooner than later.

Source: Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Sun.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sounds like he had regressed here in Europe. I have not seen him play but a few of my buddies have and they compared the way he has played to the way Martin Marcinin played

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Even if he's here for another year, it'd be nice to see him flipped to a team like Winnipeg who has a need for up and coming Dmen. They've got a good influx of Finns in their system and he'd be a good gamble for them in Manitoba. Good size, good mobility, solid pedigree.

I'd do a straight up trade for a waiver eligible guy like Petan.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
TSN is using matty as their source
What I found funny was seeing this on their ticker. Why was it even news to make that? And it wasn't just the good old "the oilers aren't re-signing so and so", it went on to explain why and how he's such a disappointment.
what is worse is some scouts had him listed as a first rounder and so did some talking heads

Markus Niemelainen - Twitter Search

what people on twitter were saying about him

For me, I think it was people saw his size and saw how he played against kids in jr and that just has not translated to the pro game--maybe if he stayed in JR in Canada it would have been better

my guess he may have gotten home sick
I wonder if there is potential for him yet. He's still young and it's not the first time a guy with size took some time to develop. Him being in Europe might actually play to our fabour

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I agree he hasn’t shown a ton of progress since being drafted, but it’s ridiculous to write this kid off.

It’s rare to find a player with his combination of size and skating. If it clicks for him, he could still pan out.

It helps that we own his right for two more years.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
What I found funny was seeing this on their ticker. Why was it even news to make that? And it wasn't just the good old "the oilers aren't re-signing so and so", it went on to explain why and how he's such a disappointment.

TSN doing this just to show that the Oilers suck and Leafs are ze bestttttt

I wonder if there is potential for him yet. He's still young and it's not the first time a guy with size took some time to develop. Him being in Europe might actually play to our fabour

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad