2016 Draft: 1st Pick: Jesse Puljujarvi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he looked alright. He was still never a driver and likely always would have been a complimentary sniper, but he sure did shoot the puck well when he actually had some confidence. If he could ever re-find his confidence he would break 20 goals easily.

Even if you remove his little streak over the last three games of that season which inflated his totals, he had numbers similar to Hall or Eberle in their rookie years.

Yeah, he will probably never be the driver- but as you alluded to, he at least displayed some confidence. There was swagger in his step and he was looking poised to be a legit 30-30 guy in his prime despite his sub-par hockey IQ.

He'll be a nice flank to Lucic and McDavid. Hope McLellan sees reason and puts him there instead of Eberle.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I still think Hossa in his prime is the best comparable for pulju. Idk if he hits that but if he does that's better then hall

I'd agree with the comparable as the type of player he could be. You'll probably take some heat for it because Hossa scored 100 points one year, but scoring was much higher at the time. I don't think its impossible to see Puljujarvi scoring ppg in his prime playing with McDavid, and he certainly has a hell of a one-timer and a beautiful wrister.

Obviously he has a ways to go to get there, but Hossa had even further to go to get there at Pulju's age.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Even if you remove his little streak over the last three games of that season which inflated his totals, he had numbers similar to Hall or Eberle in their rookie years.

Yeah, he will probably never be the driver- but as you alluded to, he at least displayed some confidence. There was swagger in his step and he was looking poised to be a legit 30-30 guy in his prime despite his sub-par hockey IQ.

He'll be a nice flank to Lucic and McDavid. Hope McLellan sees reason and puts him there instead of Eberle.

Yeah I hope Yak can turn it around this year. Needs to come into camp with an open mind and keep things loose. Get back to just playing the game and having fun, thats when he was at his best. Definitely an easy kid to root for.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Eberle is one player that should be loving the Lucic addition. Yes, he's small and soft, but when he has space he's still a deadly player in the offencive zone. Putting him with Maroon and Draisaitl is a second line I'd be more than happy with. That leaves you with Pouliot and RNH achoring the third line with either Kassian, Pakman or Pulju on their right side.

Hall who? :sarcasm:

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
The reason for lack of "wow" kind of stats for high end prospects playing in FEL is that they have to start the season in the lower lines, adjust to playing against men and really earn their minutes in the top six. The league has tough competition and it is heavily defensive, and most important of all, most teams have really good depth; you can't feast on inferior competition and pad your stats. Pulju played in Kärpät which is the best team in FEL and cracked in their top six in the 2nd half of the season. Same for Laine in Tappara. If you want to compare them to other players, ignore the 1st half of the season and use only 2nd half + playoffs.

One thing is for sure: Puljujärvi will NEVER take a shift off. He has so much heart for the game that all his coaches to date have admitted that they haven't seen anything like it before. After he quit school as a 13/14yo he has concentrated completely on training and playing hockey. (That's why his English is so bad. :) )

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The reason for lack of "wow" kind of stats for high end prospects playing in FEL is that they have to start the season in the lower lines, adjust to playing against men and really earn their minutes in the top six. The league has tough competition and it is heavily defensive, and most important of all, most teams have really good depth; you can't feast on inferior competition and pad your stats. Pulju played in Kärpät which is the best team in FEL and cracked in their top six in the 2nd half of the season. Same for Laine in Tappara. If you want to compare them to other players, ignore the 1st half of the season and use only 2nd half + playoffs.

One thing is for sure: Puljujärvi will NEVER take a shift off. He has so much heart for the game that all his coaches to date have admitted that they haven't seen anything like it before. After he quit school as a 13/14yo he has concentrated completely on training and playing hockey. (That's why his English is so bad. :) )

I appreciate the knowledge many Finnish fans like yourself have passed on. Pulju will be taken care of, he will be royalty on the western Canadian prairie Provinces. Look at how we stood by our losing team. Give EDM a winner and you will see why they call Oiler fans the best in the NHL.

Lucic-McDavid-Pulju will one day be the 1st line for the Oilers. We want to make sure Pulju is ready first, no pressure. He's coming into a good situation. If Pulju needs to play in the AHL, that's fine. If he's ready to play on the 3rd line with Maroon and Drai, that works.

Imagine:
Maroon-Drai-Pulju

That would be the 3rd line for the Oilers. Drai-Pulju would have crazy mismatches on the 3rd line. Pulju is coming into a perfect situation. This is Connor McDavids team. Pulju does not need to be a saviour, we'll do what is right for him, day by day.

Eventually Pulju will be with McDavid, but there is no rush or expectation. He's coming into a comfortable environment, he has a long future with the Oilers. Can't wait for Pulju to move to Alberta.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
As a Finn who has lived a part of life in NA I would suggest that you keep Pulju in AHL for as many as 40-50 games. He should master his English, get used to NA lifestyle and same time maintain his confidence which is possible in AHL.

I would give him only 20-25 games in Edmonton, all after Christmas. He should be OK to be top9 forward in playoffs. I assume us to have some playoff hockey in the next year.

Kyyrii

May 30, 2016
That would be the 3rd line for the Oilers. Drai-Pulju would have crazy mismatches on the 3rd line. Pulju is coming into a perfect situation. This is Connor McDavids team. Pulju does not need to be a saviour, we'll do what is right for him, day by day.

Eventually Pulju will be with McDavid, but there is no rush or expectation. He's coming into a comfortable environment, he has a long future with the Oilers. Can't wait for Pulju to move to Alberta.

It is good thing that Pulju comes to a team, that isn't entirely dependant on him. I am almost certain that part of his lack of production when last season started, is the huge pressure Pulju set to himself. He had to prove that he earns his spot in first line, that he can play in a big role in men's league at age 17. He had to prove that he can be defensively responsible, score goals and be a good complete player. Which is insane, because you are just 17 and starting your first full season with men... But that's our Pulju, always setting huge goals for himself. When he finally, after wjc, figured which kind of a player he wants to be (Malkin, from Jesse's mouth), he started to play much better. He also got much more confidence, because he started to found the net more. He did notice that things which have worked against kids, do work against adults too. Hence almost PPG production all the way to play-offs.

And yes, Jesse has also ripped competition in every age group he has played in. Years younger than majority of the players. Actually I don't even know when was the last time, that Jesse has played more than couple of playes with boys same age than him. This April was first time since Pohjola year (15 yo) when Jesse played in a tournament, where his age group is the oldest.

So, now to the production of Jesse:

2011-12
Kärpät U16 Qualification Series 7 g 5+2
Kärpät U16 23 g 10+24
Kärpät U16 PO's 8g 4+6
(This is the season when Jesse moved alone to Oulu. He was 13 whole season.)

2012-13
Kärpät U16 Q 1 g 0+2
Kärpät U16 8 g 12+8
Kärpät U18 42 g 31+20
Kärpät U16 PO's 11 g 15+9
Kärpät U18 PO's 3 g 0+1
(He was 14 whole season.)

2013-14
Kärpät U16 1 g 2+3
Kärpät U18 8 g 7+7
Kärpät U20 18 g 12+11
Kärpät U16 PO's 4g 4+3
Kärpät U20 PO's 12 g 7+0
Finland U17 7 g 4+4
(He was 15 whole season. He also started his season in November because he broke his femur during pre-season.)

2014-15
Kärpät U20 11 g 12+6
Kärpät FEL 21 g 4+7
Hokki Div 1 15 g 8+5
Kärpät U20 PO's 5g 2+1
Hokki PO's 3 g 0+1
Kärpät Champions HL 3 g 0+0
Finland U18 Ivan Hlinka 4g 3+2
WJC18 7 g 2+5
Finland U18 16g 6+7
WJC20 5 g 0+0
Finland U20 13 g 3+5
(He was 16 whole season. Made his first assist in his first FEL game, made his first goal in his third FEL game. Youngest Kärppä player ever to made it to the team.)

2015-16
Kärpät FEL 50 g 13+15 (He did step up his game after wjc, just like Teräväinen and Rantanen before him: 19 g 8+8)
Kärpät PO's 10 g 4+5
Kärpät Champions HL 10 g 0+2
WJC18 4 g 5+2
WJC20 7 g 5+12
Finland U20 15 g 9+14
(He was 17 whole season. He did strugle at the beginning of the season. He did get hurt early March, played through PO's with injured knee and shoulder and in U18's with multiple knacks.)

Basically he was sniper when he was younger. He has come more complete player during those two years in Kärpät men's team. And I also agree, that Kärpät playing style doesn't compliment Jesse. His style of play is much more NA style than normal Finnish hockey prospects has have during years. The scoring ability is there, it just has been faded because Kärpät do require more D orientated game than in juniors or mainly in every other FEL team.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That scoreless U20 WJC as a 16 year old also wasn't very indicative of his play imo. I remember him being one of Finland's more dangerous players that year he just couldn't get any puck luck or catch a break. Hit numerous posts as well if I remember correctly.

Edit: Yeah I just went back and looked. He had 26 SOG in those 5 games and a lot were very high quality. Amazing that he went scoreless that tournament.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Honestly, we don't need 'wow' stats that much on our team. Everything Puljujarvi is advertised as is everything we need. He's got speed, size, and a good two-way game. And he shoots right handed.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I hope Puljujarvi and Caggiula both make the team. They should be better than wingers such as Yakupov and Kassian.

I'd give Kassian a chance. He had a tough situation coming in last season going through rehab, healing from his broken foot, and missing about 3 months of hockey. Give him a good summer to get in shape and a proper training camp and he could be the useful player he was in Vancouver. I'd expect to see both Puljujarvi and Caggiula at some point next season whether its out of camp or due to injuries, but we'll see how Caggiula's game translates against bigger, better, and stronger opponents.

Kyyrii

May 30, 2016
That scoreless U20 WJC as a 16 year old also wasn't very indicative of his play imo. I remember him being one of Finland's more dangerous players that year he just couldn't get any puck luck or catch a break. Hit numerous posts as well if I remember correctly.

Edit: Yeah I just went back and looked. He had 26 SOG in those 5 games and a lot were very high quality. Amazing that he went scoreless that tournament.

Yeah. The whole team was in some kind of lock, PP sucked big time and nobody was productive. Jesse was awesome given his age, I haven't see that good 0+0 performance ever. With little better luck Jesse would have done something like 5+2 atleast. Luckily he fares nowadays a bit better.

Beetle

Mar 30, 2010
How does Puljujarvi compare to Barkov? I know they play different positions, but they both play two-way games and had a lot of hype headed into the draft. Curious how they stack up as prospects and who was thought of more highly in their draft years.

The numbers don't seem all that close, but a lot of people are suggesting Puljujarvi played better than his stats show. So I'm wondering if they're close or not.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
How does Puljujarvi compare to Barkov? I know they play different positions, but they both play two-way games and had a lot of hype headed into the draft. Curious how they stack up as prospects and who was thought of more highly in their draft years.

The numbers don't seem all that close, but a lot of people are suggesting Puljujarvi played better than his stats show. So I'm wondering if they're close or not.

In my uneducated, internet researcher point of view, I like comparing Puljujarvi to Landeskog more. Barkov as the big skilled center seems more like a better version of Draisaitl. As a prospect, I recall Barkov being incredible. Barkov is a cornerstone type of prospect, and of course now he's NHL established and proven so he's on another tier than Puljujarvi.

Puljujarvi seems a lot better than his last half season indicate though, like others say, and many of those claim to have watched games and agree he was snake-bitten. Add that to his knee injury and you have him at #4 overall when at the start of the season he was #2 ranked

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I hope Puljujarvi and Caggiula both make the team. They should be better than wingers such as Yakupov and Kassian.

The good thing with having depth is you have options. If they have great camps, let them have a few games. If they are still kinda learning the ropes ... no problem, you have a perfectly good AHL team in sunny California.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
This is a clip I like to watch sometimes. Puljujärvi was 16 at that tournament and was kind of dominating but was held without points the entire tournament. You can see right away that his game fits in NA rinks.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It is good thing that Pulju comes to a team, that isn't entirely dependant on him. I am almost certain that part of his lack of production when last season started, is the huge pressure Pulju set to himself. He had to prove that he earns his spot in first line, that he can play in a big role in men's league at age 17. He had to prove that he can be defensively responsible, score goals and be a good complete player. Which is insane, because you are just 17 and starting your first full season with men... But that's our Pulju, always setting huge goals for himself. When he finally, after wjc, figured which kind of a player he wants to be (Malkin, from Jesse's mouth), he started to play much better. He also got much more confidence, because he started to found the net more. He did notice that things which have worked against kids, do work against adults too. Hence almost PPG production all the way to play-offs.

And yes, Jesse has also ripped competition in every age group he has played in. Years younger than majority of the players. Actually I don't even know when was the last time, that Jesse has played more than couple of playes with boys same age than him. This April was first time since Pohjola year (15 yo) when Jesse played in a tournament, where his age group is the oldest.

So, now to the production of Jesse:

2011-12
Kärpät U16 Qualification Series 7 g 5+2
Kärpät U16 23 g 10+24
Kärpät U16 PO's 8g 4+6
(This is the season when Jesse moved alone to Oulu. He was 13 whole season.)

2012-13
Kärpät U16 Q 1 g 0+2
Kärpät U16 8 g 12+8
Kärpät U18 42 g 31+20
Kärpät U16 PO's 11 g 15+9
Kärpät U18 PO's 3 g 0+1
(He was 14 whole season.)

2013-14
Kärpät U16 1 g 2+3
Kärpät U18 8 g 7+7
Kärpät U20 18 g 12+11
Kärpät U16 PO's 4g 4+3
Kärpät U20 PO's 12 g 7+0
Finland U17 7 g 4+4
(He was 15 whole season. He also started his season in November because he broke his femur during pre-season.)

2014-15
Kärpät U20 11 g 12+6
Kärpät FEL 21 g 4+7
Hokki Div 1 15 g 8+5
Kärpät U20 PO's 5g 2+1
Hokki PO's 3 g 0+1
Kärpät Champions HL 3 g 0+0
Finland U18 Ivan Hlinka 4g 3+2
WJC18 7 g 2+5
Finland U18 16g 6+7
WJC20 5 g 0+0
Finland U20 13 g 3+5
(He was 16 whole season. Made his first assist in his first FEL game, made his first goal in his third FEL game. Youngest Kärppä player ever to made it to the team.)

2015-16
Kärpät FEL 50 g 13+15 (He did step up his game after wjc, just like Teräväinen and Rantanen before him: 19 g 8+8)
Kärpät PO's 10 g 4+5
Kärpät Champions HL 10 g 0+2
WJC18 4 g 5+2
WJC20 7 g 5+12
Finland U20 15 g 9+14
(He was 17 whole season. He did strugle at the beginning of the season. He did get hurt early March, played through PO's with injured knee and shoulder and in U18's with multiple knacks.)

Basically he was sniper when he was younger. He has come more complete player during those two years in Kärpät men's team. And I also agree, that Kärpät playing style doesn't compliment Jesse. His style of play is much more NA style than normal Finnish hockey prospects has have during years. The scoring ability is there, it just has been faded because Kärpät do require more D orientated game than in juniors or mainly in every other FEL team.

Awesome list. Yeah I remember Jesse being highly touted and I think the first time I heard of him was when he was 13 years old or something. Always considered a goal scorer first and foremost but last season we saw a different type of a player. A guy who can dominate games with sheer speed and vision. Especially in the national team he adjusted into his new role as "the side kick" for Laine and instead of being the goal scorer, played as a playmaker and nearly tied Jagr's historical record in the WJC. This kid is a combination of immense speed, skill and size. Very hard to find these days. He has enormous ceiling and as I've said before, it's hard to predict at this point whether he will be the next Hossa or the next Kovalchuk, or maybe entirely something else. At the end of the day no matter what, he will be Jesse Puljujärvi, a kid from Finland carving his own path and writing his own history. I wouldn't even call him sufficient replacement for Hall because it wouldn't do him the honours. He has the potential to become every bit as good. Of course we never have any guarantees but I have a lot of faith. Regardless of how Jesse's career pans out, I can pretty safely say he's not going to disappoint anyone.

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton
This is a clip I like to watch sometimes. Puljujärvi was 16 at that tournament and was kind of dominating but was held without points the entire tournament. You can see right away that his game fits in NA rinks.

Lol that's actually crazy.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Is he signed yet? What's holding it up?

Maybe they are waiting for him to come to Edmonton in person? He hasn't come down for the orientation camp because he's still rehabbing his knee in Finland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->