OT: 2016 Blue Bombers Thread Part Trois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
will MOS being a legit Toronto target, it would be laughable to offer him 2 years.
3 years is the right move.
Bombers stink next year and you re-assess. doubt they will. Sask will probably stink more.

We don't know how legit it is. Argos may fire Milanovich soon, they may not. IMO it would be foolish for O'Shea to turn down a two year offer from the Bombers in hopes that Toronto will fire Milanovich and (maybe) offer him three years.

Two year contract makes it much easier to re-assess after next season. Three year contract, not so much. Like I said, I highly doubt that Miller will want to eat two years worth of O'Shea's salary.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
We don't know how legit it is. Argos may fire Milanovich soon, they may not. IMO it would be foolish for O'Shea to turn down a two year offer from the Bombers in hopes that Toronto will fire Milanovich and (maybe) offer him three years.

Two year contract makes it much easier to re-assess after next season. Three year contract, not so much. Like I said, I highly doubt that Miller will want to eat two years worth of O'Shea's salary.

MOS could have dragged on negotiations.
we have no idea what happened behind the scenes. but you're basically putting MOS into the position of being a lame duck coach of sorts.

no coach would strive for a 2 year contract. i don't know, man. you are a bit jaded about the process and results. and about the QB. lol

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
MOS could have dragged on negotiations.
we have no idea what happened behind the scenes. but you're basically putting MOS into the position of being a lame duck coach of sorts.

no coach would strive for a 2 year contract. i don't know, man. you are a bit jaded about the process and results. and about the QB. lol

Hard not to be jaded, no? It's wait and see for me, that goes for MOS, Walters and Nichols. And yeah, there's no question I'm erring on the side of pessimism.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Hard not to be jaded, no? It's wait and see for me, that goes for MOS, Walters and Nichols. And yeah, there's no question I'm erring on the side of pessimism.

i assume i'm older than a lot of posters on here. i'm at the point in my life where i say that as long as i'm entertained, i'm satisfied. we watch sports as entertainment. championships are a lovely cherry on the cake.

i was in Belgium during the Bombers' playoff game. the results showed that it was an entertaining game.

the Grey Cup this year was incredibly entertaining. would have been great for Wpg to be there, but game-wise, you couldn't ask for much more.

and you have to admit that, even though you don't like him, the Nichols era was incredibly entertaining. lots of excellent games and memories. this was the most exciting and entertaining team Wpg's had since Charles Roberts was our runningback.

so i see your pessimism, but the team moved in a nice area. my only worry is that we don't have our kicker or a starting QB back with the team. i'm totally fine with Nichols being the QB again (and getting a legit prospect as the back-up).

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Nichols wanting $400k+ is a joke. I hope the Bombers learned from the Willy deal and don't make the same mistake. And Willy was twice the talent Nichols is. I bet they make a stupid move and give him a ridiculous amount.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/12/13/word-is-bombers-qb-nichols-after-big-coin-to-stay

Word is he wants big bucks, north of $400,000 a season, in his next deal.

His agent, down in Seattle, is as tight-lipped as they come.

“We have exchanged proposals, but that's about all,” Cameron Foster told me. “I don't really talk that much about contracts before they're done. But things are in progress. Matt would love to continue to be a Blue Bomber, and that's our goal.”

He's not a 400,000 dollar QB.

In fact, he proabably wouldn't start on a majority of CFL teams next year.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/12/13/word-is-bombers-qb-nichols-after-big-coin-to-stay

He's not a 400,000 dollar QB.

In fact, he proabably wouldn't start on a majority of CFL teams next year.

He will not find another team to be a starter on, imo.

Bc, cgy, edm, ott, ham have established starters. Sask has durant, still think he stays. Mtl traded a first for vernon adams jr, i know theres been a changing of the guard but id be shocked if they dont give him a chance (ended up 3rd overall). And Tor paid a first overall pick for Willy, he will get a half season to see if he can turn it around.

If nichols wont take 200K plus incentives you look to franklin, tate, durant, burris/harris. All better QB's than Nichols.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

Bc, cgy, edm, ott, ham have established starters. Sask has durant, still think he stays. Mtl traded a first for vernon adams jr, i know theres been a changing of the guard but id be shocked if they dont give him a chance (ended up 3rd overall). And Tor paid a first overall pick for Willy, he will get a half season to see if he can turn it around.

If nichols wont take 200K plus incentives you look to franklin, tate, durant, burris/harris. All better QB's than Nichols.

He'd compete in MTL and Tor (lol) and probably start in Sask if Durant doesn't sign.

I'd love to see Durant in a bomber uni, but I don't think It'll happen.

I like how he fits in Lapo's offense, but wouldn't pay him more than 250,000 guaranteed.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Outside Looking In
Nichols contract should be incentive laden base salary no more than 200k, he knows how good he has it here and he starts with no challengers he does well, club does well he makes close to what he is asking.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca

I agree. I'd play hardball with him. If he doesn't take a fair contract let him walk and see what he's going to get. With those names you mentioned it's not like we'll be hurting if he walks. I'm sure casual fans will be upset though.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/01/03/medlock-bryant-re-up-with-bombers

Huge to have both Medlock and Bryant sign.
just need a starting QB and i'm relatively happy

I think we will be a lot less active in free agency this year. Still lots of big names to be re-signed on our list I think that'll be the focus. The notable exception might be QB as I think Walters sees similiar things to what I see doesn't want to commit to him as a true #1 guy (rather would pay him between below starting level with incentives to bring him up to a starting salary).

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
He was headed for free agency regardless. Quite possible he ends up re-signing with the Bombers in a month, not like there's a huge market for a 37 year old fringe starting QB.

It would be funny if he signed with the Esks, though. :D

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Is Glenn a Hall of Fame QB?

Starts: 191 (I'm assuming top 10 ish)
Completion Percentage: 62.8 (9th best percentage, 9th best single season mark as well)
Yards: 48,782 (6th best all time)
TD's: 270 (9th best all time)
INT: 193 (8th most)
Rating: 90.1

Pretty much every QB around him at those stats are locks. His rights have been held by every team except EDM, and he has played for every franchise except edm and Tor

Last edited:

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Sigh. I hope its VERY incentive heavy. If we dont get better at QB next year we saw the absolute best you can do in CFL with such mediocre play at QB (.500ish and first round loss).
Its low risk we have nobody and it's not garunteed.

I am more curiuos to see who else they bring in.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
Sigh. I hope its VERY incentive heavy. If we dont get better at QB next year we saw the absolute best you can do in CFL with such mediocre play at QB (.500ish and first round loss).

Not from what TSN 1290's said

100K Up Front
200K Base Salary`
80K Interval Roster Pyments (Games 6,12,18)
36K Starting Bonuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->