2016 ALDS - Texas Rangers (1) vs Toronto Blue Jays (WC) - Series Discussion

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The Blue Jays have several major UFAs this winter right? So this may be their chance right here
Bautista and Edwin.

Grilli (club option which will most likely be taken), Cecil, and Saunders are probably the next biggest names. And Saunders was passed with Upton and Carerra down the stretch.

Martin, Tulo, Happ, Bigiani, Osuna, Sanchez, Estrada, Stroman, Travis, Donaldson, Pillar, etc are all still Jays property.

Our complete list of 2017 UFAs are;

Jose Bautista
Edwin Encarnacion
Scott Feldman
R.A. Dickey
Joaquin Benoit
Jason Grilli
Dioner Navarro
Justin Smoak
Brett Cecil
Michael Saunders
Darwin Barney
Gavin Floyd
Josh Thole

You're still looking at something like this without fantasy signings;

2B: Travis
SS: Tulowitzki
C: Martin
3B: Donaldson
CF: Pillar
RF: Upton Jr
LF: Carerra
1B: ??
DH: ??

Bench
Pompey
Goins
backup C
power bat

Estrada
Sanchez
Happ
Stroman
Liriano

XXX
XXX
Tepera
Barnes
Loup
Grilli
Osuna

So regardless, we have two huge holes in the line-up. But it's still a pretty good roster, IMO. It doesn't NEED a lot of work. AA left Shapiro and Atkins with a good roster. I still think that will be one of the best 1-5 pitching rotations in the MLB.

Last edited:

Mad Brills*

if the jays win the world series this year I honestly don't care about next season.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I hope Matt Bush can keep his cool after that loss because he's absolutely phenomenal. Hopefully he continues to turn his life around because he's got a solid career if he wants it. That pitching performance was absolutely insane. And he did everything right - that inning should have been over.

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
14666084_1106770459360555_4484753943885157481_n.jpg

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
What a game it was last night! The first run Texas scored in the 1st seemed to pump up the Jays bats and then they blew it open at the beginning of the game. Texas fought back to take the lead again and then the Jays scored to tie it and send it to extra innings.

Texas made a lot of mistakes in this series and that was great to see. The Rangers always have a tough time against the JAYS!

For the next round I wouldn't mind seeing the Jays play the Red Sox or the Indians. The Red Sox as they are in our division and it would be great to beat a division rivalry and then the Indians because of their former management now with the Jays.

I just hope these extra days off won't slow down the Jays performance.

LET'S GO BLUE JAYS!!

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Bautista and Edwin.

So regardless, we have two huge holes in the line-up. But it's still a pretty good roster, IMO. It doesn't NEED a lot of work. AA left Shapiro and Atkins with a good roster. I still think that will be one of the best 1-5 pitching rotations in the MLB.

Honestly I think at this point Rogers may give Shpirkins the K to give Edwing what he wants. Not only has he had a great run of phenomenal seasons but now in this years playoffs he's played even better. They full well know its going to very hard next year without him and after two straight playoff runs and 1.5 years of sell outs, I think they will finally open up their chequebooks. Now it remains to be seen if they also give Joey Bats what he wants, and yea he was one of the guys who helped build this team up but ultimately I thin they prefer Edwin over him.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Honestly I think at this point Rogers may give Shpirkins the K to give Edwing what he wants. Not only has he had a great run of phenomenal seasons but now in this years playoffs he's played even better. They full well know its going to very hard next year without him and after two straight playoff runs and 1.5 years of sell outs, I think they will finally open up their chequebooks. Now it remains to be seen if they also give Joey Bats what he wants, and yea he was one of the guys who helped build this team up but ultimately I thin they prefer Edwin over him.
I think most of the fans prefer him too at this point.

I know, for myself, that while I am a big fan of Jose and he has created some incredible memories..he's also breaking down faster than Edwin and pretty much should be a DH for now on. I also know he didn't really have a great year this season, and while he does walk a lot, he really struggled when he was healthy.

Edwin..on the other hand..just never seems to cool off.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
In 3 appearances (4th, 7th and 9th), Osuna has thrown 5 IP, allowing just two hits, no runs, not walking anyone and striking out six.

Pretty unreal for someone so young and for someone who was banged up.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
That'd be funny if it wasn't for the 21 seasons prior to last year where the Jays had an early winter.

Hell, even the Leafs saw the playoffs during that stretch of incompetence. :laugh:
True but a lot less teams make the playoffs. If 8 teams made it, how many years do we make it

Yourself

Oct 12, 2010

If the Jays give Bautista anything close to what he wants I will be severly disappointed. At this point the only reason you bring him back is if he takes 20 mill (per) over a couple seasons, not 30 per over 5 that he had wanted in the past. The guy just isn't that special anymore and is way too much of a me first player. In 4 games in the playoffs I clearly remember 2 (and could be 3) points where a single is just as good as a home run and all he is doing is wanting to park one. He doesn't care about winning unless he does it in style (from my point of view). I could be wrong, but that is what I see.

Then again, I dislike him a lot. He seemed like a good guy a couple years ago, but the ego on him after he had the good seasons has made him someone I just can't stand.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If the Jays give Bautista anything close to what he wants I will be severly disappointed. At this point the only reason you bring him back is if he takes 20 mill (per) over a couple seasons, not 30 per over 5 that he had wanted in the past. The guy just isn't that special anymore and is way too much of a me first player. In 4 games in the playoffs I clearly remember 2 (and could be 3) points where a single is just as good as a home run and all he is doing is wanting to park one. He doesn't care about winning unless he does it in style (from my point of view). I could be wrong, but that is what I see.

Then again, I dislike him a lot. He seemed like a good guy a couple years ago, but the ego on him after he had the good seasons has made him someone I just can't stand.

Yeah I'm sure Bautista hates winning if he can't flip the **** out of his bat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad