Prospect Info: 2016 6th Round - 163rd overall - Markus Nurmi (RW, TPS Jr.)

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Born: 1998-06-29
Birthplace: Turku, Finland
Position: Right Wing
Shoots: Right
Height: 6'4''
Weight: 176 lbs

Ranked #185 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #122 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #69 by Future Considerations
Ranked #31 by NHL Central Scouting (EU Skaters)

Nurmi2.jpg

Elite Prospects Profile - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=158967

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Bottom 6 winger who needs to put on strength, but apparently his hockey IQ is real high. Low offensive projection due to a lack of finishing skill, but smart on the ice otherwise.

Project we can leave in Europe for 3ish years to let him develop. Totally fine for a late pick.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Bottom 6 winger who needs to put on strength, but apparently his hockey IQ is real high. Low offensive projection due to a lack of finishing skill, but smart on the ice otherwise.

Project we can leave in Europe for 3ish years to let him develop. Totally fine for a late pick.

Thanks. Still curious about his skating but high hockey IQ is nice. Oddly I seem to be more enthusiastic about the late picks than the selections in the first two rounds.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
What a bean pole. I can't seem to find anything in the way of a scouting report on this guy.

Yay! We've gotta Finn! What more is there to say?! Well-trained team player. maailmanmestari :handclap:

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
About time we started looking to Finland for some talent. Only about 3 years too late unfortunately.

Wanted a higher upside guy here but Nurmi seems like a decent pick.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Not a fan of this pick, seems like to much of a reach. But who knows, haven't seen him play before.

A small scouting report from FC:
Nurmi is a developing power winger who plays a two-way game. He sets his defensive role as a priority, as he often is the first forward back and teams up with his defenders in odd-man situations to win the puck, playing more of a center role in his defensive style. Although he is light in comparison to his height, he uses his size as an advantage in gritty situations along the board, as well as when checking his opponents. His defensive play is very aggressive, as he both tries to check the puck carrier and uses his stick to disrupt the puck. For being a taller, yet underdeveloped, player, he has a rather decent skating speed and excellent overall mobility.
NHL POTENTIAL: Middle-Six Two-Way Winger

xking23

Petersson
Jun 22, 2009
Peterborough
Not a fan of this pick, seems like to much of a reach. But who knows, haven't seen him play before.

A small scouting report from FC:
Nurmi is a developing power winger who plays a two-way game. He sets his defensive role as a priority, as he often is the first forward back and teams up with his defenders in odd-man situations to win the puck, playing more of a center role in his defensive style. Although he is light in comparison to his height, he uses his size as an advantage in gritty situations along the board, as well as when checking his opponents. His defensive play is very aggressive, as he both tries to check the puck carrier and uses his stick to disrupt the puck. For being a taller, yet underdeveloped, player, he has a rather decent skating speed and excellent overall mobility.
NHL POTENTIAL: Middle-Six Two-Way Winger

Based on that if he can turn into a Condra/Kelly style of player for us I'd be super happy, especially if he uses the body a little more than them. Not going to hold my breath, but given a few years maybe he can become a reliable bottom 6 guy with PK skills.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Ranked 185, taken 163. Not very much a reach.
Expected to go in the later 6th to early 7th round. Went early 6th.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I really liked his game in the U18. He fought very hard and won a lot of battles there. He was also one of our main PK guys and if he adds about 50 pounds he is gonna be a beast.

You got a good value pick for a 6th rounder.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I really liked his game in the U18. He fought very hard and won a lot of battles there. He was also one of our main PK guys and if he adds about 50 pounds he is gonna be a beast.

Thanks Keke! Good to hear. Definitely interested in seeing what he can do next year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Good news! thanks for the insights

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

50 poinds is an insane amount of lean mass to put on

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Well he weights 176 pounds at the moment so it wouldn't be a surprise if he tops out as 220 if you consider him being 6'4".

Maybe I overreacted a bit but Nurmi is a great player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad