Prospect Info: 2016 5th Round - 133rd overall - Maxime Lajoie (D, Swift Current Broncos)

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I tend to agree.

Is this just a case where he always had the toolbox, but the tools were late to develop?

His positional play and awareness on the ice are very good. I can't figure out why his junior numbers weren't better of he were always this smart on the ice unless he's just a crazy late bloomer on the skills end of things.

He's always been an excellent skater and whenever I watched him in the WHL (4-5 times) his hands and poise were always pretty darn good. I think people always questioned his offensive instincts but it always seemed to me that the question mark was his inclination to play offensively, rather than his instincts. He always just made the looooww-risk play. Like usually no risk. He did it well but he took no chances. He always struck me as a smart player in junior and last year in the AHL. It could be that Boucher unleashing the D offensively has let Lajoie embrace a different style of play where he gambles a bit more. The fact that it's paying early dividends leads me to some really positive conclusions about Lajoie:
1) He's got pretty darn good offensive instincts and the wheels to realize those offensive ideas.
2) He's coachable. He's changed his style (that he's been playing for at least 4-5 years) within the span of one training camp.
3) He's a quick study.

All these would well for this kid's future.

This is what Curtis Joe had to say about him in 2016. Pretty bang on.
"A competitive two-way defenceman that earns his ice time and strives to be a difference-maker. Excellent skating technique: naturally mobile and able to start and stop on a pin's head. Displays a deceptively accurate shot and is creative on the power play. Proficient playmaker and spots seams in traffic quickly. His habitually conservative style of play in his own end lets him make quick, high percentage decisions with and without the puck. Reacts to different pressure situations with poise and analyzes the situation very quickly to determine the right play to make. All-in-all, a versatile two-way defenceman that keeps his own game in check and plays to the extent of his capabilities. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)"
Maxime Lajoie at eliteprospects.com

Yeah. Seems pretty accurate (maybe a bit bullish). I see him being a 35-40 point guy in his prime. I think absolute ceiling is somewhere between TJ Brodie and Ryan McDonough, based on style. I think he's got a decently high floor too. Like a Chris Tanev type player.

I've seen him get outmuscled around a bit.

But that's just natural given his age, size and status as a rookie.

Chabot seems to handle the physical play a bit better.

Agreed. Being a little physically overwhelmed isn't such a bad thing early in a D's career though. It emphasizes the need for proper angles and builds good stickwork.

I think he'll come to camp stronger next year and continue to get better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad