Prospect Info: 2016 5th Round - 133rd overall - Maxime Lajoie (D, Swift Current Broncos)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Problem is that the major team weakness is the RD...

Ceci-Wideman-DeMelo-Harpur

Jaros and JBD but only Jaros is close to ready

I don't mind trading Ceci, but need to get 2 RD another way and one better than Ceci.

Maybe get Karlsson from San Jose? :sarcasm:
Well depending on what happens with Duchene, NYI need a centre since JT left them & Ottawa could use Noah Dobson RD to play with Chabot for the next decade. It would help both sides but since our team is so young they would have some growing pains. And they still have JB Docker RD coming ...

Chabot - Ceci
Lajoie - Dobson
Wolanin - Jaros/Harpur

But you are right, they have too many young guys right now & no matter what they do they will be too young & inexperienced at a few positions but Dobson on our defence would be interesting.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Well depending on what happens with Duchene, NYI need a centre since JT left them & Ottawa could use Noah Dobson RD to play with Chabot for the next decade. It would help both sides but since our team is so young they would have some growing pains. And they still have JB Docker RD coming ...

Chabot - Ceci
Lajoie - Dobson
Wolanin - Jaros/Harpur

But you are right, they have too many young guys right now & no matter what they do they will be too young & inexperienced at a few positions but Dobson on our defence would be interesting.
Sorry bud, but Isles aren't trading Dobson. Kid looks like a stud.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Chabot - Ceci
Lajoie - Dobson
Wolanin - Jaros/Harpur

Can't see Duchene wanting to extend in Long Island, so I don't think they would be ready to sacrifice assets like Dobson for what could be a rental.

D in 3YRs or so could look something like:

Chabot - Ceci
Lajoie - Jaros
Wolanin - JBD
Tychonick

Doesn't look too shabby. Would look great if we could find a way to add a future top pairing RD through trade or the draft to replace Ceci/Jaros.

The hope is that JBD becomes very good very fast. I don't know but maybe he can be as good as McDonagh. If he does then we are well set, it would allow to have Ceci at a more comfortable spot, the 4th best D-man on the team (assuming that Lajoie is for real of course).

Chabot-JBD
Lajoie-Ceci
Wolanin-Jaros
Tychonick

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Can't see Duchene wanting to extend in Long Island, so I don't think they would be ready to sacrifice assets like Dobson for what could be a rental.

The hope is that JBD becomes very good very fast. I don't know but maybe he can be as good as McDonagh. If he does then we are well set, it would allow to have Ceci at a more comfortable spot, the 4th best D-man on the team (assuming that Lajoie is for real of course).

Chabot-JBD
Lajoie-Ceci
Wolanin-Jaros
Tychonick

You still have Ceci in there. Common man.. put someone else in there. Even Wideman .. put Future Considerations in there lol

Reactions: Alex1234

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You still have Ceci in there. Common man.. put someone else in there. Even Wideman .. put Future Considerations in there lol

Ceci would be fine playing 18-19 mins behind 3 better D-men with more balanced zone starts and not facing top opposition. (Like I said, I'm open to trade him at the right timing to get help somewhere else but RD is already weak as it is). Without Ceci, you'd have DeMelo, Wideman and rookie Jaros on the right. None is better than 3rd pairing at this point.

Since Boucher has been there, Ceci has played as a #1-3 with 23 mins a night and heavy defensive zone starts against really good players. Of course a non-first pairing D-man won't look great in that chair.

Since 2016-17 (whole NHL) :

29th in TOI/GP
14th in EV TOI/GP
11th in SH TOI/Gp

When he should be around 100th... It just doesn't make sense. Not only that, he gets heavy defensive zone starts (close to 60% last season) against the other teams stars and never played with a D-man that was better than him (outside of the rookie Chabot briefly). Of course, he's going to be pinned in his zone and his CF% will go down. Happens to every shutdown D-man who is not elite, even though most are not even being asked as much as Ceci. I tell you, his usage the last 2-3 year is insane.

I really don't understand why people don't see this, it's pretty basic. Ask a plane pilot to fly an helicopter and he might struggle? Except that in this example, the pilot can learn from experience. Ceci cannot become a #1 or 2. It's almost like asking Pageau to become a N.1 Center. Of course, he'd struggle in that role.

Last edited:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Imagine this defense next year.

Lajoie - Karlsson
Chabot - Wideman
Wolanin - Jaros

200.gif

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Imagine this defense next year.

Lajoie - Karlsson
Chabot - Wideman
Wolanin - Jaros

a guy that plays for another team

two AHL grads

and a career bottom pair guy playing top 4 minutes

no, I don't want to imagine that

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ugh. With Lajoie looking so good, and Wolanin looking good last year, it's depressing to realize we could have had a pretty solid group of D this year...

Wolanin-Karlsson
Chabot-Ceci
Lajoie-Wideman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad