Prospect Info: 2016 88th Overall Pick | G Connor Ingram

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Before social media, it was sometimes hard for other organizations to get a real read on certain players and their work ethics and player development issues- especially in tight lipped organizations. But these days, its pretty much an open book on the issues that dog certain players/prospects. Ingram is still young enough that he can modify his approach but right now, I suspect this demotion has definitely hurt his trade value.
You’re right, if they try to move him there is no hiding the reason why. But that is if you have given up trying to get the guy on the right path. My point is that if you are trying to get Ingram to answer the wake up call, it does no good to publicly insult him by essentially calling him lazy. I believe in the old leadership rule: praise in public and criticize in private.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't like the quotes from Ingram. The one about the organization having the control of his career in their hands and not his is him trying to make an excuse if he doesn't make it. Cause it seems like he has the talent to make the NHL but not the drive, especially after reading the two coaches quotes. So if the lightning decide they don't want a kid with a poor work ethic on their team and never give him a chance Ingram will just blame the team for that and not himself for being a lazy professional. And the last quote pretty much says the demotion didn't do anything and he has no plans to change how he does things.

I like Ingram as a talent, I still just think a career backup, but it's not worth keeping the kid in the organization if he's not going to buy in. We don't have anyone close to AHL ready in the system so it would suck to lose a young prospect like him but with Vasilevskiy we aren't looking for an heir apparent anyway. We can run Pasquale and look for CHL overager or a late bloomer from Europe to run backup.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Quote from Orlando coach
“Any young kid, your first couple years, you think you’re working hard in junior hockey and probably are. But working in the American League is that much harder, then the NHL is even more,” Evans said. “You just have to learn how to work hard every day. Obviously, Connor is a huge prospect and his numbers are among the best in the AHL. That’s great, but (the Lightning) want him to become one of the best goalies in the NHL. You’ve got to learn how to work extra hard every day.”

That's a quote from the agent. Orlando doesn't have a coach Evans. Also, you likely never get a peep like this out of Drake. He does slip very occasionally, but those are accidental.

Since you're all very worried about the Bears now, Clint Windsor has come off the IR to fill that spot.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Syracuse Crunch goalie Connor Ingram returned to Orlando for rest of season

Soooooo I'm guessing this relationship is pretty much over.

Whoa. I can tell you that in the post-game interviews for the last game (even before Ouellette's surgery had been announced), Clint Windsor's tone seemed to be that it'd be him and Boes for the rest of the way.

This does put OSB in a spot with 3 goalies. Boes is the 2nd goalie, but he rarely plays and is inconsistent. Windsor plays even less, but his last start was really good.

I've got the Bears at 22/22 roster spots filled, so there's no need (yet) to move someone to IR. Boes may clip a toenail too close and need 2+ weeks off. Once we maybe get to the playoffs (which a scenario exists where we could clinch tonight), the roster rules change a bit where there should be a bit more flexibility in some areas (up to 23 players, but once you get there, you're locked in), but also very restrictive (no IR, reliant on ATOs for emergency additions, sometimes can't take everybody to the playoff roster, etc.)

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah - hes talented, but if the org doesn't think he fits the culture one way or another hes out. We've seen it before with Drouin and DeAngelo.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
he is done here i'd guess
If he was done for sure, I'd hope that they wouldn't tie an anchor to the Solar Bears like that. They could stash him in the AHL and not play him.

Even solely as an asset, it's probably better to just shut him down then let him risk getting substandard ECHL stats b/c of an attitude. (which I'm not saying it is. I don't know.)

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It's very important that we note who is doing the framing here. It's syracuse.com.

Tampa Bay general manager Julien BriseBois made a special side trip to Syracuse on Friday to meet with troubled Crunch goalie Connor Ingram.
The meeting was short and apparently did not go well, because by the time it was over Ingram was headed back to Orlando of the ECHL. BriseBois said on Saturday that he expects Ingram will spend the rest of the season there.
That’s the latest twist in what appears to be a dramatic fall from grace for a second-year prospect who at one point looked like one of the best young players at his position in the AHL.

Are there sources that things didn't go well, because I can very easily see Drake in a few hours on the Bears pre-game saying things are fine.

BriseBois said he intended to go to St. Louis on Friday but instead swung through Syracuse to try to clear the air with Ingram. Without going into further details, BriseBois said it became apparent by the end of that meeting that it would be better off for everyone if Ingram returned to the Solar Bears for the rest of the season.
Not a direct quote.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
It's a weird situation and it's hard to judge whether it's being handled in the best way or not. I trust the organization when it comes to these behind the scene decisions. Back in September we didn't immediately know what happened with Dotchin either but as we learned more information I think we all concluded that it was for the best that he left. I can only assume that if the Lightning organization is this concerned with whatever is going on with Ingram that it's for a reason. And I also believe that Ingram was/is being given a fair chance to make things right.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
It’s a bit weird because with guys like Drouin and Deangelo we knew from the second they were drafted that there were some problems there. With Ingram everything I’ve ever heard about his work ethic has been positive.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
If the personality narrative is correct, then I'm sort of impressed by JBB's tenacity in keeping Ingram in Orlando. Not giving him a pass because Ouellette is done for the season (I think this can be assumed). On the other hand, I'm perturbed by Orlando being the 'beneficiary' in this, especially when OSB finally gets a halfway decent team.

It’s a bit weird because with guys like Drouin and Deangelo we knew from the second they were drafted that there were some problems there. With Ingram everything I’ve ever heard about his work ethic has been positive.

What Groulx was getting at in (I believe) The Athletic article is that you sometimes have to raise your work rate in the pro game.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
It looks like he is gone. But on the other hand, there is no reason to sell low except maybe to free up a contract slot. They own his rights for a long time. The message they gave Drouin was you’re not getting traded until you get back here, work hard, and up your value on the trade market, which he did because he had no other option. I would expect the same treatment for Ingram, but from his comments and the failed meeting with JBB, I’m not sure this kid will get the message.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It looks like he is gone. But on the other hand, there is no reason to sell low except maybe to free up a contract slot. They own his rights for a long time. The message they gave Drouin was you’re not getting traded until you get back here, work hard, and up your value on the trade market, which he did because he had no other option. I would expect the same treatment for Ingram, but from his comments and the failed meeting with JBB, I’m not sure this kid will get the message.
This is why I'm okay with just not playing him if it's true. The ECHL is not punishment, except when it is. Orlando can't both take him and not play him. The league has a roster limit. Meanwhile, you can have as many as you like in the AHL.

Ingram also isn't making less money in the ECHL than he is in the AHL, and you want him to feel like the low man on the totem pole, not exalted at a lower level because what needs to change then? Everyone thinks they're already great and the opportunity will come around again.

The Bears have maybe the best facilities in the league, (although Amway has outdated leasing amenities) at least comparable to some of the best in the AHL, so it's not like he's getting a shock going to some dilapidated rink every day.

Last edited:

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
This is why I'm okay with just not playing him if it's true. The ECHL is not punishment, except when it is. Orlando can't both take him and not play him. The league has a roster limit. Meanwhile, you can have as many as you like in the AHL.

Ingram also isn't making less money in the ECHL than he is in the AHL, and you want him to feel like the low man on the totem pole, not exalted at a lower level because what needs to change then? Everyone thinks they're already great and the opportunity will come around again.

The Bears have maybe the best facilities in the league, (although Amway has outdated leasing amenities) at least comparable to some of the best in the AHL, so it's not like he's getting a shock going to some dilapidated rink every day.
I get where you’re coming from. If whatever is going on with Ingram causes some locker room cancer and negatively affects the rest of the team, then yes, it is unfair to Orlando and TBL should do the right thing and move him out. But we haven’t heard that. We have only heard, or surmised, that it is a work ethic issue. If that is the case you’re getting a talented goalie who just needs to fix his work habits. You’re not wrong for being concerned though, since we really don’t know what the hell is going on. Maybe he just has an irreconcilable clash with Grouix and he’ll manage better with your coach. Who knows.

Reactions: Felonious Python

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The "better for everyone" line makes me think the friction between Ingram and his coaches just isn't worth working on at this point. Or something like that. Maybe friction between him and his teammates. But yeah, this means he's gone, I think.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
“Any young kid, your first couple years, you think you’re working hard in junior hockey and probably are. But working in the American League is that much harder, then the NHL is even more,” Evans said. “You just have to learn how to work hard every day. Obviously, Connor is a huge prospect and his numbers are among the best in the AHL. That’s great, but (the Lightning) want him to become one of the best goalies in the NHL. You’ve got to learn how to work extra hard every day.”

This is a quote from the guy's agent. The one who advocates for him in contract negotiations saying this. He has a financial incentive to spin this, and he really doesn't seem to be.

Reactions: Blueston

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Man this really really sucks about Ingram. Sounds like no one is gonna budge on this. I appreciate you guys who spend your time digging for the real scoop like this.

I hope the year plays out and come training camp we let it be known we'd like him back with the Crunch and everyone says que sera sera and Ingram fixes whatever work habits and everyone wins.

But maybe I'm wrong and he's traded on draft day

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Man this really really sucks about Ingram. Sounds like no one is gonna budge on this. I appreciate you guys who spend your time digging for the real scoop like this.

I hope the year plays out and come training camp we let it be known we'd like him back with the Crunch and everyone says que sera sera and Ingram fixes whatever work habits and everyone wins.

But maybe I'm wrong and he's traded on draft day
Ingram would have needed to have upped his work rate before camp, keep in mind.

The reality is right now with the Ouellette injury is that there isn't a clear #1 for Orlando, and Syracuse seems pretty comfortable with Pasquale. Orlando has good facilities, weather (for the time being), and he's not making any less in the ECHL than the AHL. If you do get a goalie who wants to play, then it's not a bad spot to be in. He's also not in anyone's dog house down here.

The list of NHL goalies at all ability levels who spent quite signficant time in the ECHL shows it's not a career dead end either.

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
That is a weird quote from the agent unless it's actually something even worse and he's trying to spin it as just a be a pro thing.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->