McGinn-Tierney-Rieder
Martinook-Dvorak-Doan
Crouse-Dauphin-White

OEL-Murphy
Goligoski-DeAngelo
Chychrun-Schenn
Connauton

Smith/Domingue

I wish, The entire league had their chance last year for Drouin and blew it. He's cost controlled on a tight Cap team. Wont be moved now... Also don't think i've ever seen him play center

Goldobin is the payer in San Jose I'd personally like to get my hands on. NHL ready with top 6 offence and creativity which this team lacks bad.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Given how Tippett took a hard pass on small skilled centers like T.Johnson and Turris, I'm sure it's wing or bust for Keller under Tippett. At least to start.

Thought the same thing until i watched him at BU... kid is unreal. I rank him ahead of Strome for teams best prospect, plays PK and PP too. If he can get around 50% on faceoffs. I bet he'll be a center.
Maybe a year at wing to ease him into NHL (depending also how old he is when he makes the team and who all is playing center at said time)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Thought the same thing until i watched him at BU... kid is unreal. I rank him ahead of Strome for teams best prospect, plays PK and PP too. If he can get around 50% on faceoffs. I bet he'll be a center.
Maybe a year at wing to ease him into NHL (depending also how old he is when he makes the team and who all is playing center at said time)

He looked good at the rookie camp, but so did Strome and Perlini their first year. If hbk likes him, he must be good.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
He looked good at the rookie camp, but so did Strome and Perlini their first year. If hbk likes him, he must be good.

He is. Keller and Chych were the player i wanted at 7 (Keller first then Chych, in fact i believe me and HBK had some talks on here around draft time), so Draft day was a happy day for me. He has it all other than size, which players with his ability can get away with. He's so fast, smart and creative. Think Nylander esque but better defence and probably more speed.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He is. Keller and Chych were the player i wanted at 7 (Keller first then Chych, in fact i believe me and HBK had some talks on here around draft time), so Draft day was a happy day for me. He has it all other than size, which players with his ability can get away with. He's so fast, smart and creative. Think Nylander esque but better defence and probably more speed.

I was definitely enamoured by Logan Browns potential and put off by Kellers size but couldn't deny his skill set to put him in the mix at 7. If anything I was being a pessimist by ranking at 8 on my list. He had a pass at the U18's that was a thing of beauty.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I wanted Brown, too. But Keller is definitely high-skill. One of the many moves I didn't particularly like, but were easily defensible.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I was on record before the draft as having Keller ranked third, so I'm admittedly higher on him than most, but the sheen hasn't worn off. His skill set is the model teams are looking for in today's NHL.

I've gone back and forth on where he projects to line up, but I think he's more likely to be a center. He's got the wheels to get up and down the ice quickly, he's defensively responsible, and his elite vision and creativity are best deployed from the middle (though I could see him lining up on the half boards on the powerplay, a la Giroux). With big wingers like Fischer, Crouse and Perlini in the system, we can afford to have a smallish player down the middle, and with Strome and Dvorak also projecting as scoring line centers, Keller is the only guy you'll likely need to protect in that way anyway.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I was on record before the draft as having Keller ranked third, so I'm admittedly higher on him than most, but the sheen hasn't worn off. His skill set is the model teams are looking for in today's NHL.

I've gone back and forth on where he projects to line up, but I think he's more likely to be a center. He's got the wheels to get up and down the ice quickly, he's defensively responsible, and his elite vision and creativity are best deployed from the middle (though I could see him lining up on the half boards on the powerplay, a la Giroux). With big wingers like Fischer, Crouse and Perlini in the system, we can afford to have a smallish player down the middle, and with Strome and Dvorak also projecting as scoring line centers, Keller is the only guy you'll likely need to protect in that way anyway.

I think AZ had Keller at or around where you had him ranked as well. Definitely in their top 5.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I think AZ had Keller at or around where you had him ranked as well. Definitely in their top 5.

I'm pretty sure they had Puljujarvi ahead of him. Probably either Dubois or Tkachuk, but maybe not both. I'm confident they would have taken him over Juolevi, though.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm pretty sure they had Puljujarvi ahead of him. Probably either Dubois or Tkachuk, but maybe not both. I'm confident they would have taken him over Juolevi, though.

I sacrificed a Coyotes hat for Puljujarvi.

I think we had Keller ahead of both Tkachuk and Juolevi. Possibly Dubois.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
And Kyle Wood is a PPG as a rookie D in the AHL. And Murphy is signed to a long-term, team-friendly deal. Doesn't look good for Stone.

I'm going to hope that the growth of Deangelo and Wood is bad news for Schenn's future as a Coyote, not Stone's.

Wood is still a project. Despite Stone's injuries, he's still going to be a better NHL defenceman than Wood for the next threeish years. I think Stone should be extended as long as we can get him at market value or better. I don't really care how long the term is because he can always be traded for good futures when he becomes redundant in AZ.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm going to hope that the growth of Deangelo and Wood is bad news for Schenn's future as a Coyote, not Stone's.

Wood is still a project. Despite Stone's injuries, he's still going to be a better NHL defenceman than Wood for the next threeish years. I think Stone should be extended as long as we can get him at market value or better. I don't really care how long the term is because he can always be traded for good futures when he becomes redundant in AZ.

This. We need a D to play with OEL. Murphy has no business there, and it is allowing other teams to focus on OEL more than they should.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America

I just pray his creativity doesnt get stifled when he makes it the team.

I really think once our young players "take over " I think it is a time for a coaching / system overhaul

Sometimes a complete change is good. Actually now would be a perfect time since we are in last place and have no where to go but up.

I remember Maloney talking about the " country club." I think that comment should extend to more than just the players.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
This. We need a D to play with OEL. Murphy has no business there, and it is allowing other teams to focus on OEL more than they should.

So are you suggesting we trade Murphy who just signed a large inexpensive contract to help us get that top pairing RHD and then HOPE we can resign Stone to a contract under 5 mil so he can play on the bottom pair?

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I just pray his creativity doesnt get stifled when he makes it the team.

I really think once our young players "take over " I think it is a time for a coaching / system overhaul

Sometimes a complete change is good. Actually now would be a perfect time since we are in last place and have no where to go but up.

I remember Maloney talking about the " country club." I think that comment should extend to more than just the players.

Obviously I still disagree with this point of view. DT is building an excellent foundation.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
HNIC panel (Friedman) confirms we had negotiations with Shattenkirk this summer. Couldn't finalize a contract. Edmonton also showed interest, but he had no interest in going there.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Sort of surprised by that, honestly. Means we had advanced stage trade negotiations if we were allowed to talk to him. Makes me curious what a deal looked like.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon

Gaudet is back.

Also, can someone explain twitter numbering convention to me? Is there a logic to it? This tweet is numbered 802612897272561665. 802,612,897,272,561,665. 802 quadrillion? 802 billion million? That's 114 million tweets per person on earth.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sort of surprised by that, honestly. Means we had advanced stage trade negotiations if we were allowed to talk to him. Makes me curious what a deal looked like.

Since we're all cozy with St Louis, they seem like a team that could really, really use Martin Hanzal. We seem like a team that could really, really use Ivan Barbashev. Problem is, they seem like that kind of team too. How do we sweeten the pot enough to make this happen? Is there any way?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Wow, that is pretty high, but that is coming from someone who has never seen him play, just what I have read. If we had him above Tkachuk, who is looking pretty good, then I see why you guys are so high on him.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm curious how this all fits together. Was the intention to acquire all 3 of Shattenkirk, Goligoski, and DeAngelo? 2 of the 3? Was DeAngelo a "Plan B" to Shattenkirk?

If we can still add Shattenkirk...

OEL - Shattenkirk
Goligoski - DeAngelo
Chychrun - Murphy

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So are you suggesting we trade Murphy who just signed a large inexpensive contract to help us get that top pairing RHD and then HOPE we can resign Stone to a contract under 5 mil so he can play on the bottom pair?

No, but if we can sign Stone, I would have no problem trading Murphy. I'm not nearly as high on Murphy as most on this board are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad