Speculation: 2016-2017 Season Roster Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think you answered your own question. The Avs need to add to their D core. At the same time, he missed a big chunk of time this year with a broken leg so he's still re-adjusting. If we didn't like Stone's bounce back from injury, I doubt we'll take to Johnson's.

Another name I'll throw out there is Mike Green. He's 31 but RD, plus the Wings have expansion protection issues. He has 1 year left on his deal. We could extend him or potentially use him on a short-term basis until we could roll Wood, DeAngelo, Murphy down the right side.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I think you answered your own question. The Avs need to add to their D core. At the same time, he missed a big chunk of time this year with a broken leg so he's still re-adjusting. If we didn't like Stone's bounce back from injury, I doubt we'll take to Johnson's.

Another name I'll throw out there is Mike Green. He's 31 but RD, plus the Wings have expansion protection issues. He has 1 year left on his deal. We could extend him or potentially use him on a short-term basis until we could roll Wood, DeAngelo, Murphy down the right side.
I have to believe if Duchene and Landeskog are available Johnson is as well. That said I knew he was injured but didn't realize he had broken his leg.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Just read that Luke Schenn ranked 5th in the NHL in hits. We clearly need him next year because only Wood, of the projected defensemen, have that attribute. We will be too soft without him.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Hits are the anti-possession. You only hit when your team doesn't have the puck. We never have the puck because we are the 2nd worst team of 30.

Ironically, this was a huge talking point Tippett used to bring up in press conferences, back when we were actually a playoff team.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Hits are the anti-possession. You only hit when your team doesn't have the puck. We never have the puck because we are the 2nd worst team of 30.

Not this year, but traditionally, LA is one of the best possession teams yet they're still the team with the most hits over the last years. But then again. Possession numbers are a joke as they're based on shots.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

They are also a function of general competitiveness, something this franchise hasn't seen for years.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If we get this ownership mess sorted out, I wonder if they make a big splash in free agency? Like when the current group came on board and signed Ribeiro.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If we get this ownership mess sorted out, I wonder if they make a big splash in free agency? Like when the current group came on board and signed Ribeiro.

I don't think any Coyotes ownership group outside of some fictional ride-to-the-rescue angel investor will have the real money to make a splash in free agency. We have a butt-ton of cap space opening up but very little actual wherewithal to pay salaries.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
What teams are remaining that have LTIR contracts that will need cap space? Will Chayka be able to keep the LTIR streak live?

Edit:
Per Capfriendly:

Det: Franson ($3.95M x 3)
Ana: Despres ($3.7M x4)
Tor: Horton ($5.3M x3, NMC), Lupul ($5.25M x 1, NTC)

All listed as "indefinitely." Seems as NMCs and NTCs don't matter when on LTIR. Bolland has a M-NTC and Pronger and Datsyuk have NMCs. Maybe cash in on a prospect and/or draft pick(s)?

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Take Horton off the list as its actual money, he isn't covered by insurance. No way the rich Leafs are giving up anything to get rid of cash.
What teams are remaining that have LTIR contracts that will need cap space? Will Chayka be able to keep the LTIR streak live?

Edit:
Per Capfriendly:

All listed as "indefinitely." Seems as NMCs and NTCs don't matter when on LTIR. Bolland has a M-NTC and Pronger and Datsyuk have NMCs. Maybe cash in on a prospect and/or draft pick(s)?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Just read that Luke Schenn ranked 5th in the NHL in hits. We clearly need him next year because only Wood, of the projected defensemen, have that attribute. We will be too soft without him.
Wood, while big, is very much a finesse player. 14 PIM's this year with Tucson and I have on good authority that he's had only 1 fight in his life (during junior).

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

It's nice to want things.

The other party has to want you back.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Edit:
Per Capfriendly:

Islanders and Grabovski.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I thought the knock on Wood is he is soft for his size.

You can't have the puck all the time.

They are also a function of general competitiveness, something this franchise hasn't seen for years.

You need talent. You can try to be competitive, but talent will give you possession.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
What are the odds that Doan and Chayka agree on another 1 year deal? I know most of us want him to retire a Coyote before he gets any slower and softer. I'm just not sure if Doan is hungry for more.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
What are the odds that Doan and Chayka agree on another 1 year deal? I know most of us want him to retire a Coyote before he gets any slower and softer. I'm just not sure if Doan is hungry for more.

After last season's negotiations (and Doan feeling somewhat insulted at times IIRC), I highly doubt Doan would want to discuss an extension/new contract.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
thought the knock on Wood is he is soft for his size.
Wood is not a physical player.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
After last season's negotiations (and Doan feeling somewhat insulted at times IIRC), I highly doubt Doan would want to discuss an extension/new contract.

Would be nice if he could just announce that he's retiring now, so they can plan some sort of celebration of his career before the last game.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Non-Yotes fan with an odd question. I've got a deep keeper league and I'm looking at having to choose between McGinn, Holland. Does either player have a future (like 2-3 more seasons) in Arizona or the NHL?

McGinn does unless Chayka trips over some miracle that allows him to get the guy off our books. Nearly positive that Holland won't.

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
I was always under the impression that his motor and speed were his top attributes. His ability to bring the puck out of the zone, ala OEL, rather than making a great tape to tape pass is his coveted transition skill. I see glimpses of this, but my lord does he make bad first passes. I think his speed is why he works so well with offense first defensemen like Klingberg or DeAngelo. As long as he can get the puck moving out of the zone, he can zip it to an offensive defenseman to make the breakout pass, or allow them to take the puck into the offensive zone. Gologoski playing with Murphy, Stone (who I think is a better comparable, albeit slower and with a bigger shot) and Schenn just don't blend well with his play style.
Apologies for the rudely late reply, but yeah that makes sense. I hardly watched Goligoski before the signing so wouldn't be surprised if my impression was totally off. From seeing him this year, he does seem a jack of all trades type defenceman. I just thought that first pass would be far better, like you say.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Non-Yotes fan with an odd question. I've got a deep keeper league and I'm looking at having to choose between McGinn, Holland. Does either player have a future (like 2-3 more seasons) in Arizona or the NHL?

I you don't have any other options go with McGinn. Of course I can't imagine he'd contribute much in even the most deep keeper league. You would probably be better off drafting someone (if that's an option) or adding some sort of rookie coming up next season. Strome (may be up more if we don't add any improved centers), Keller (although he may be limited in the NHL), Fischer, or Crouse will probably be more beneficial to the team next season than McGinn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad