Speculation: 2016-2017 Season Roster Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
This team has never had a proper rebuild since moving here, and if we did, most would understand how a rebuild works. We are finally rebuilding the right way, so the fans really have no choice but to stomach it. I really do not see why there is so much negativity with this team and the rebuild. I think we are building a very deep team with talent on all lines. We may not have a super star in the bunch, but hopefully have many star players.
I agree. I don't think you have to have a superstar to win, you just need a good all around team. The way we have done in the draft the last few years is how to build that team. But we may have to trade some of our prospects to find that 1C if we can't find one to draft and possibly the same for a RHD as well. Last year was awesome and we came away with two very good prospects.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Hanzal is not a 1C. He's barely a 2C on a competent team. He's a big checking center who doesn't score a lot of points and doesn't play a full season due to injuries. He's going to want money and term and this team's pocketbook strings are too tight to give him that.

He's far from perfect, he'll get overpaid BUT he doesn't cost anything to acquire. Any trade scenario for a top C just doesn't fit. We have an excess of 3rd line LWs. We can't trade those for an upgrade at C. Visit the trade board and see what the Avs and Rangers expect to get for Duchene/Stepan. It's not worth it. My stance is that a trade will be a net negative in the long term and a free agent would be a net positive.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
wouldn't you want Keller with some pure shooter/goal scorers ?

I see a lot of Keller with Domi, just wondering if that would be the best option as Domi is more of a playmaker as well?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
wouldn't you want Keller with some pure shooter/goal scorers ?

I see a lot of Keller with Domi, just wondering if that would be the best option as Domi is more of a playmaker as well?

Keller is a goal scorer and a playmaker...as he and Domi can maintain possession in the O-zone, they would be a terror to play against I think.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Keller and Fischer are buds already and I think their games would complement each other perfectly.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Or 80 games of Bozak/Stepan and no games of Holland/Jooris*

*btw Jooris has been pretty decent as of late on the PK and is showing that motor rt raved about before we aquired him.

Bozak is a tweener 2/3C but can put up some numbers with the right wingers and would most likely be fairly cheap to acquire. With 3 lines of scoring depth we could still cause lineup hell, although no one line would be able to dominate.

Stepan honestly seems like a better all around version of Bozak. Doesn't have one quality that is superb, but seems to be able to complement with a whole range of wingers. He would help one line standout much more in the lineup, but would come with a much higher price tag than Bozak (if he is even available).

I would be good with Stepan, but not Bozak, maybe not Boyle either. These are all kind of stop gaps. If we don't have to pay too much, it is fine. Duchene is a true 1C, and that is what we should shoot for. Otherwise, lets not over pay for a stop gap. We have a shot at filling the 1C/2C roles with Strome/DVO/keller, over time.

I am way more interested in acquiring a 1RHD. I would pay more for that. We don't have anyone in the pipeline that can become a 1RHD. if we can land one, our D is set for years.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wonder if Chayka throws a pick at the Capitals to get the rights to Shattenkirk. Give us first crack before NYR. Same thing he did with Goligoski.

We may have cap floor issues so doing 7 million per for Shattenkirk could do the trick.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The talk of Shattenkirk and expected salary just amazes me, his own team always plays him in protected minutes and less than 20 minutes per night and people are lining up to give him $7 million per year???He's a 2nd pairing guy at best.
I wonder if Chayka throws a pick at the Capitals to get the rights to Shattenkirk. Give us first crack before NYR. Same thing he did with Goligoski.

We may have cap floor issues so doing 7 million per for Shattenkirk could do the trick.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Shattenkirk has already decided where he will play next year and it wont be AZ. This team won't be able to attract anybody with options, even if the money is alright, given the situation. Going to need to rely on last chancers and dumps until things clear up.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm not so sure. Yandle to Boston was a shoo-in around these parts. The Panthers had other ideas.

Also remember we were apparently close on Shattenkirk previously as per Friedman. What's not known is if he balked at our extension or if STL didn't like the return in the trade.

The talk of Shattenkirk and expected salary just amazes me, his own team always plays him in protected minutes and less than 20 minutes per night and people are lining up to give him $7 million per year???He's a 2nd pairing guy at best.

Function of the market. So few RDs become available. Shattenkirk is far better than any other options available via UFA this summer. He already turned down 6 mil per from Tampa.

If we got him...

OEL - Shattenkirk
Goligoski - DeAngelo
Chychrun - Murphy

Slot in Schenn for DeAngelo for necessary opponents.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Not a lot of defence in that lineup, we'd better score lots.
I'm not so sure. Yandle to Boston was a shoo-in around these parts. The Panthers had other ideas.

Also remember we were apparently close on Shattenkirk previously as per Friedman. What's not known is if he balked at our extension or if STL didn't like the return in the trade.

Function of the market. So few RDs become available. Shattenkirk is far better than any other options available via UFA this summer. He already turned down 6 mil per from Tampa.

If we got him...

OEL - Shattenkirk
Goligoski - DeAngelo
Chychrun - Murphy

Slot in Schenn for DeAngelo for necessary opponents.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's definitely a more offensive-oriented group, to be sure, but I'd argue that's as much our issue as defending. We can't get the puck out of our own zone.

Here's Chayka's quote last June re: his philosophy on defense and what he seems to be building toward (with the acquisitions of Goligoski, DeAngelo, etc):

"Defense isn't about defending, it's about getting the puck in the forwards' hands and getting the puck moving in the offensive zone. It's about transitioning. That's the philosophy and that's been the theme behind the moves that we're making, let's get players who can get pucks back and get pucks up to forwards in an efficient and effective manner."

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1065427-coyotes-gm-chayka-defense-isn-t-about-defending

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I would generally agree but Shattenkirk, DeAngelo, and Chychrun are offence first imo and with little regard for the defensive side. I see OEL as the benchmark as an offensive guy who can move the puck while being reasonably responsible defensively.Shattenkirk and DeAngelo don't fit that bill but Chychrun might.
It's definitely a more offensive-oriented group, to be sure, but I'd argue that's as much our issue as defending. We can't get the puck out of our own zone.

Here's Chayka's quote last June re: his philosophy on defense and what he seems to be building toward (with the acquisitions of Goligoski, DeAngelo, etc):

"Defense isn't about defending, it's about getting the puck in the forwards' hands and getting the puck moving in the offensive zone. It's about transitioning. That's the philosophy and that's been the theme behind the moves that we're making, let's get players who can get pucks back and get pucks up to forwards in an efficient and effective manner."

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1065427-coyotes-gm-chayka-defense-isn-t-about-defending

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Friedman notes that it's close as well. Clarifies that Keller won't burn the first year of his ELC as there are less than 10 games left on the schedule.

St. Louis is also Keller's hometown.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Also, Vatanen could be a great target before the X draft.

Vatanen is an interesting target who is having an off year as he jumped up from sheltered minutes to facing top pairing competition with Fowler. Similar skillet set to D'Angelo but more polished defensively. Signed through 2020.

Ducks would likely ask for a young forward in return for Vatanen plus the MIN 1st.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Considering Colorado sounds open to moving just about anyone, what are the thoughts on making a move for Eric Johnson? He's big and skates really well, is a good defender with ok offense and is a right handed shot. He's signed for the next 6 years and while the $6 million is a bit high I'd much rather pay that for him than the same or more for Shattenkirk. I think Johnson would be a great partner for OEL and isn't the name he used to be so I'm thinking he might not be that expensive to acquire. Granted I know Colorado needs to build on their defense not get rid of it but consider their level of dumpster fire, they should be open to pretty much anything at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad