Prospect Info: 2016-2017 Prospect Stats and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Robbie Holmes broke a 2-2 tie early in the second period to give Regina a 3-2 victory over Seattle and take a 2-1 series lead. The teams had traded 2 goals apiece in the first period, with Connor Hobbs and Chase Harrison getting the other Pats goals and Alexander True and Sami Mollanen getting the Thunderbirds goals. Tyler Brown was busy, stopping 35 of 37 shots for Regina while Carl Stankowski turned aside 25 of 28 shots, including a penalty shot by Sam Steel.

Ethan Bear had an assist on the True goal and was even on the +/-.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
WHL Championship game tonight:

Regina at Seattle - Game 3 @ 8 PM (Regina leads series 2-1)
Watch on Shaw SD Channel 10, HD Channel 304, Blue Sky Channel604, Shaw Direct HD Channels 120 and 620 or listen at 620 CKRM Regina

QMJHL Championship game tonight:

Saint John at Blainville-Boisbriand - Game 4 @ 5:30 PM (Saint John leads series 3-0)
Watch on Sportsnet 360

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Ryan Gropp and Sami Moilanen scored 19 seconds apart in the second to overcome Sam Steel's game opening goal and Seattle rolled over Regina 6-1 to tie the series at 2-2. Nolan Volcan, Jarrett Tyszka, Alexander True and Keegan Kolesar got the other Thunderbird goals. Carl Stankowski had a good night, stopping 18 of 19 shots. Pats' Tyler Brown was pulled after giving up all 6 goals on 24 shots with Jordan Hollett mopping up in the third with 12 saves.

Ethan Bear had 2 assists, was +1 and took a hooking penalty.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
WHL Championship game tonight:

Regina at Seattle - Game 5 @ 8:30 PM (series tied 2-2)
Watch on Shaw SD Channel 10, HD Channel 304, Blue Sky Channel 604, Shaw Direct HD Channels 120 and 620 or listen at 620 CKRM Regina

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Erie prevails in OT 4-3 over Mississauga to take the OHL Final 4-1 and advance to the Memorial Cup.

2-2 Regina and Seattle after one. Bear with an assist on the tying goal.

Last edited:

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Mathew Barzal's second goal of the night on the PP put Seattle up for good as the Thunderbirds beat Regina 7-4. His goal came 57 seconds after Keegan Kolesar had tied it at 3 with Austin Wagner pushing Donovan Neuls into the goal post while he was skating to Kolesar to celebrate the goal. Neuls, Nolan Volcan and Turner Ottenbreit, with an empty netter, got Sesttle's other goals. Josh Mahura and Jeff de Wit, who had given Regina an early 2-0 lead, Dawson Leedahl and Austin Wagner scored for the Pats. Carl Stankowski made 33 saves on 37 shots while Tyler Brown saved 32 of 38 shots. PPs were 3/5 for Seattle and 1/3 for Regina.

Ethan Bear had 2 PP assists and was +2.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Mathew Barzal's second goal of the night on the PP put Seattle up for good as the Thunderbirds beat Regina 7-4. His goal came 57 seconds after Keegan Kolesar had tied it at 3 with Austin Wagner pushing Donovan Neuls into the goal post while he was skating to Kolesar to celebrate the goal. Neuls, Nolan Volcan and Turner Ottenbreit, with an empty netter, got Sesttle's other goals. Josh Mahura and Jeff de Wit, who had given Regina an early 2-0 lead, Dawson Leedahl and Austin Wagner scored for the Pats. Carl Stankowski made 33 saves on 37 shots while Tyler Brown saved 32 of 38 shots. PPs were 3/5 for Seattle and 1/3 for Regina.

Ethan Bear had 2 PP assists and was +2.

Yay. I want Bear to play in the Mem Cup.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yay. I want Bear to play in the Mem Cup.

Me too. I see a lot of potential for him to end up as a Matt Dumba type.

He's much more polished and far less chaotic than Dumba was at the same age. Not the same open ice checker Dumba is.

Bear has 24 points in 16 playoff games. Comparing to the last few seasons of 'Bear comparables ie not Seth Jones in his rookie season or Martin 'What is defence' Gernat:

2015-2016: Bear 22 in 18
2014-2015: Bowey 19 in 19
Sanheim 18 in 17
Morrissey 14 in 13
2013-2014: Pouliot 32 in 21
Dumba 18 in 21
Severson 18 in 14
2012-2013: Pouliot 20 in 21

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'm more interested in his defence. I'm old school and appreciate defensive defenceman.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Aapeli Rasanen scored his fist goal of the playoffs in a 5-1 loss in game two of the finals (1G 2A in 10GP).

He had a rough end of the regular season too, wonder if it's an injury or just a long season catching up to him.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'm more interested in his defence. I'm old school and appreciate defensive defenceman.

Can't have a team full of Larssons. Most cup winners have a D core with offensive D able to chip in points. I'd even take a MAB career from him

But I do get this feeling hell be Tyson barrie type player. His offense is too good to ignore now

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Can't have a team full of Larssons. Most cup winners have a D core with offensive D able to chip in points. I'd even take a MAB career from him

But I do get this feeling hell be Tyson barrie type player. His offense is too good to ignore now

IMO he lacks the dynamic skating ability to be a Barrie clone. That said he probably has a better onetimer and shot. Bear need to improve his skating and strength, if he can then he could be a very solid pro for us.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Bear is very commonly mistaken as a purely offensive defenceman. I think that's unfair to him. His defence is very very solid and maybe the most under appreciated part of his game is his transition game, he consistently makes strong passes out of his zone, he has very good IQ at both ends of the ice.

I've said it many times before but he needs to work on strength and skating. He doesn't shy away from physicality, but far to often he losses those battles. As many others point out his skating is only average, and his lateral mobility needs a ton of work.

Very promising prospect though and his offensive game is already pro quality IMO.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

I'd love six Larssons.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Bear is very commonly mistaken as a purely offensive defenceman. I think that's unfair to him. His defence is very very solid and maybe the most under appreciated part of his game is his transition game, he consistently makes strong passes out of his zone, he has very good IQ at both ends of the ice.

I've said it many times before but he needs to work on strength and skating. He doesn't shy away from physicality, but far to often he losses those battles. As many others point out his skating is only average, and his lateral mobility needs a ton of work.

Very promising prospect though and his offensive game is already pro quality IMO.

All the more reason to have him in the AHL next year. He's got a head for the game but weak points such as skating and strength are correctable and can be worked on. The sooner we get him in the system working with our coaches and conditioning teams the quicker these issues can be ironed out. You can improve mechanics such as skating it's hard to teach the kind of IQ Bear has and all the little things that he seems to do so naturally.

I've maintained that situation will play a big part in Bear's development and he could be walking into a situation taylor made for the type of player he is. Some work on his skating, some pro conditioning, stepping into a familiar role and cultivating some chemistry/confidence and we could really see him explode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad