2016-17 WHL Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver
I believe I saw that PG and Kamloops play each other 4 more times until the end of the season and also close off the regular season with a home and home last 2 games... those 4 games will decide it

Kamloops looks damn good right now since Ingram came back from WJC... id be terrified to play them.

Ingram is on a different level right now

For the Blazers, I think as much as they would like the Banner - also just as important to miss Victoria in the playoffs. They have only gone 2-3-0-1 against them this season and haven't looked themselves. Just a bad match-up.

Whereas, the Blazers have had the Rockets number. And, the verdict is still out with PG with those 4 games left.

Hoping Victoria ends up in the US Division on the cross-over.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I understand your pain PG... Cougar fans have been more than patient.

I didn't anticipate this weekend to be as crucial as it will likely be. PG has the easiest schedule of the four BC division playoff teams down the stretch. Kamloops and Kelowna and then Kamloops travels down to Everett... This weekend. PG gets a light Oil Kings who are likely exhausted at the end of a trip. If the Blazers manage to keep pace with PG, I suspect the BC banner goes to Kamloops. Still time for PG to wake up and want it...

But after watching the Blazers recently... Just so much confidence there.

Fun to watch (but I'm a Blazers fan enjoying the run).

PG has the easier schedule, but the way they are playing no points are guaranteed. I would easily take Kamloops, hell even Kelowna to win the division over PG right now. I have zero confidence.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
PG has the easier schedule, but the way they are playing no points are guaranteed. I would easily take Kamloops, hell even Kelowna to win the division over PG right now. I have zero confidence.

My brain says they should get 4 points versus Edmonton this weekend... considering Kamloops and Kelowna beat Edmonton with a combined score of 17-1.

My gut says they will lose 1. Just despicable for a team that should be dominating this league. So much talent, so much waste of said talent.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
My brain says they should get 4 points versus Edmonton this weekend... considering Kamloops and Kelowna beat Edmonton with a combined score of 17-1.

My gut says they will lose 1. Just despicable for a team that should be dominating this league. So much talent, so much waste of said talent.

They absolutely need to win these games this weekend. They play Kamloops a handful of times to end the year which will basically be like a mini-playoff series. They need to head into those games feeling good about themselves.

If they don't win both these games, and at least one isn't a blowout, I'll be thoroughly disappointed.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Matvichuk said "all good teams go through rough patches and I am fine with it". Richie they don't go through it with 10 games left in the season losing 8 of your last 10. Yikes this is the mentality of the staff?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Matvichuk said "all good teams go through rough patches and I am fine with it". Richie they don't go through it with 10 games left in the season losing 8 of your last 10. Yikes this is the mentality of the staff?

What do you want him to say? We suck? He needs to instill confidence in this club, not rag on them like he already has the past few days (as he stated in tonight's postgame) and the players had a meeting along the past few days by themselves.

Nicolas Drazenovic was talking about a players only meeting when he went on a run with the Cats awhile back and they ended up taking out the best CHL team after being down 2-0 in the series. I think he has a lot to do with things now and I am very happy he has been hired.

PG looked like them regular selves tonight, and although it is just the Oil Kings, all it takes is some confidence in each other again. The real tests will be all the game vs Kamloops, who really took it on the chin tonight BTW.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Leppard and Maser are going to be very good replacements down the road for the Cougars. Man I love those two kids. Basically the Bash brothers.

Big four points this weekend though and with Kamloops/Kelowna losing ground the division is looking good right now.

Still some big games left.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Cougars back to being crap. Can't say that wasn't expected. This weekend will decide what PG is made of.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Cougars back to being crap. Can't say that wasn't expected. This weekend will decide what PG is made of.

They completely and utterly dominated the 1st period. Couldn't score, then Kelowna scores one that Edmonds should of had and they fold like a cheap chair.

Reaks of a team that lacks confidence. Not a fun thing headed into playoffs. They need a game that they get all the breaks, this weekend? Probably not.

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.
They completely and utterly dominated the 1st period. Couldn't score, then Kelowna scores one that Edmonds should of had and they fold like a cheap chair.

Reaks of a team that lacks confidence. Not a fun thing headed into playoffs. They need a game that they get all the breaks, this weekend? Probably not.

We had two of those games against Edmonton. We hit the point in the season where we don't care, and it's going to lead to a first round exit, probably in 5 games.q

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna

PG just needs to figure out how a powerplay works and other things will follow when they can play with the lead and have some confidence. 20th in the league with that set of players is frankly terrible. Barely any good looks against Kelowna.

Wednesday night was old time Cougars hockey, plenty of bad penalties. Not to mention a team that looked completely demoralized for half the game.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I haven't liked Matvichuk's decisions on the PP all year long. He takes away two big shots by himself, so the PK habit pretty easy.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
'Canes hot, hot, HOT!

This was tweeted Feb 28:
WHL's best records since Jan 10 trade deadline: 1. Lethbridge (17-2-1-1, .857); 2. Seattle (19-4-0-1, .812); 3. Regina (17-6-1-0, .729)

Have one a few since then, including a convincing win in Regina.
They have a scary offence that is clicking since the big deadline moves. Skinner has also been better as of late. All good signs heading into what should be a crazy exciting Eastern Conference playoffs with arguably the three top teams in league (Pats, Tigers, 'Canes).

canuck89

May 17, 2014
Prince George
I think the race for the division will be close. With the Cougars sweeping away the Blazers this weekend, it's basically down to PG and the Rockets.

The Blazers can max out at 92 points. The Royals can max out at 93 points. Cougars are sitting at 89 points right now. Another couple wins by PG (and/or losses by them), and their division magic numbers will drop to zero.

However, the Rockets are only 4 points behind PG, with a game in hand. However, most of Kelowna's remaining games comes against Victoria and Vancouver (with one against Everett). Given the way Kelowna's been playing lately (they're 8-1-1 in their past 10), I wouldn't expect a big pile of losses there. Fortunately, the Cougars control their destiny. Just win.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Gonna be a crazy playoffs in the West... On any given night one of Kamloops Kelowna PG Seattle Everett can all beat each other... Heck even Victoria and Portland can beat many teams... Gonna be some upsets in the 1st round this year

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Gonna be a crazy playoffs in the West... On any given night one of Kamloops Kelowna PG Seattle Everett can all beat each other... Heck even Victoria and Portland can beat many teams... Gonna be some upsets in the 1st round this year

Yeah there's really no easy choice this year. I can see any team coming out of the West. Crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->