GWT: 2016-17 UEFA Europa League knock out stage

oilers92

Jan 26, 2010
Edmonton
I know that this won't happen as long as Zlatan is on the pitch, but Pogba should definitely take over FK duties. He's sooo much better at it.

i honestly cant recall a zlatan free kick that's gone above chest height this year, they really should have a word with him about it

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I thought St. Etienne were pretty good. Looked positive going forward in attack but lacked clinical finishing. I felt the fouls that went against them were pretty soft as well.

I know that this won't happen as long as Zlatan is on the pitch, but Pogba should definitely take over FK duties. He's sooo much better at it.

Pogba hasn't scored from free kicks with United yet, although he's been close. Mata and Rooney have.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So, all in all, St Etienne got robbed by a ref playing the "big team a home card".
What else is new?

SchwenningerWildWing

Aug 23, 2006
Germany
Missed the second half but BMG really deserved to score multiple goals in the first half. Hopefully Raffael is back soon, because their efficiency up front just drops like a stone when he's out unless Stindl is on fire...which he wasn't today...

But the defense looked good, Fiorentina's only goal coming from a set piece, and the Kramer-Dahoud partnership is looking a lot smoother than it to start the season.

Indeed, was at the game, first half was one of the best games BMG played this season. Was disappointed by Fiorentina more or less all game, they hardly had a chance to score all game, the lone goal though was a beauty. But Gladbach should/must have scored 2 or 3 goals in the first half alone. Second half was a good defensive showing by Fiorentina as you can expect from an Italian team having a lead. Will be a hard one for my team next week at Fiorentina, but this is far from over. There is still a chance for BMG

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Pogba hasn't scored from free kicks with United yet, although he's been close. Mata and Rooney have.

So has Zlatan. He's also had a couple of those low driven kicks come close too.

So, all in all, St Etienne got robbed by a ref playing the "big team a home card".
What else is new?

I don't think robbed is fair. I don't put much in the penalty claim because I thought it was a foul to win possession right before it. They also could have had a penalty against for a handball in the box that wasn't called.

The reffing favored United a bit overall, but it wasn't like a long series of huge calls going in their favor.

They lost, or didn't stay close, because they didn't finish the chances they had. Could have easily put multiple goals in based on chances.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
So has Zlatan. He's also had a couple of those low driven kicks come close too.

I don't think robbed is fair. I don't put much in the penalty claim because I thought it was a foul to win possession right before it. They also could have had a penalty against for a handball in the box that wasn't called.

The reffing favored United a bit overall, but it wasn't like a long series of huge calls going in their favor.

They lost, or didn't stay close, because they didn't finish the chances they had. Could have easily put multiple goals in based on chances.

As could have United. Martial and Mata had chances in the first half and before the second goal, I saw a stat on the screen of 15-12 scoring chances for each team. It could have been 5-2 instead of 3-0.

oilers92

Jan 26, 2010
Edmonton
What else is new?

when you have 0 shots on target out of 14 attempts you lost b/c your shooting was horrendous but i agree the first goal isn't a free kick and the penalty i'm not even sure there is contact.

On a side note united now have 3x as many penalties in European competitions as to the EPL, refs definitely more willing to call it from the continent.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, the point is that United scored 3, when 2 of them were badly reffed and resulted in phantom goals.
Should have been 1-0. Doesn't change the outcome much since United will be through regardless (St Etienne's attack just sucks), but still doesn't make it right.

When two goals out of three are phantom, yes you can say robbed.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Indeed, was at the game, first half was one of the best games BMG played this season. Was disappointed by Fiorentina more or less all game, they hardly had a chance to score all game, the lone goal though was a beauty. But Gladbach should/must have scored 2 or 3 goals in the first half alone. Second half was a good defensive showing by Fiorentina as you can expect from an Italian team having a lead. Will be a hard one for my team next week at Fiorentina, but this is far from over. There is still a chance for BMG

Agreed. The goal was a real howitzer, but this is still very much doable for BMG if they play the way they did in that first half.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Why are there CL and EL matches on the same day? And a single La Liga fixture? I thought they tried to avoid conflicts like that.

Mkhi off now too.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Why are there CL and EL matches on the same day? And a single La Liga fixture? I thought they tried to avoid conflicts like that.

UEFA don't want to Istanbul clubs to play at home on the same day so they had to move one of Fener/Besiktas back. St. Etienne playing home today because Lyon playing tomorrow. Not sure why Schalke-PAOK are playing today though

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Huge night for Belgian teams with a possible trio to qualify for the next round

Genk and Anderlecht should take care of business, Gent face a tough task at Wembley but you never know

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Unless Bilbao score twice in the final 15 minutes (APOEL are down to 10 men now)...there likely will not be a Spanish side left in the competition

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->