Proposal: 2016-17 Trade Rumours and Proposals - Post Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Signing Andrew Hammond to a three year extension was a bad idea. Hopefully they buy him out this summer.

Its actually cheaper to just keep him in the minors another year then buy him out.. 350K Cap hit this year if we buy him out ($500K next). or just 1 year of $400K in the minors

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Signing Andrew Hammond to a three year extension was a bad idea. Hopefully they buy him out this summer.

If he is bought out, there is a cap hit for the next couple years. $350,000 this season and $500,000 next.

Just assign him to the AHL and when he refuses, void his contract or agree to a mutual contract termination.

There will be a bunch of spots open this off season, he can try to get a shot somewhere else.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Its actually cheaper to just keep him in the minors another year then buy him out.. 350K Cap hit this year if we buy him out ($500K next). or just 1 year of $400K in the minors

he's using up a roster spot for a goalie prospect.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

It's not cheaper in real money salary, but is a bit cheaper cap wise. He is on a 1 way contract so he still gets paid. We get 950k cap relief from his 1.35M cap hit if he is in the minors which means 400k of cap is on the books compared to a supposed buyout cap hit of 350k this year and 500k next year (according to Capfriendly).

His real money salary for the upcoming season is 1.5M, so a buyout saves the team 500k in real money over the lifetime of the contract and would be paid out as 500k this year, and 500k next season. A benefit of buying him out if they don't think he can compete for the backup job is that there will be a logjam of goalies in our system next year between Driedger, O'Connor, and Hogberg. Unless Driedger or O'Connor are going to graduate to the NHL, having Hammond in the system will make it tough to give everybody playing time even with someone assigned to the ECHL.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Us not lose anybody we really don't want to lose would be contingent on the Senators feeling it is time to move on from someone. All I am saying is that if you look at our long term cap outlook, at least one person has to go. If Chabot comes in and is great right off the bat, Methot makes the most sense to move. I really think Turris' upcoming contract negotiations are a very interesting story that isn't getting enough discussion considering the level of player he is. 6.5x6y would take Turris to 35. I'm not rooting for Turris to be traded or anything, but if the Sens don't lose a big contract and Turris isn't open to a home town discount, to me it wouldn't be as big of a surprise as it might seem.

It was an alright idea at the time. Not re-signing Hammond would have been a PR disaster. For a very short period of time he was on of the most popular players on the team, and that run the Sens had was one of the most positive things to happen to the team at that point in a long time.

Not to mention, he wasn't even bad in the playoffs when he got pulled. He just wasn't great, and the smart thing to do was to put in Anderson who had previously been absolutely clutch in the playoffs.

It was a very unique contract situation especially since Hammond was a UFA. It looks bad now that Hammond is pretty much washed out of the league and still has one year left at backup money, but at the time it was the right move.

Re-signing him was a good idea, giving him 3 years was not. It's a bad idea to give someone a three year contract based on 25 good games. The good news is that it's a low cap hit.

They are paying Hammond and Burrows a combined 4 million next year. We could have used that money elsewhere.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Re-signing him was a good idea, giving him 3 years was not. It's a bad idea to give someone a three year contract based on 25 good games. The good news is that it's a low cap hit.

They are paying Hammond and Burrows a combined 4 million next year. We could have used that money elsewhere.

Could have thrown it all on black and it would have been just as useful.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

It was an absurd maybe once in a generation type situation to have to try and negotiate a contract with Andrew Hammond. How do you come up with a fair contract for both sides when you're dealing with a UFA who had no NHL experience prior to helping carry a previously mediocre team into the playoffs on the back of a 24 game streak where he technically never lost a game in regulation (played injured in the Rangers loss) and posted one of the best save percentages in the entire league? It was absurd.

I agree that giving him 3 years was a bad idea, but we don't know what the negotiations were like and what realistic consolations the Senators had to make. I am guessing going three years at veteran backup money despite Hammond not being a veteran backup was probably something the Senators had to do because anything less and it'd make no sense for Hammond not to test the market. He was going to at least get a 1 year 1 way deal from somebody looking for a free wallet.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If he is bought out, there is a cap hit for the next couple years. $350,000 this season and $500,000 next.

Just assign him to the AHL and when he refuses, void his contract or agree to a mutual contract termination.

There will be a bunch of spots open this off season, he can try to get a shot somewhere else.

I'm gonna guess that they are going to try & move Hammond at the draft, maybe even to LV for a late rd pick(6th or 7th) & have him play in the minors for their AHL team & be their 3rd goalie with some NHL experience & injury replacement.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I'm gonna guess that they are going to try & move Hammond at the draft, maybe even to LV for a late rd pick(6th or 7th) & have him play in the minors for their AHL team & be their 3rd goalie with some NHL experience & injury replacement.

I doubt anyone wants Hammond to be honest.

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006

He wouldn't refuse, and would take a roster spot from prospects.

He wouldn't get another 1 way contract elsewhere and would likely end up in the A anyways, he'll take the $x million guaranteed

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
I think we need to take a hard run at Tavares

This, enough with the improvement from within BS.

We need a #1 C and another top 4 to improve on what we have right now.

Andy is not getting any younger and we will probably lose a defenseman to LV.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

Not if we package Ceci or Methot for Tavares ;)

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Ever heard of Thomas Chabot? Personally I think he's a 40pt guy next year. Year after that he will really start to make a statement.

But yeah Tavares would look so good in a "0" uniform. You need that elite #1 D/C combination to make it back to where we just were. If you look at the East all the contenders/up and comers have that stud #1 C. And then you have to expect everyone is going to take a run at him. Turris/Ceci/1st/Logan Brown gets it done.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Said it elsewhere - shake up the Conference

Ceci, Brown, Brassard, 2017 1st (maybe 2018 as well) for a signed Tavares (6 x 8.5M)

Sign either Benn or Marchand (6.5M), 5 yr term

Sign Hedman (8M) (or Kulikov at 6M) with term

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Said it elsewhere - shake up the Conference

Ceci, Brown, Brassard, 2017 1st (maybe 2018 as well) for a signed Tavares (6 x 8.5M)

Sign either Benn or Marchand (6.5M), 5 yr term

Sign Hedman (8M) (or Kulikov at 6M) with term

I don't understand this proposal, Benn, Marchand and Hedman all just started their 8 year extensions

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Tavares is almost certainly re-signing in NY. Yeah, it'd be great if we could get him but it is 99.9 percent not a realistic possibility. Star players almost never leave when a big contract is on the table. The Islanders are rumoured to be offering him 10Mx8Y, they also are sorting out their arena situation.

Best suggestion I've heard so far for the Senators getting a "big" 1C that actually sounds plausible would be Jeff Carter. He has a Brassard style contract where he has a much lower salary than cap hit going forward. He is still good, but his contract takes him to 36 and the Kings missed the playoffs again which might give them incentive to make a big move.

What big 1Cs would realistically available? Keep in mind, if you're talking about getting a big 1C it might require moving on from Turris because of where this team is in relation to both salary and cap.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Cant lose Methot or this team takes a huge step back. With the amount of youth on the back end this team has coming, the only option is to move Ceci for assets prior to the expansion draft. Losing a player that good/valuable for free in the case of Ceci or Methot is horrid asset managment. Really hope Dorion doesnt blow this one.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Cant lose Methot or this team takes a huge step back. With the amount of youth on the back end this team has coming, the only option is to move Ceci for assets prior to the expansion draft. Losing a player that good/valuable for free in the case of Ceci or Methot is horrid asset managment. Really hope Dorion doesnt blow this one.

The Senators could very well make a side deal with Vegas.

We're going to have to expose at least two forwards that I am guessing management wouldn't want to lose one of. The forwards I could see management absolutely not wanting to lose would be Turris, Brass, Hoffman, Stone, Pageau, Smith, Ryan, Burrows, and MacArthur. That's 9 forwards and we can only protect 7. So even if we trade Ceci, we're set to lose a forward we wouldn't want to lose.

The solution might be something like CGY's 2nd+Andrew Hammond to Vegas in exchange for a late pick and them agreeing to choose Dzingel or Wideman. Both are roster players, but they are roster players we can walk away from. They take Hammond who they don't want as a consolation to us, throw him in Chicago AHL or something.

(I'm talking from management's perspective, not ours. It would make no sense that Dorion would want to expose Burrows after giving up what he gave up for him, extending him, and putting over how important of a piece he will be for the room next year when the team is expected to lose some of their veterans such as Neil or Kelly. There's a good chance Mac won't be chosen because of his concussions, I'd be shocked if he is chosen, but any time you expose a guy it's a risk I guess.)

Keep in mind, Methot is a very tradeable player. So if we give up something reasonable to protect him, there's a good chance that in the 2019 off season or 2019-20 trade deadline, if Methot is expendable due to Chabot breaking out, we could get something back for him.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Ceci should be moved for sure, should have happened last season with Drouin. Even if we're able to get some futures I'd be happy, but he should be apart of a big package floating around the league front offices right now.

Sign Alzner, throw all our eggs in that basket. If we're going for it, go out and get an actual top 4 D suited for the role Ceci has. Make it happen, prove we're committed to winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad