Proposal: 2016-17 Trade Rumours and Proposals - Post Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
When you have Stone and Turris coming off the books at 3.5 each, you're going to need to pony up at least an extra 5 million a year to resign them. Both money and cap becomes a hurdle at that point.

I think it's important to note that Stone and Turris are actually being paid $4.5M and $4M respectively next year. It might not seem like much, but that means the raise they receive isn't as high much as you might think. I think they are both gonna get $6M or so. So it will take only ~$3.5M in actual dollars to get them resigned.

The space is there, but there isn't going to be a lot of money for the bottom 6. Sens are gonna have to do some bargain hunting and hoping for ELCs to fill out those depth lines...I dunno...

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
The Sens are in pretty good shape based upon how the playoffs have gone.

Methot might be the guy who is hardest to replace and made available but Claesson's play suggests we have a ready replacement for him. And Claesson should be even better a year from now when he's had a year of regular top 4 play. If Claesson struggles, there's Harpur & Chabot to steal his spot.

Losing Wideman is not a big concern. There are lots of bottom pairing dmen in the organization - Borowiecki, Claesson, Harpur, Chabot, maybe Englund. Losing Claesson would be the same thing although he's the most ready to fill in on a top 4 situation when injuries happen.

Losing Dzingel isn't that big of a deal. He could take the next step in his development and become a quality NHL top 2 line winger. But the Sens are now loaded up front on the wing with Stone, Hoffman, Ryan, MacArthur, Smith, and Burrows. It would also free up a roster spot to re-sign Stalberg.

Really the Sens could looking at trading quantity for quality and ship out guys like Wideman & Dzingel for an upgrade somewhere.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I don't think I'm ready to anoint Claesson as Methot's replacement just yet. He plays limited minutes against lesser competition. Who knows how he would fare playing Methot like minutes.

He's perfectly suited where he is atm.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Would you trade Ceci, White and our first round pick in this year's draft for Matt Duchene?

I think its very possible the Avs accept that too.

This has been re-hashed a bunch of times, but given that:
-the Avalanche have a glaring hole on the left side of their D behind Zadorov
-they have Barrie and Johnson that would play ahead of Ceci on RD
-they've got Mackinnon and Jost as their top 2 C's of the future.

That package does absolutely nothing for them.

Sure Duchene's value might have tanked given his play in the last ~30 games of the season but he's under contract for the next 2 seasons and selling low now would be incredibly dumb. I can't see him or the Avalanche being that bad next season, so his value should rebound. I also don't see why Sakic wouldn't hold out for a young(ish) top 4 LD in any Duchene deal, because short of getting lucky in the draft that may be their only opportunity to address this.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Would you trade Ceci, White and our first round pick in this year's draft for Matt Duchene?

I want a better player for that package.

Sign both Marleau and Thorton to 3 million dollar contracts. go for the cup.

If they couldn't get it done with SJ when that franchise was a powerhouse for a decade, why would you want them here? At their ages, they aren't carrying anyone to a Cup.....they need a Cup-caliber team to carry them.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
i wouldnt trade that package for Duchene only because we need to invest high end money on better players. Duchene is great but no contender is winning with him making 6+ mil. especially if we got Ryan too.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016

I wouldn't add White to the deal, nor do I think they need him since they're pretty deep at centre. I'd snap trade Ceci, this year's first and a few good prospects like England, and Jaros though. I can't wait til Ceci is no longer in a Sense uniform.

Sign both Marleau and Thorton to 3 million dollar contracts. go for the cup.

Do you know what a team like Montreal would pay to have Thornton for a year? That guy had an awful season last year and there are still tonnes of teams who would drop at like 6 or 6 and half on him for a year.

As for Marleau, from what I understand he's not too keen on moving away from Cali. He's been there since like '97 and would probably retire before up-ending his family to place in Ottawa for a year. He's got more than enough money.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I want a better player for that package.

If they couldn't get it done with SJ when that franchise was a powerhouse for a decade, why would you want them here? At their ages, they aren't carrying anyone to a Cup.....they need a Cup-caliber team to carry them.
They are veteran depth. They wouldn't be relied to carry anything thus taking pressure off and allow they to be amazing.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I wouldn't add White to the deal, nor do I think they need him since they're pretty deep at centre. I'd snap trade Ceci, this year's first and a few good prospects like England, and Jaros though. I can't wait til Ceci is no longer in a Sense uniform.

Do you know what a team like Montreal would pay to have Thornton for a year? That guy had an awful season last year and there are still tonnes of teams who would drop at like 6 or 6 and half on him for a year.

As for Marleau, from what I understand he's not too keen on moving away from Cali. He's been there since like '97 and would probably retire before up-ending his family to place in Ottawa for a year. He's got more than enough money.
Exactly. More than enough money means trying to win a cup would probably be a priority. If they were to consider either Montreal or Ottawa I think Ottawa's roster is more appealing.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If we lose Dzingel or Wideman and not a big money contract via expansion, we're gonna be pretty close to the cap already if it sticks at 73.

We're at 67M salary or 66M cap for 20 players on Capfriendly for next season. Add Pageau at 2.5 salary, Stalberg at 1.5, and then one more body at 750k and we're at about 71M cap for a full roster or roughly 72M in salary. Those are estimated salaries....so obviously they could vary up or down but I don't think they are far off enough to alter the point that we're going to be too close to the cap to add a big free agent (in the rainbows and lollipops world where one wants to come here...we might be in that world since we're a game away from the Stanley Cup Final) and will also be above last year's supposed 68M budget.

It's impossible to comment on whether or not we'll be a "budget" team after Melnyk has thus far gotten roughly 18M in playoff gates (9 games x 3) and counting. But purely from a cap perspective, we probably can't go around and sign a Joe Thornton type player unless we get rid of someone or Vegas takes a Ryan or a Methot from us in expansion. 3M seems a little ambitious for Thornton.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If we lose Dzingel or Wideman and not a big money contract via expansion, we're gonna be pretty close to the cap already if it sticks at 73.

We're at 67M salary or 66M cap for 20 players on Capfriendly for next season. Add Pageau at 2.5 salary, Stalberg at 1.5, and then one more body at 750k and we're at about 71M cap for a full roster or roughly 72M in salary. Those are estimated salaries....so obviously they could vary up or down but I don't think they are far off enough to alter the point that we're going to be too close to the cap to add a big free agent (in the rainbows and lollipops world where one wants to come here...we might be in that world since we're a game away from the Stanley Cup Final) and will also be above last year's supposed 68M budget.

It's impossible to comment on whether or not we'll be a "budget" team after Melnyk has thus far gotten roughly 18M in playoff gates (9 games x 3) and counting. But purely from a cap perspective, we probably can't go around and sign a Joe Thornton type player unless we get rid of someone or Vegas takes a Ryan or a Methot from us in expansion. 3M seems a little ambitious for Thornton.
The team will likely stay pretty much how it looks ,for at least the next two seasons .We will grow the team as we have always done.
Replacing older more expensive players with some more homegrown ones.I suspect the first to go will be Methot followed by guys like Brassard,Mac. etc etc.Maybe we can swing a trade to change up the roster,but i totally agree a huge FA singing is pretty unlikely

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
The team will likely stay pretty much how it looks ,for at least the next two seasons .We will grow the team as we have always done.
Replacing older more expensive players with some more homegrown ones.I suspect the first to go will be Methot followed by guys like Brassard,Mac. etc etc.Maybe we can swing a trade to change up the roster,but i totally agree a huge FA singing is pretty unlikely

You're right about the building from within. Because Turris, Stone, Ceci, and Karlsson are coming up for raises, we're likely going to need to shed one big contract prior to the 18-19 season, which is what I would expect the motivation might be for a big trade.

Realistically I'd expect one of Methot, Hoffman, Ryan, Turris, or Ceci to get traded in the next two seasons. If Vegas select Methot or Ryan, that would do it as well.

I've brought it up in this thread before, but Turris is the most interesting situation to me. He will be 29 when his extension kicks in, and market value dictates he could ask for 6.5M or more if he wanted to on a contract that would take him to his mid 30s. He seems like a guy who similar to Smith might take a team friendly deal, but you never know.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You're right about the building from within. Because Turris, Stone, Ceci, and Karlsson are coming up for raises, we're likely going to need to shed one big contract prior to the 18-19 season, which is what I would expect the motivation might be for a big trade.

Realistically I'd expect one of Methot, Hoffman, Ryan, Turris, or Ceci to get traded in the next two seasons. If Vegas select Methot or Ryan, that would do it as well.

I've brought it up in this thread before, but Turris is the most interesting situation to me. He will be 29 when his extension kicks in, and market value dictates he could ask for 6.5M or more if he wanted to on a contract that would take him to his mid 30s. He seems like a guy who similar to Smith might take a team friendly deal, but you never know.
I have Stone and Turris roughly in around the same dollar at 6 to 6.5,they both are at 3.5 now so we should be able with other contracts falling away be able to resign them.The way management has the contracts layered,i cant see us losing anybody we really dont want to .We just need some gems to show up in the next wave of kids we have coming to offset the loss of the vets they will be replacing .Going to be fun regardless

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Signing Andrew Hammond to a three year extension was a bad idea. Hopefully they buy him out this summer.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I have Stone and Turris roughly in around the same dollar at 6 to 6.5,they both are at 3.5 now so we should be able with other contracts falling away be able to resign them.The way management has the contracts layered,i cant see us losing anybody we really dont want to .We just need some gems to show up in the next wave of kids we have coming to offset the loss of the vets they will be replacing .Going to be fun regardless

Us not lose anybody we really don't want to lose would be contingent on the Senators feeling it is time to move on from someone. All I am saying is that if you look at our long term cap outlook, at least one person has to go. If Chabot comes in and is great right off the bat, Methot makes the most sense to move. I really think Turris' upcoming contract negotiations are a very interesting story that isn't getting enough discussion considering the level of player he is. 6.5x6y would take Turris to 35. I'm not rooting for Turris to be traded or anything, but if the Sens don't lose a big contract and Turris isn't open to a home town discount, to me it wouldn't be as big of a surprise as it might seem.

Signing Andrew Hammond to a three year extension was a bad idea. Hopefully they buy him out this summer.

It was an alright idea at the time. Not re-signing Hammond would have been a PR disaster. For a very short period of time he was on of the most popular players on the team, and that run the Sens had was one of the most positive things to happen to the team at that point in a long time.

Not to mention, he wasn't even bad in the playoffs when he got pulled. He just wasn't great, and the smart thing to do was to put in Anderson who had previously been absolutely clutch in the playoffs.

It was a very unique contract situation especially since Hammond was a UFA. It looks bad now that Hammond is pretty much washed out of the league and still has one year left at backup money, but at the time it was the right move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->