GDT: 2016-17 NHL Playoffs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Let's go Bruins!

Also: Go Preds, Blues, meh*, meh**, Rangers, Leafs and Blue Jackets.

(*I guess Ducks, **I guess Oilers, but I couldn't be closer to not giving a **** in those two series)

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Personally, I want Edmonton to get swept, just because.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I hope the Preds beat the Hawks. This town would go nuts. Plus, I really want a Preds vs Bruins final. That way, if the Bruins don't win, at least my home town would and I could actually see a parade.

Unfortunately, that also means Subban and Neal would be Stanley Cup winners.

But I still want them to at least beat the Hawks.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I hope the Preds beat the Hawks. This town would go nuts. Plus, I really want a Preds vs Bruins final. That way, if the Bruins don't win, at least my home town would and I could actually see a parade.

Unfortunately, that also means Subban and Neal would be Stanley Cup winners.

But I still want them to at least beat the Hawks.

I'm sure that sounds great right now, but not sure you want to watch their parade after the Bruins go up 3-0 in the Stanley Cup Final, Neal injures three key players at the end of game 3 and the Preds end up winning four in a row, including game 7 in quintuple OT. :laugh:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I'm sure that sounds great right now, but not sure you want to watch their parade after the Bruins go up 3-0 in the Stanley Cup Final, Neal injures three key players at the end of game 3 and the Preds end up winning four in a row, including game 7 in quintuple OT. :laugh:

Stop ruining my dream! :laugh:

Can you imagine if we get something like a Nashville/Columbus final? Wouldn't the networks love that...

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Hopefully Oilers will be knocked down fast so that Chiarelli 2nd will be as early as possible.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
The regular season thread is closed so posting a couple nice stories from the final day of play. Links on both are from Sporsnet.

Bryan Bickle announced he would retire due to his MS condition. In his final game yesterday he scored the game winner with an absolute snipe in the shoot out. He was extremely emotional in his interview following the game. Nothing can compensate for dealing with an illness of this kind but I'm sure he has fond memories of being a 3 time Stanley Cup champion. Best of luck Bryan.:handclap:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/bickell-tears-thanking-hurricanes-teammates-final-game/

Henrick Zetterburg had a perfect ending to his final day at Joe Louis Arena. He was honoured for playing in his 1000 game, all as a red wing. He then scored in the game as the wings recorded a win in the final game at the Joe. Nice story to end what has been a dreadful season especially given their unbelievable success in that building over the year. Tip of the hat to Zetterburg. :handclap:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/red-wings-beat-devils-last-game-joe-louis-arena/

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The juxtaposition of the two teams in the Oilers/Sharks series is going to make that series amazing. The team full of inexperienced kids that are on fire and probably feel on top of the world right now vs. the currently down-and-out team full of grizzled vets that (despite a lot of playoff failure) have an absurd amount of playoff experience.

McDavid had a ton of success vs. the Sharks this season, but if anyone can find a way to slow him down, it'll be Vlasic.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Montreal in 7
Pittsburgh in 6
Washington in 5

Chicago in 6
St. Louis in 7
San Jose in 6
Anaheim in 5

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Eastern Conference

What I want to see:

NYR over Montreal

Toronto over Washington

CBJ over Pittsburgh

Boston over Ottawa

What I think we will see:

NYR over Montreal

Washington over Toronto

Pittsburgh over CBJ

Boston over Ottawa

Western Conference

What I want to see:

Nashville over Chicago

St. Louis over Minnesota

Edmonton over SJ

Calgary over Anaheim

What I think we will see:

Chicago over Nashville

Minnesota over St. Louis

Edmonton over SJ

Anaheim over Calgary

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Round One picks:

Canadiens
Senators
Capitals
Penguins

Blackhawks
Blues
Oilers
Ducks

Having said that, I despise the Blackhawks and Penguins and hope they get crushed, but I don't see it.

I'd like to see the Oilers or Flames make a run.

Last edited:

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Round One picks:

Canadiens
Senators
Capitals
Penguins

Blackhawks
Blues
Oilers
Ducks

Having said that, I despise the Blackhawks and Penguins and hop they get crushed, but I don't see it.

I'd like to see the Oilers or Flames make a run.

:help:

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
In the East hope Montreal,Ottawa,Leafs and Pens loose. , West. Hawks,StLouis,Edmonton,Calgary hope loose. Never know I am from Canada .

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Not sure where to put this but looks as good as anyplace else,

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kings-fire-gm-dean-lombardi-head-coach-darryl-sutter/

L.A. fires everyone, Rob Blake new GM.

How the mighty have fallen.

I was actually thinking about the teams that have made the finals in the post lockout NHL.

Obviously the Hawks have cashed in on their opportunities.

King got their two Cups in their window.
Pens got two albeit spread out.

B's got the one and the other finals appearance.

Parity

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

**** the Habs.
**** the Penguins.
Go Bruins!! No animosity toward the Sens. I like them.
The Caps and Leaves should beat each other into a twelve overtime game seven.

**** James Neal.
I dig both the Blues and the Wild. **** the refs.
**** Chiarelli and the Oilers. (Except Lucic - still love Looch)
And I'll go ahead and cheer for Calgary. At least they have been rebuilding while TRYING to win. I respect that.

Last edited:

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Eichel is probably salty due to Draisaitl costing him $2 million, and also having to watch the other young studs, Matthews and co. and McDavid and co. in the playoffs.

Every year there seems to be at least one first round shocker. I don't know if any of my picks are shockers, but here goes:

Washington over Toronto in 6. Goaltending and defense favor Washington.

Montreal over NYR in 6. Under Julien, and with all the tough guys he brought in, Kreider won't be running Price in this series.

Columbus over Pittsburgh in 7. This will be my upset. Torts hates the Pens, and the Letang injury is a factor.

Boston over Ottawa in 7. The hockey gods dislike the trap. ;) Part of this is wishful thinking, but I think the big pressure on the Bruins this year was making the playoffs. That's achieved, so I think Rask will be in the zone and the players will finally solve Boucher's dreaded trap.

Chicago over Nashville in 6. If the stars align, this could be an upset; but Rinne has been inconsistent. Anisimov is scheduled to return, and as good as Boston's top line was at times, Kane-Anisimov-Panarin is the best line in hockey.

Anaheim over Calgary in 6. I want to pick Calgary, due to the Ducks' recent playoff flops; but their record in Anaheim is concerning. This one will get nasty.

St. Louis over Minnesota in 7. Is this the year Boudreau turns things around and limps in the regular season, but turns it on in the playoffs instead? With Dubnyk out of gas, not likely.

Edmonton over San Jose in 6. In 2012, both the Bruins and Canucks flamed out in the first round despite high seedings. Carryover from a short off season? Could be. So I've picked against San Jose and Pittsburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad