GDT: 2016-17 NHL Playoffs Thread - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
just saying though, he was the 4th leading Dman in points in the NHL. Im cool giving 6 mill to him over players like 38 point Backes and "leadership" he brings.

I`m not cool with a guy who puts those points up but can`t play D, especially when that players natural position is D

This team already has a 7 million dollar man who concerns me in DK, I`m not as disappointed in Backes as many here, I truly believe, with now a full season behind him in a new city, his family settled in and him settled in we`ll see his game improve.

Add to that some depth up front and that too will help

I put Shattenkirk in the same camp as Yandle, a severely overrated D-man and I mean over rated by fans

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I`m not cool with a guy who puts those points up but can`t play D, especially when that players natural position is D

This team already has a 7 million dollar man who concerns me in DK, I`m not as disappointed in Backes as many here, I truly believe, with now a full season behind him in a new city, his family settled in and him settled in we`ll see his game improve.

I put Shattenkirk in the same camp as Yandle, a severely overrated D-man and I mean over rated by fans

he may have some weaknesses with his D but thats not uncommon with offensive Dmen, you can acquire other D that focus more on D and combine them with the offensive Dman. Too often we are pinned in our own zone which hampers our forwards creating plays. I would like puck general to help with that weakness.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
he may have some weaknesses with his D but thats not uncommon with offensive Dmen, you can acquire other D that focus more on D and combine them with the offensive Dman. Too often we are pinned in our own zone. I would like puck general to help with that weakness.

just not on the same page as you and that`s ok

I`d rather not spend 6-7 million at all than spend it on him

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Did you see that OT wrister by Shattenkirk.
The B's could use him next year. Go get'm Donnie.

Don't need Shattenkirk especially at the price he will be asking. Our top 4 of Chara, Carlo, Krug and McAvoy is solid. If we are to go big game hunting it should be for a top 6 forward.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
This angle is the most indicative I'd say. An argument could be made that he was bracing himself for impact, but I dunno. The way his right hand grabs his stick at the opportune moment is a little too convenient for me.

Looks to me like Niskanen wasn't even looking at Crosby when he hit him, like he was looking across the crease to keep an eye on the puck and they just collided though Niskanen does have his stick up there.

But yeah it was Crosby so Niskanen will be suspended.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Looks to me like Niskanen wasn't even looking at Crosby when he hit him, like he was looking across the crease to keep an eye on the puck and they just collided though Niskanen does have his stick up there.

Crosby's left knee looked like it bent on that fall

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Now that I've looked at it again you're right, it did bend. But I think Niskanen was too close & going too fast to stop though I don't like his stick being up there like that.

I feel like I've seen this type of hit a Boston player this year and it went unpenalized.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Now that I've looked at it again you're right, it did bend. But I think Niskanen was too close & going too fast to stop though I don't like his stick being up there like that.

didn`t look good

I don`t want to see injury or concussion but to say I have any empathy for the Pens organization as a whole just won`t happen from this fan

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

Bingo. Exactly my thoughts when I think of Shattenkirk. Someone will severely overpay for this guy this offseason, I hope it isn't Sweeney

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014

It's interesting that you should bring that up, because the lack of eye contact is a slightly strange factor in it all - if you're bracing for impact, you'd perhaps expect to be looking at the guy coming towards you. It's almost likes he's trying to not look inconspicuous - you've gotta remember that he was lining Crosby up for hit before he went down to his knees.

The final piece that I'll present to the jury is this shot from the Sportsnet site. Arms extended upon contact - that says enough for me. I'm convinced it was intentional.

Crosby_Niskanen-368x207.jpg

It may be Crosby, but it sucks to see any player go down when they have a concussion history. Great players can be robbed of good years.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Sneaky and nasty hit by Niskanen. Hope he sits for a while.

It's interesting that you should bring that up, because the lack of eye contact is a slightly strange factor in it all - if you're bracing for impact, you'd perhaps expect to be looking at the guy coming towards you. It's almost likes he's trying to not look inconspicuous - you've gotta remember that he was lining Crosby up for hit before he went down to his knees.

The final piece that I'll present to the jury is this shot from the Sportsnet site. Arms extended upon contact - that says enough for me. I'm convinced it was intentional.

It may be Crosby, but it sucks to see any player go down when they have a concussion history. Great players can be robbed of good years.

Don't think the Niskanen hit was either sneaky or nasty and the Ovechkin slash that went uncalled was much worse IMO.

I think we have seen before many times how misrepresentative "still" photos can be on a play like this. Crosby was driving the net, he got slashed high by AO, and was on his knees when Niskanen (who was going to the back post) made contact. Niskanen was not even looking at Crosby, and despite the photo, didn't overly extend his arms, he just braced for contact. His stick wasn't even that high and would never have struck Crosby in the head if he wasn't falling down.

It should have been a 2 minute penalty at the most, and there was zero intent to injure. It was just an unfortunate hockey play (much like Crosby taking off the tip of Methot's finger or so I have been told), but because it was Crosby, and he stayed down, Niskanen got the gate.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Don't think the Niskanen hit was either sneaky or nasty and the Ovechkin slash that went uncalled was much worse IMO.

I think we have seen before many times how misrepresentative "still" photos can be on a play like this. Crosby was driving the net, he got slashed high by AO, and was on his knees when Niskanen (who was going to the back post) made contact. Niskanen was not even looking at Crosby, and despite the photo, didn't overly extend his arms, he just braced for contact. His stick wasn't even that high and would never have struck Crosby in the head if he wasn't falling down.

It should have been a 2 minute penalty at the most, and there was zero intent to injure. It was just an unfortunate hockey play (much like Crosby taking off the tip of Methot's finger or so I have been told), but because it was Crosby, and he stayed down, Niskanen got the gate.

I dont think the Niskanen hit was intentional. Im chalking this one up to **** happens in hockey. Its a fast game

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

What is Niskanen supposed to do in that situation?

This is playoff hockey, it's tough, it's nasty and high in intensity. Slow motion or still photos don't do how quickly these things happen justice.

Cross checking someone and try yo injure them are two different things.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC

There should be a ban of using stills on controversial hits. They completely remove all context from the event

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Disagree, Niskanen had no interference from another player, no reason to line him up and plenty of time to avoid crosschecking him in the head. I can see why people could claim it was unintentional, but Niskanen has the skill and awareness to avoid doing what he did. Hell, he even changed direction after Crosby started to fall. . .

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Like or Hate Crosby and the Pens, its not good to see him like that.

Ovy being Ovy with a dirty play to start the whole thing off.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I think if a player is lining up to hit another player yes he's going to be looking at him to make sure he hits the guy, after all the guy has the ability to move to avoid contact. I don't see Niskanen doing that here but of course I can't read his mind as to his intention to injure Crosby or not.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

This further confuses me.

I think the Niskanen hit was dirty and purposeful. I can't believe that it isn't going to be subject to further discipline.

We've seen far less get punished more severely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad