Line Combos: 2016-17 Line Combinations II

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Marchy Bergy Franky
DeBrusk Krech Backes
Beleskey Spoon Pasta
Schaller Moore Nash

Won't happen tho..

Grumpy Grizz

Feb 27, 2002
Comox, Vancouver Island.
Is there any reason that we can't break up 63 - 37? As much as they have been playing together for years, when your team is having trouble scoring you need to mix and match. This has been one of the criticisms of Claude for a while now.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Is there any reason that we can't break up 63 - 37? As much as they have been playing together for years, when your team is having trouble scoring you need to mix and match. This has been one of the criticisms of Claude for a while now.

And it's probably a fair one. Though I think we, as fans, only consider a tiny piece of the whole puzzle when we think about lines. For example, how does that change affect your PK combos? What about the PP? What about the last 3 minutes of a game? What about how you use lines? What about how other teams match up against you? Are there players you want to keep away from certain matchups?

Fwiw, I've been suggesting this for awhile...

63-46-42
51-37-88
39-27-72
59-28-20

I think spooner can replicate the playmaking and chemistry Marchand has with Pasta. It gives Krejci a dynamic offensive player who likes to shoot plus the heavy wing he likes to play with. Czarnik is suspect in the 3C hole but he has chemistry with Vatrano so maybe that line could work. I wish Beleskey could play center. I think if he just played a rugged, high energy defensive game between this two he'd help the D get it out and then 27 & 72 could do their thing.

But maybe they look at that and think it won't work. We'd be putting Spooner out against top lines. Or the bench would be chaotic coming out a PK because players from all 4 lines were used...

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
And it's probably a fair one. Though I think we, as fans, only consider a tiny piece of the whole puzzle when we think about lines. For example, how does that change affect your PK combos? What about the PP? What about the last 3 minutes of a game? What about how you use lines? What about how other teams match up against you? Are there players you want to keep away from certain matchups?

Fwiw, I've been suggesting this for awhile...

63-46-42
51-37-88
39-27-72
59-28-20

I think spooner can replicate the playmaking and chemistry Marchand has with Pasta. It gives Krejci a dynamic offensive player who likes to shoot plus the heavy wing he likes to play with. Czarnik is suspect in the 3C hole but he has chemistry with Vatrano so maybe that line could work. I wish Beleskey could play center. I think if he just played a rugged, high energy defensive game between this two he'd help the D get it out and then 27 & 72 could do their thing.

But maybe they look at that and think it won't work. We'd be putting Spooner out against top lines. Or the bench would be chaotic coming out a PK because players from all 4 lines were used...

Whatever the combination of the top 9 - those 3 players should always be on the 4th.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
I would love to see the kids come up and spread the wealth through the line up. I also would like to see Spooner given a couple games on the top line setting up Marchand and Bergeron.

Marchand-Bergeron-Spooner
Vatrano-Krejci-Cehlarik
Debrusk-Backes-Pastrnak
Beleskey-Moore-Czarnik
Schaller/ Nash

Chara-Carlo
Krug-McQuaid
K Miller-C Miller

lucic27

proposal trade
Jul 7, 2014
QUÉBEC CITY
Marchand Bergeron Pastrnak Best line tonight

kreci Backes ok trade Vatrano

Belesky spooner Czarnik speed line last year ( trade Belesky)

Schaller Moore Nash 4 line for this year

My offer : McAvoy + jakob forsbacka karlsson + Vatrano + Hayes + Liles for

Olivier Ekman Larson +Martin Hanzal+ Duclair

project the rest 2017 and 2018

Marchand Bergeron Pastrnak

Hanzal Kreci Backes

Belesky Spooner Duclair

Schaller Moore Nash or Czarnik

OLivier Ekman Larsson k Miller

Chara Carlo

Krug Mcquaid or C miller

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Here's a lineup they haven't tried, that I'd really like to see...

Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
Beleskey - Krejci - Cehlarik
Spooner - Backes - Vatrano
Schaller - Moore - Nash

I know Sweeney/Langenbrunner feel Cehlarik isn't playing fast enough for the call up, but Krejci doesn't play fast either. Marchand/Pasta, Spooner/Czarnik/Vatrano all play fast, but Krejci is still looking for someone to cycle with (in the same way that Chara is looking for someone to go D2D with). Cehlarik has 8pts in his last 5 games. 4 goals, 4 assists +6. He's bigger, stronger and better defensively than Heinen and Czarnik and they've both been given multiple looks. Enough already. Kid could be a low rent Loui Eriksson and that might be what Krejci (and Beleskey) need right now.

tremha

Mar 9, 2011
March Berg Pasta
Belesky Backes Czarnik
Spooner Krecji Vatrano
Schaller Moore Nash

substitute czarnik in to 3'rd line
move Nash to 4'th
sit Hayes

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Here's a lineup they haven't tried, that I'd really like to see...

Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
Beleskey - Krejci - Cehlarik
Spooner - Backes - Vatrano
Schaller - Moore - Nash

I know Sweeney/Langenbrunner feel Cehlarik isn't playing fast enough for the call up, but Krejci doesn't play fast either. Marchand/Pasta, Spooner/Czarnik/Vatrano all play fast, but Krejci is still looking for someone to cycle with (in the same way that Chara is looking for someone to go D2D with). Cehlarik has 8pts in his last 5 games. 4 goals, 4 assists +6. He's bigger, stronger and better defensively than Heinen and Czarnik and they've both been given multiple looks. Enough already. Kid could be a low rent Loui Eriksson and that might be what Krejci (and Beleskey) need right now.

Whenever I feel like I'm certain Spooner just isn't a good fit for this Bruins team, he goes and has a game or two that make me say to myself " well, wait a minute, maybe he's breaking thru ".

I think at the end of the season, the Bruins should explore into what options they have internally ( Gabrielle, Bjork, DeBrusk ) and externally ( Landeskog, Duchene ) for the LW spot that Spooner currently occupies. While he's an excellent PP playmaker and his speed is certainly an asset, his limitations as a player devalue a lot of the good he brings

Pros:

- excellent passer

- speedy and creative skater

- high offensive zone IQ

- above average PP player

Cons:

- sup par board work

- not consistent enough effort

- below average at the faceoff circle to be a true center

- doesn't have a shoot the puck first mentality to be a true winger

Taking a couple of your ideas and next year we could see:

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pasta

Landeskog -- Krejci -- Cehlarik

Vatrano -- Backes -- Bjork

Schaller -- Kuraly -- Nash

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
The lines are actually playing well right now. I would keep them as they are. If it goes stale, I would try:

Marchand/Bergeron/Spooner
Vatrano/Krejci/Pastrnak
Belesky/Czarnik/Backes
Schaller/Moore/Nash

I really want to see Spooner on the right wing. I think he keeps his speed much better from that side. On the left side, he always shuffle steps in the neutral zone and it slows him down. On the right side he tends to drive hard with speed and then hit the brakes and create space to hit a trailer.

If the season is falling to pieces, I would like to see it end with the following lineup:

Marchand/Bergeron/Pastrnak
Cehlarik/Krejci/Backes
Vatrano/Spooner/Bjork
Belesky/Moore/Nash

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Backes needs to rediscover his game. The best place for him to do that is at his natural center position. He'll need to figure out the Bruins system, sure.. but Julien should not baby/ insulate him any longer. He should be trusted to anchor a line on his own.

The season obviously will live or die based on his ability to find his game. Might as well make that as evident as possible. Challenge him and make it clear that he needs to do it.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Beleskey-Krejci-Vatrano
Moore-Backes-Hayes/Czarnik
Schaller-Spooner-Nash

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Backes needs to rediscover his game. The best place for him to do that is at his natural center position. He'll need to figure out the Bruins system, sure.. but Julien should not baby/ insulate him any longer. He should be trusted to anchor a line on his own.

The season obviously will live or die based on his ability to find his game. Might as well make that as evident as possible. Challenge him and make it clear that he needs to do it.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Beleskey-Krejci-Vatrano
Moore-Backes-Hayes/Czarnik
Schaller-Spooner-Nash

Has there been a recent Bruins team where it was so hard to put together lines.

Centers playing wing. Wingers playing center. Lefties playing the right.

An elite No.1 line and a mish-mashed pile of question marks.

But if your going to put Backes at C, give him someone to play with. I'd keep him with Vatrano. Backes is a good playmaker and can find Vatrano in those soft spots.

And Ryan Spooner shouldn't see one more game at center in a Bruin uniform. Total defensive liability.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Has there been a recent Bruins team where it was so hard to put together lines.

Centers playing wing. Wingers playing center. Lefties playing the right.

An elite No.1 line and a mish-mashed pile of question marks.

But if your going to put Backes at C, give him someone to play with. I'd keep him with Vatrano. Backes is a good playmaker and can find Vatrano in those soft spots.

And Ryan Spooner shouldn't see one more game at center in a Bruin uniform. Total defensive liability.

Vatrano is a defensive liability. Putting him with Backes while he's in this funk isn't a great idea in my opinion.

I would give Backes the defensive assignments. Make him responsible for being responsible and maybe hopefully the rest of his game will follow suit.

Moore gives him some veteran help if he doesn't remember how to take faceoffs or play center. Czarnik can provide speed or Hayes provides...ya.

As for Spooner, I tend to agree. But until he's traded, gotta put him where he might just might be able to be useful. Limited mins vs other team's 4th line and power play. That's how I'd use him.

Backes really pisses me off right now. Supposed to be this "leader", hard nosed physical player that goes to the dirty areas? I see none of that. I see a liability all over the ice who can't keep up and doesn't bring anything positive to the team. He talks a good game. Need to put his money, all 6 million worth, where his mouth is.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Vatrano is a defensive liability. Putting him with Backes while he's in this funk isn't a great idea in my opinion.

I would give Backes the defensive assignments. Make him responsible for being responsible and maybe hopefully the rest of his game will follow suit.

Moore gives him some veteran help if he doesn't remember how to take faceoffs or play center. Czarnik can provide speed or Hayes provides...ya.

As for Spooner, I tend to agree. But until he's traded, gotta put him where he might just might be able to be useful. Limited mins vs other team's 4th line and power play. That's how I'd use him.

Backes really pisses me off right now. Supposed to be this "leader", hard nosed physical player that goes to the dirty areas? I see none of that. I see a liability all over the ice who can't keep up and doesn't bring anything positive to the team. He talks a good game. Need to put his money, all 6 million worth, where his mouth is.

Your more down on Backes than I am, although his last 10 games haven't really been good outside of that one game against Pittsburgh.

Keep Vatrano with Backes, and give them Nash for the defensive role your proposing for Moore. Czarnik is just as big a liability defensively as Vatrano is, maybe even moreso.

I want all 4 centers to be strong defensively, this team can't afford any liabilities in the middle, not with the way the D is constructed. So Moore to the 4th in the middle.

I like Belesky with Krejci. I just don't know who to put on the other side. Spooner....Czarnik...Schaller......Hayes?

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Belesky - Krejci - XXXX
Vatrano - Backes - Nash
XXXX - Moore - XXXX

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Your more down on Backes than I am, although his last 10 games haven't really been good outside of that one game against Pittsburgh.

Keep Vatrano with Backes, and give them Nash for the defensive role your proposing for Moore. Czarnik is just as big a liability defensively as Vatrano is, maybe even moreso.

I want all 4 centers to be strong defensively, this team can't afford any liabilities in the middle, not with the way the D is constructed. So Moore to the 4th in the middle.

I like Belesky with Krejci. I just don't know who to put on the other side. Spooner....Czarnik...Schaller......Hayes?

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Belesky - Krejci - XXXX
Vatrano - Backes - Nash
XXXX - Moore - XXXX

I could live with that.

The main thing to me is trying to focus on the supposed strength of the roster, as it was (supposedly) meant to be.. Strength down the middle. Bergeron, Krejci, Backes, Moore.

I notice Spooner isn't on your roster at all. Hopefully moving him could fill in that spot on Krejci's right, which has been a black hole recently.

I would love to see the Bruins bring someone up from Providence to try out in those roles. Blidh did well in my opinion. Why can't other guys get a try? Surely they couldn't be any worse.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I could live with that.

The main thing to me is trying to focus on the supposed strength of the roster, as it was (supposedly) meant to be.. Strength down the middle. Bergeron, Krejci, Backes, Moore.

I notice Spooner isn't on your roster at all. Hopefully moving him could fill in that spot on Krejci's right, which has been a black hole recently.

I would love to see the Bruins bring someone up from Providence to try out in those roles. Blidh did well in my opinion. Why can't other guys get a try? Surely they couldn't be any worse.

Agree totally.

Spooner would be somewhere. The RW spot alongside Krejci like you said is the most likely. I'm hesistant putting guys on their off-wing, they did it with Vatrano a couple weeks ago and you could see he really struggled on break-outs along the wall. But it could work. Spooner did see a bit of time late last season on the RW of 63 and 37.

I'm with you on giving a P-Bruin a try. We've seen Kuraly, Blidh, and Heinen. I'd like to give one of Debrusk or Cehlarik a cup of coffee like they did with Gryz a couple months back. It's worth a try, considering right now forwards 7 through 13 have generated all of 2 goals the past 10 games.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Agree totally.

Spooner would be somewhere. The RW spot alongside Krejci like you said is the most likely. I'm hesistant putting guys on their off-wing, they did it with Vatrano a couple weeks ago and you could see he really struggled on break-outs along the wall. But it could work. Spooner did see a bit of time late last season on the RW of 63 and 37.

I'm with you on giving a P-Bruin a try. We've seen Kuraly, Blidh, and Heinen. I'd like to give one of Debrusk or Cehlarik a cup of coffee like they did with Gryz a couple months back. It's worth a try, considering right now forwards 7 through 13 have generated all of 2 goals the past 10 games.

I think you`ll be seeing a few of the kids come up from Providence in the weeks coming as I`m expecting this team to be out of it enough to do so, I`m not nor have I been on board with calling up any of the prospects as I don`t think they could have or would have made a lick of difference, just too many holes to plug for one guy to have an impact

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think you`ll be seeing a few of the kids come up from Providence in the weeks coming as I`m expecting this team to be out of it enough to do so, I`m not nor have I been on board with calling up any of the prospects as I don`t think they could have or would have made a lick of difference, just too many holes to plug for one guy to have an impact

Agree, I more or less want to see some of these guys just to get a better feel for what they can bring next season, and if they are realistic options to graduate to Boston next October.

I'd say we'll a few guys up and down over the next 6-8 weeks as the Bruins fall out of the race, and perhaps you'll see a couple bodies sold for mid-draft picks.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Agree, I more or less want to see some of these guys just to get a better feel for what they can bring next season, and if they are realistic options to graduate to Boston next October.

I'd say we'll a few guys up and down over the next 6-8 weeks as the Bruins fall out of the race, and perhaps you'll see a couple bodies sold for mid-draft picks.

it will be interesting to see how Cassidy handles the personnel, wonder if he knocks on DS`s door and asks for a few kids to come up now?

My opinion, removing CJ is essentially throwing the towel in on the season, might as well sell and start giving some kids a look

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
it will be interesting to see how Cassidy handles the personnel, wonder if he knocks on DS`s door and asks for a few kids to come up now?

My opinion, removing CJ is essentially throwing the towel in on the season, might as well sell and start giving some kids a look

You would think so. That's the logical conclusion.

But my guess is they are delusional enough to think they are still in it and will go shopping for rental help at the deadline.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You would think so. That's the logical conclusion.

But my guess is they are delusional enough to think they are still in it and will go shopping for rental help at the deadline.

or go deep with a hail mary to sign Ryder who`s just sitting out there rested:sarcasm:

Now, I need to come clean, I have watched exactly 0 games of Providence when Cassidy was in charge, would those here who have can they fill me in on the type of game he likes to see him players play please and thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->