League News: 2016-17 General NHL Fan Talk - Part the Second (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Who has the modern day cap killers on their roster? Yeah all goalies, I know. Besides the Gs.

That is who I want to avoid. I cannot recall them all. Brunette seemed like one for a while there. I remember a Finn. Help. I think some have retired.

Maybe Pittsburgh has Jon Sim buried in the minors just waiting to face us.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe Pittsburgh has Jon Sim buried in the minors just waiting to face us.

Thanks! I had an islanders short name short player on the tip of the keyboard... best I could do was Richard park :laugh:

There are more... including the curse of the Finns working against us

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Hi friends, good luck in the playoffs this year! Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but I was wondering if your team does a fan appreciation night and if so what it entails.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
do other International athletes get paid like this?

What the women's team was asking for and received is pretty standard. the specifics vary from sport to sport. In this case the women wanted to be a full time national team like the women's national soccer team and the women's national ski team and so forth. Those are all full time jobs.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Paying players to represent your country seems really weird to me, although they are making some money for their federations, so it makes sense.

You were saying this is standard, but do male athletes get paid for any international events? they seem to bring in way more money in most sports.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Paying players to represent your country seems really weird to me, although they are making some money for their federations, so it makes sense.

You were saying this is standard, but do male athletes get paid for any international events? they seem to bring in way more money in most sports.

The men's USA national ski team gets paid what the women's gets. they compete in a full season of ski competitions annually and have an off season training schedule. the alpine skiing events are not non profit. there is significant tv money, advertising and gate. Same as with the women's national soccer team on a smaller scale. Women's national soccer team members make a lot more money than $70k.

Women's hockey is a booming sport on participation side. There is a fortune to be made in selling gear and so forth to that boom. These female hockey players are the face of that. Just because we don't see them on TV much doesn't mean that there are not a lot of people getting rich off of what they bring with their play, training and dedication.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'm not saying the Woman don't deserve to get paid, it's just interesting that they seem to have different deals then the Men. If anything I'm saying that Women international sports are going in the right direction and Men should do the same.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm not saying the Woman don't deserve to get paid, it's just interesting that they seem to have different deals then the Men. If anything I'm saying that Women international sports are going in the right direction and Men should do the same.

Men do have the same in sports where they have a fulltime national team. The men's world championship team is made up of professionals committed full time elsewhere. I believe there is a USA Hockey national development team and they get the same.

Part of the issue with USA Hockey, IIRC, was that the men had a full time team that played a full time schedule every year. Olympics or not. The women did not and that was their primary demand.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Men do have the same in sports where they have a fulltime national team. The men's world championship team is made up of professionals committed full time elsewhere. I believe there is a USA Hockey national development team and they get the same.

Part of the issue with USA Hockey, IIRC, was that the men had a full time team that played a full time schedule every year. Olympics or not. The women did not and that was their primary demand.

I thought the mens world championship teams didn't get paid, and I didn't realize that the players on development teams got paid.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Hawks beating the Penguins 3-0. Could be the end of the Penguins hope for the division.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Make it 4-0.

If the Penguins don't get healthy I can't see them repeating. Meanwhile Chicago's early season mediocre play is in the past and lately they have been Cup caliber again. Clear favorites in the West IMO.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Seeing that Fleury is active in your opponent's lineup for your league final:

d91.gif

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I thought the mens world championship teams didn't get paid, and I didn't realize that the players on development teams got paid.

yes...that is what I was saying. the nhl players don't get paid. they are clealy in a different category than the women's team or the ski team or the gymnastics team and so forth

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Make it 4-0.

If the Penguins don't get healthy I can't see them repeating. Meanwhile Chicago's early season mediocre play is in the past and lately they have been Cup caliber again. Clear favorites in the West IMO.

Yeah, this is definitely NOT the same CHI team we swatted down the last we played. They're the team that worries me most.

Meanwhile, it's nice to bask in the simple joys of life; like watching the Pens get debacled on national TV...

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I turned it on for a second and Pierre was talking about the Penguins of the 90s. Still finding a way to make it all about Pittsburgh no matter what.

Switched over to USMNT soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad