Prospect Info: 2016-17 Flyers Prospects - Top 5 GOALIES, #1

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This year we are splitting the polls into a top 20 for skaters, and a top 5 for goalies. This is the first poll for GOALIES.

Fedotov, Ivan
Hart, Carter
Lyon, Alex
Madsen, Merrick
Sandstrom, Felix
Stolarz, Anthony
Tomek, Matej

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
You really can't go with anyone but Stolarz here. Goalies are such a crapshoot, you have to give the nod to the guy who is furthest along even if someone else may be considered to have more potential (which is entirely debatable here as well).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I agree, but I also wouldn't be shocked if Lyon beats him out for the starting job on the Phantoms at some point. Hextall obviously thinks he's a great prospect since he was willing to burn a year off his ELC.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Stolarz now but wouldn't surprise me if one of Hart, Sandstrom, or Lyon were considered the #1 guy next year. Considering the prospects on the blueline, the goalie situation hasn't looked this promising in a looooooong time.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Stolarz. His track record speaks for its self. He has been an interesting prospect to follow. He had a great jump into the OHL, minus a injury and suspension, and has been able to be "good enough" in the AHL to have hope for him to turn into atleast a 1B. Experience is number 1 determinate factor for me when it comes to evaluating goalies. AHL > SHL > KHL > CHL > NCAA > other leagues.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm staying out of this poll, I just don't know how to compare these guys.
Stolarz and Lyon are the "old guys," how do you compare good AHL play with great NCAA play?
Hart and Sandstrom are probably the two highest potential guys, but how do you compare SHL with NA hockey?
And Madsen is two years behind Lyon but maybe will outperform him in college?
Tomek and Federov are the easiest, in the "wait and see" category.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I'm staying out of this poll, I just don't know how to compare these guys.
Stolarz and Lyon are the "old guys," how do you compare good AHL play with great NCAA play?
Hart and Sandstrom are probably the two highest potential guys, but how do you compare SHL with NA hockey?
And Madsen is two years behind Lyon but maybe will outperform him in college?
Tomek and Federov are the easiest, in the "wait and see" category.

It's indeed harder to compare and rank goalies but you can basically say the same about skaters.

While doing these kind of polls, one simply has to make adjustment or set the deciding factor (or multiple factors) when voting for certain player, it is what it is... These prospects are in the range of 18 to 24, and it is sometimes awfully tough to do, but still possible when you choose your own priorities which you like. It's really similar to skaters, just harder because goalies are even more unknown.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I picked Sandstrom on the gut feeling (and hope) that he is going to be the one in net when we finally raise number three. Hardly the most scientific call, but like I have said before, the universe owes us karma on Swedish goaltending.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I'm voting for Stolarz. He was a real raw project when drafted who keeps improving. I really like his upside. He took a big step forward in his 2nd AHL season and really would carry that team on his back for good stretches of time.

Hart and Sandstrom are awesome prospects as well, and I wouldn't argue with anyone who votes for them.

Lyon is lower on my list than most. I'm not ready to put him in the top tier until he proves himself this season. I'm skeptical about free agent college goalies, and will rank the kids with pedigree higher until proven otherwise.

Tomek obviously didn't play this year, and will be ranked lower than Hart and Sandstrom because of it, but could easily rebound. I saw Madsen play twice last year and thought he looked great. A real big, athletic kid. His stats are unreal, but some say they may be inflated. Fedotov I just have no clue about.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'm a Sandstrom fan. Voted him. Stolarz -- there's just something I don't trust. Curious to see how Stolarz and Lyon compare with the Phantoms.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
This year we are splitting the polls into a top 20 for skaters, and a top 5 for goalies. This is the first poll for GOALIES.

Fedotov, Ivan
Hart, Carter
Lyon, Alex
Madsen, Merrick
Sandstrom, Felix
Stolarz, Anthony
Tomek, Matej

Big fan of Stolarz but after hearing Ron talk about Hart at the draft I voted for Carter. There is something about this kid that I cannot put my finger on but he seems to have the "it" factor. Anyway Stolarz will come in at #2 for me.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I went with Stolarz. Best SV% in OHL. Now AHL All-Star.

Seems like once he gets settled in a league, he ups his play.

Hart was close though...CHL goalie of the year at 17. But he is still so young and far from making he NHL.

So glad we actually have good players at all positions.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You really can't look at stats to get the full story either. A lot is team based (the gaps of teams can be much larger than in the NHL for example) & the stat trackers in some of these arenas aren't really close to being accurate.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Stolarz now but wouldn't surprise me if one of Hart, Sandstrom, or Lyon were considered the #1 guy next year. Considering the prospects on the blueline, the goalie situation hasn't looked this promising in a looooooong time.

It would not surprise me if Stolarz is never the Flyers' starter. He will likely get the nod if Neuvirth is dealt this year, but Sandstrom or Hart could just as likely be the long term starter. Lyon and Madsen are the wildcards.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
I thought Anthony Stolarz was the best prospective goalie in the Flyers' system, but HF says that it's Alex Lyon.

Interesting...

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
You really can't look at stats to get the full story either. A lot is team based (the gaps of teams can be much larger than in the NHL for example) & the stat trackers in some of these arenas aren't really close to being accurate.

I went with Stolarz. Best SV% in OHL. Now AHL All-Star.

Seems like once he gets settled in a league, he ups his play.

Hart was close though...CHL goalie of the year at 17. But he is still so young and far from making he NHL.

So glad we actually have good players at all positions.

Speaking of stats vs pedigree and the fickle nature of goalie prospects, the CHL Goalie of the Year thing is pretty interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHL_Goaltender_of_the_Year

I find that list of winners quite encouraging and actually surprisingly predictive of the chances of at least sustaining a long/notable NHL career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad