2016-17 English League Cup and FA Cup

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
FA Cup matters to me. I know the PL title is much bigger but this loss is just a little rain on our parade. Obviously, not as big as Real Madrid quickly stealing the thunder from Atletico in 2014 when Atletico were celebrating their league title and Real just pissed on it by beating them in the UCL Final a week later.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
FA Cup matters to me. I know the PL title is much bigger but this loss is just a little rain on our parade. Obviously, not as big as Real Madrid quickly stealing the thunder from Atletico in 2014 when Atletico were celebrating their league title and Real just pissed on it by beating them in the UCL Final a week later.

There's a difference between wanting to win it, and it being a big priority though. It's a nice thing to have, but it's not the league title or the Champions League. I'm not happy Chelsea came out flat, played sloppy for most of the game, and lost to an Arsenal side missing half their defense, but I'm also not going to let it put a damper on an otherwise very good season.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It was a priority for Chelsea (more than Arsenal) since they played their regulars more throughout the competition. The mental gymnastics being done here is hilarious.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm only happy because we beat Divesea, but I just know that this won't change anything in the long run (where it matters).

Wenger will still be the manager, we won't sign anybody efficient to help this team, we're still in Europe giving us a garbage of a schedule, and this team will still be under Arsene's tactics and mentality. All of this and Oezil with Ramsey are surely going to get major minutes making Wenger buy no one. Sell these ****s.

Opposing teams should still have the last laugh.

Only thing to look forward next year is if Sanchez signs a new contract and the return of Cazorla who solidifies our midfield.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It was a priority for Chelsea (more than Arsenal) since they played their regulars more throughout the competition. The mental gymnastics being done here is hilarious.

I said it wasn't a priority for me. Of course they played more regulars though, Arsenal was in the CL and Chelsea were not. I highly doubt next year that Chelsea will be focused on the FA Cup anymore than they are in a typical year where they have the league and CL to deal with.

Arsenal was the better team today, no doubt about that. They deserve this win 100%, and I'm not happy with how Chelsea played here in any way.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
DA2sNyqXkAEmfeH.jpg:large

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

No mental gymnastics. Over the course of the season, sure, Arsenal were in Europe and chasing the CL spot; Chelsea weren't in Europe.

Now, with all that's happened..Chelsea champions, Arsenal missing the CL, team feeling disrespected, doubts about the future. Arsenal clearly had an emotional need here that went beyond the normal ambition to win the Cup.

Previous FA Cup triumphs papered over the cracks at Arsenal and bought Wenger time, so you wonder whether this has a similar effect

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Roberto Holdini with another good performance today against a world class striker in Costa

Do non-Arsenal rate Holding? I see him being praised a lot by Arsenal fans, but seems to be under the radar by others. Would love to see other fans' opinions on him.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Do non-Arsenal rate Holding? I see him being praised a lot by Arsenal fans, but seems to be under the radar by others. Would love to see other fans' opinions on him.

I think Arsenal fans pump his tires a little bit too much. He's pretty good but has ways to go.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Well, he plays in a back three. It is very difficult to tell how good CB's are in a back three. The only time I saw him in a back four this season, they gave up four goals. So I can't tell.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Well, he plays in a back three. It is very difficult to tell how good CB's are in a back three. The only time I saw him in a back four this season, they gave up four goals. So I can't tell.

Chambers was at fault most of the time in that game. Holding didn't even have a bad game tbh. Especially for his first game in the PL with a team full of reserves alongside him.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Was out all afternoon, kept myself off of Facebook, Twitter, etc and thus only just watched the game, completely blind.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Arsenal 100% deserved to win based on balance of play.
2. That said, the Sanchez goal was offside because Ramsay clearly effected the play by being in an offside position.
3. Taking off Costa late was dumb.
4. Moses had a shocker. Damn. Idiot.
5. Mertesacker had a great match.
6. Gary Cahill is a pretty neat player. Two goal line clearances in one match.

Also, I'd just like to note that (afaik) this was the first booking for simulation Chelsea had this year. On the last day. So yeah, that.

Props to Arsenal who played a great game today, if they were more clinical it could have been pretty bloody in the first half (not 6-0 bloody though :sarcasm:). This would've been a terrific way to cap off the season, but unfortunately it wasn't to be. No longer do we have the King of Wembley and Assassin of Arsenal, so I guess it makes sense.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad