WJC: 2016 — USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Selfishly glad Donato made it. I dont get to see many of the guys so I dont know that he's better than others, but I do see him every year at Bruins development camp and he's played well there. Glad he made the team.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
One of them is playing for the Hurricanes, the other was ruled ineligible to play for us.

I don't really fault the coaches, just saying that I don't think those two are good enough to play the roles that they are playing for a team that thinks they can win the tournament.

You need to calm down. Borgen is going to be fine. In Sabres prospect camp, he held his own against Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart more often than not, and nobody in this tournament (other than his teammate) is as good as either of those guys. Maybe he belongs in a traditional bottom pair role, but this team isn't built like that. Each pair has a puck mover and a stay at home guy. That's clearly by design. And Borgen will excel in that role.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
One of them is playing for the Hurricanes, the other was ruled ineligible to play for us.

I don't really fault the coaches, just saying that I don't think those two are good enough to play the roles that they are playing for a team that thinks they can win the tournament.

So you've got no actual, viable alternatives in mind, you're just complaining to complain?
I'm a little surprised Caleb Jones didn't get a look on D, but other than that, I can't really complain about the group we've got. There just wasn't as much talent available on the blue line for us as there was up front. But I'm also not overwhelmed by any other team's defense either. It's not USA's strongest point, but I don't think our D disadvantages us. Plus, I'm excited to watch Borgen as a Sabres fan.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
So you've got no actual, viable alternatives in mind, you're just complaining to complain?
I'm a little surprised Caleb Jones didn't get a look on D, but other than that, I can't really complain about the group we've got. There just wasn't as much talent available on the blue line for us as there was up front. But I'm also not overwhelmed by any other team's defense either. It's not USA's strongest point, but I don't think our D disadvantages us. Plus, I'm excited to watch Borgen as a Sabres fan.

Anybody that entered one of the pools knows how thin the defense is in general for this year's tournament. I've never seen such a lack of big name talent on the back end throughout the entire roster of teams. That does leave room for some younger guys to step up though, and probably makes for a bumper crop of dmen next year.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
This isn't college hockey, its a much higher level. I don't think Borgen should've been on the team at all, and I don't think Belpedio is a 2nd pair defenseman at this level. Thats not to say they aren't good prospects, just that I don't think either really should be playing big roles for this team.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. The Buffalo Sabres and Ron Wilson disagree with you, but what do they know about hockey, amirite?

IMHO, I think you're falling victim to a pedigree bias. Borgen doesn't have a history with Team USA and isn't a top round draft pick, but I can say with confidence after watching him all season, there's a very good reason why he made this team over Ryan Collins. He'll do fine.

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
Y

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. The Buffalo Sabres and Ron Wilson disagree with you, but what do they know about hockey, amirite?

IMHO, I think you're falling victim to a pedigree bias. Borgen doesn't have a history with Team USA and isn't a top round draft pick, but I can say with confidence after watching him all season, there's a very good reason why he made this team over Ryan Collins. He'll do fine.

That doesn't say much Collins sucks he looked bad in their games..Borgen is good but he'll have trouble going up against other teams skilled guys

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
:laugh: Yeah, a bunch of 17 year olds sure beat the NCAA in physicality.

I guess it depends on how you define it. Remember the age comparison between the leagues is a relative thing. As you say there are 17 year olds in the CHL but no 22 year olds either. It may be that the CHL overall plays a more physical game because it may be more based on the pro game. Being physical in hockey doesn't just mean slamming someone into the boards.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
That doesn't say much Collins sucks he looked bad in their games..Borgen is good but he'll have trouble going up against other teams skilled guys

People keep saying that everytime he jumps a level and it hasn't happened yet. SCSU's coaches were worried about bringing him in without a full year of juniors and he's been outstanding. The head coach has been quoted as saying he's gone from worrying about how he'd do to worrying about how long the Huskies get to keep him. I've never seen a player go from High School to Juniors to College to the WJC in a year like he has. He plays like he has ice in his veins, nothing rattles him. If he does end up out of position his skating gets him back in. Will he make mistakes? Sure. Every player does at this level...but he has proven he belongs and for those who have watched him consistently...it's no big shock that he is where he is right now.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I guess it depends on how you define it. Remember the age comparison between the leagues is a relative thing. As you say there are 17 year olds in the CHL but no 22 year olds either. It may be that the CHL overall plays a more physical game because it may be more based on the pro game. Being physical in hockey doesn't just mean slamming someone into the boards.

No, there is no logical argument to compare the 2. NCAA is a much, much more physical game and it's not close whatsoever. It also bothers me to see how people think the competition in the CHL is better than NCAA, but thats another debate in it's own.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
I cant wait for you to see eansor play so you can [eat crow]. of course he isnt there for his offense, he is that good in the other aspects he is worth having around on a bottom line

Ease up on the hostility. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. Juxtaposer is right, Keller should be on this team, certainly over Eansor. Doesn't mean Eansor is a bad player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Borgen ( and Belpedio ) play in the toughest conference in NCAA. Are you trying to say that NCHC has no skill ? There are plenty of skilled NHL draft picks that he's played against this season and handled himself well, 2 just so happen to be on this team.

He will be fine. Lack of International experience is only problem. He will get more comfortable and better every game.

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
Borgen ( and Belpedio ) play in the toughest conference in NCAA. Are you trying to say that NCHC has no skill ? There are plenty of skilled NHL draft picks that he's played against this season and handled himself well, 2 just so happen to be on this team.

He will be fine. Lack of International experience is only problem. He will get more comfortable and better every game.

Lol ya I don't have a kid I just like watching the juniors. I'm speaking my mind on what I saw...Collins did not look very good at all out there and really don't feel sorry him. And no I'm not saying that conference has no skill...however this tournament is a different ball game..sure he may play against a team with a few elite guys but now he'll be matched up against teams with 12 highly skilled forwards.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
Lol ya I don't have a kid I just like watching the juniors. I'm speaking my mind on what I saw...Collins did not look very good at all out there and really don't feel sorry him. And no I'm not saying that conference has no skill...however this tournament is a different ball game..sure he may play against a team with a few elite guys but now he'll be matched up against teams with 12 highly skilled forwards.
That means Collins is either worse than last year, Borgen is an upgrade, or both.

I'm going to give Borgen the benefit of the doubt and assume he'll do good unless he proves otherwise. His pre-tournament performance has been fine. I really do believe the armchair crowd is a bit too hung-up on pedigree.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

People keep saying that everytime he jumps a level and it hasn't happened yet. SCSU's coaches were worried about bringing him in without a full year of juniors and he's been outstanding. The head coach has been quoted as saying he's gone from worrying about how he'd do to worrying about how long the Huskies get to keep him. I've never seen a player go from High School to Juniors to College to the WJC in a year like he has. He plays like he has ice in his veins, nothing rattles him. If he does end up out of position his skating gets him back in. Will he make mistakes? Sure. Every player does at this level...but he has proven he belongs and for those who have watched him consistently...it's no big shock that he is where he is right now.

You didn't even see Team USA's exhibition games. Collins sucks, but it's not because you witnessed it.
Yeah, I mean what could you even base that on re: exhibitions? Laine finding a soft spot in the second exhibition game? That was Borgen's only minus in these exhibitions. Plus, if you want to overanalyze that GA, Borgen cleared the zone just fine to Boesser, who didn't get the puck deep and instead Finland quickly went d-to-d and re-entered the zone with Puljujarvi in on the forecheck as F1 vs his d-partner in a battle and Aho as F2 to create the Laine goal.

I hate to make the point for him, but I suppose there's some truth to minuses when going up against top pairwise teams though, as Borgen's only had four minus games at SCSU, and IIRC, NoDak's top line/pair was two of those, Quinnipiac's Anas line was another, and a UNO blowout was the other. Still, he was only -3 overall in those 6 GP, which isn't surprising when you consider offense isn't his game (yet, hopefully). That's defensive aggressiveness and simple/quick puck-moving with solid agility.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
As a Gopher fan, I breathed a sigh of relief when Collins was cut. I was not looking forward to seeing him getting rightfully ripped on throughout the tournament.

I can't believe Borgen is the d-man people seem to be worried about in this group. I have a lot more confidence in him than McAvoy, Krys, or Fortunato.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
As a Gopher fan, I breathed a sigh of relief when Collins was cut. I was not looking forward to seeing him getting rightfully ripped on throughout the tournament.

I can't believe Borgen is the d-man people seem to be worried about in this group. I have a lot more confidence in him than McAvoy, Krys, or Fortunato.
Amen. No ****ing ****.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
tk3adjJ.gif

pavelich

Jul 16, 2009
Ease up on the hostility. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. Juxtaposer is right, Keller should be on this team, certainly over Eansor. Doesn't mean Eansor is a bad player.

Keller looks to be a great prospect but there's no way a 17 yo was making this team in a depth forward role over 19 yos with over a year of NCAA or CHL experience. Even Eichel and Matthews didn't exactly tear it up in this tournament at 17.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I cant wait for you to see eansor play so you can [eat crow]. of course he isnt there for his offense, he is that good in the other aspects he is worth having around on a bottom line

Sorry if I don't think a 5'9" undrafted 19 year old who can't put up a PPG in the WHL shouldn't be on this team. I don't give a crap that he has good fourth line tools. He's not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad