WJC: 2016 — USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

Awesome highlight package for Brock, I expect he has a good tourny, but he is pretty young, I think the year after he will be a impact player on the 1st 2 lines imo

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I always slightly distrust highlight packages but, that being said, dang that was impressive!

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
How much better is Mathews than Dvorak? Dvorak has been a beast this year and is older than Mathews. I'm thinking he might be the key guy that doesn't get much press.

Matthews should be better, but I agree with you that Dvorak is really flying under the radar. I'm not sure why there hasn't been more discussion about him in this thread, probably because he was drafted by Arizona.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this team has talent, but I just don't think we are going to medal. Really don't like how the fringe players of this roster were chosen, and I feel like the 2nd defensive pair is a big liability.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Matthews should be better, but I agree with you that Dvorak is really flying under the radar. I'm not sure why there hasn't been more discussion about him in this thread, probably because he was drafted by Arizona.

These tournaments are often made to be about the next draft class and then expectedly are won by the already drafted ones. A guy drafted in 2014 is way ahead in development of a guy going to be drafted next year. As he should be. Last year previously drafted Reinhart, Domi and Duclair were unstoppable. This top line of future draft picks...it's probably not going to have the same result unless they trot back out there another year under their belt. The difference between 19 year olds and 17 year olds is significant.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Our defense looks really weak. Werenski better play a ton

Carlo is pretty good, as is the third pair of Krys-McAvoy for that type of role. I don't trust non-elite draft-eligibles to give us more than a bottom pairing role. The problem is the second pair. It contains a player who's probably a third pair defenseman at this level, at best and a guy who doesn't belong on the team, at all.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Can't believe he dropped to 23rd. If we redo the draft, you think he goes top 10?

I would absolutely take the following over him:

McDavid
Eichel
Strome
Marner
Hanifin
Provorov
Werenski
Rantanen
Barzal
Connor
Konecny
Zacha
White
Meier

I would take all of them above Boeser still, at least.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013

Awesome highlight package for Brock, I expect he has a good tourny, but he is pretty young, I think the year after he will be a impact player on the 1st 2 lines imo

I want to see him in the A next year.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Carlo is pretty good, as is the third pair of Krys-McAvoy for that type of role. I don't trust non-elite draft-eligibles to give us more than a bottom pairing role. The problem is the second pair. It contains a player who's probably a third pair defenseman at this level, at best and a guy who doesn't belong on the team, at all.

Yeah Carlo is fine, but other than those two I am not impressed. Especially with Collins, who isn't a very good player

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Who doesn't belong on the team from that second pair?

Is it the top 4 two-way physical presence Borgen, who is on one of the best teams in the nation and one of the oldest bluelines to compete with..

or...

Belpedio who is the #1 man on a very shallow Miami-Ohio team who plays in all situations?

Last edited:

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Surprised no one has mentioned they won the scrimmage vs. Finland 3-2 today.

Goals from Dvorak, DeBrincat and Milano.

Edit: Never mind, just realized there was a GDT.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who doesn't belong on the team from that second pair?

Is it the top 4 two-way physical presence Borgen, who is on one of the best teams in the nation and one of the oldest bluelines to compete with..

or...

Belpedio who is the #1 man on a very shallow Miami-Ohio team who plays in all situations?

This isn't college hockey, its a much higher level. I don't think Borgen should've been on the team at all, and I don't think Belpedio is a 2nd pair defenseman at this level. Thats not to say they aren't good prospects, just that I don't think either really should be playing big roles for this team.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This isn't college hockey, its a much higher level. I don't think Borgen should've been on the team at all, and I don't think Belpedio is a 2nd pair defenseman at this level. Thats not to say they aren't good prospects, just that I don't think either really should be playing big roles for this team.

that's not what I asked. You said one of those two do not belong on this team, I am asking who?

and who should be on the team over whichever one you are suggesting?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
that's not what I asked. You said one of those two do not belong on this team, I am asking who?

and who should be on the team over whichever one you are suggesting?

One of them is playing for the Hurricanes, the other was ruled ineligible to play for us.

I don't really fault the coaches, just saying that I don't think those two are good enough to play the roles that they are playing for a team that thinks they can win the tournament.

Castrophy

Feb 26, 2015
Oswego, NY
I think you are not giving NCAA hockey enough credit. While there is no doubt the CHL has way more skill and talent then the NCAA, the game is played completely differently. The NCAA is much more physical and overall has older players who are more physically developed. I think the experience of playing college hockey will bring some much needed grit and physicality to this Young USA squad. While arguments can be made that USA Hockey should have brought different d-men to camp I can't think of anyone who was excluded that is clearly better then Belpedio or Borgen.

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
I think you are not giving NCAA hockey enough credit. While there is no doubt the CHL has way more skill and talent then the NCAA, the game is played completely differently. The NCAA is much more physical and overall has older players who are more physically developed. I think the experience of playing college hockey will bring some much needed grit and physicality to this Young USA squad. While arguments can be made that USA Hockey should have brought different d-men to camp I can't think of anyone who was excluded that is clearly better then Belpedio or Borgen.

The NCAA is not more physical ...have you ever heard of the WHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad