WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
It's odd seeing a Canadian hate their best player. I'm not sure I'll ever understand this kind of mentality. TSN flat out said that Strome has been Canada's best player, but you don't want him back?

Hilarious.

And I'm suppose to buy that line because why? b/c TSN says say so? I have my own opinion and it differs from the boys at TSN. And no, just like after the 2014 tournament when I said the same thing about Bo Horvat...don't really care if he's back for the 2015 tournament... I'll say the same thing about Strome for 2017. but hey, if Strome has a dominant performance tomorrow with 4 pts. 2 goals and 2 helpers leading Canada to the W. then boy, will I look stupid. wouldn't that be great.

And besides, even if you buy TSN's storyline, considering how the team is playing, it's really not that much of a compliment.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
My beef with Marner is that he is holding onto the puck way too long trying moves that he does in Jr.

Canada...as a whole...is not using crisp passing and skating to create chances. Too many guys are trying their OWN rushes in an attempt to make something happen instead of using their teammates.

The coach has created a "me" attitude in a tournament that has always been about checking your ego at the door. Seriously, 3 minute shifts ON PURPOSE? Dumb.

agree with all this here

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
I think you are nailing this comparison; and I do think Marner's lack of hockey sense will cause him to struggle in the NHL like Drouin has. There are small skilled guys like Kane/Gaudreau that have all the moves but also think the game 3 steps ahead and they are the ones that can succeed; if you don't have the hockey sense to go with it, the moves won't work in the NHL.
lmfao
Uy5YqG2.png

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I think you are nailing this comparison; and I do think Marner's lack of hockey sense will cause him to struggle in the NHL like Drouin has. There are small skilled guys like Kane/Gaudreau that have all the moves but also think the game 3 steps ahead and they are the ones that can succeed; if you don't have the hockey sense to go with it, the moves won't work in the NHL.

Marners hockey sense is one of his best assets...... Also he plays good defence and is always ahead of the game really don't know what you're saying here

Only similarity between marner and drouin is their size

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The two biggest issues I have with this team are;

1. Poor coaching. He hasn't adapted to lines that don't work and the PK has been awful. It seems like the patients run the asylum.

2. Goaltending has been average to subpar. In the past championship teams that Canada has brought to the tournament have had goalies that don't lose the easy games and rise up to win the tough ones. Blackwood and MacDonald aren't of that calibre.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I will accept bronze over no medal for the team we have this year. It's about managing expectations. This team is not very good compared to other teams we have sent.

This does not change my nationalist pride in believing we are the best hockey nation, it should not be construed that I am happy with a bronze is the ultimate goal.

But given the past 4 games we have witnessed, for this team. Beating Finland in the 1/4's it does seem a reasonable expectation this year.

My expectations and what I accept are different things. I expect that this team will lose soon. That is not acceptable though. Until some country passes Canada, which hasn't happened yet, I won't accept less than gold.

Marner won't have problems unless he ends up with Cooper as his coach. Cooper is the only thing holding Drouin back.

champs*

Marner playing is 170 lbs heart out at both ends of the rink and is the only Canadian threat every shift!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
that is a pretty dumb move by marner

Since it's been over 24 hours, I assume nothing is going to come from it. Hockey continues to be a joke with wildly different standards for depth players compared to star players.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad