WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Strome has been fine this year, and he'll be a year older and playing on smaller ice next year. I think he'll be in Arizona though given his size and the Coyotes' recent success with young players. Stephens has been good this year, I can't imagine why he wouldn't be back and very valuable next year.

Those games were valuable opportunities to find chemistry. Best to play the top players to find chemistry and try out the complimentary players in complimentary roles instead of prominent roles. Dubois would be nice as a guy who can contribute defensively while hanging with elite players (like he does with Lazarev and Svechnikov) but he certainly isn't the difference between winning and losing.

I liked seeing someone with some passion. Hopefully some of them can express it on the ice like Konecny does though.

I don't think he's been fine at all. quite underwhelming actually...and I'll be quite happy if he sticks the entire year in Arizona next year. I wouldn't automatically assume a significant improvement next year based solely on being a year older.

Very disappointing tournament...starting with coach. Hope HC can dig up something better for next year.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Canada lines at practice:

Crouse-Strome-Virtanen
Perlini-Point-Marner
Beauvillier-Barzal-Gauthier
Quenneville-Stephens-Konecny
Chartier

WTF... Is it just me or do those lines look like ****?

Konecny really deserves a shot in the top 6 IMO, I also wouldn't mind seeing Strome and Marner linked up again with either Crouse or Konecny on the wing.

I wouldnt mind a Strome, Marner and Konecny line. Strome sounded confident in his post game interview. I think he'll be buzzing tmw. Hopefully Marner can build off yesterdays game if he doesnt get suspended.

And I agree, those lines are ****. Point should be our 13th forward. He's no good to anyone while he's injured.

carlweezer*

Agreed and its not an age thing either, nobody is saying "**** it, this is my team" and taking the team on their shoulders. It should be Point, Virtanen, and Crouse as returning player, but they are not doing it.

Point and JV are decimated w. Injuries. Crouse is out of his element being in a scoring line.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
At this stage I think Lowry could put his line combo into a blender and it would not make a difference. This Team Canada in truth is a far cry from the one we iced last year in Canada. We should be realistic. A bronze medal would be a tremendous achievement for this team.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
As a Finn I like that Lowry makes these dumb decisions with lineups because it helps our chances to beat Canada. But as a hockey fan I hate it because I have attended Canada's games and I like NA hockey in general. If I would be the coach I would put the lines like this.

Beuvillier-Strome-Marner
Crouse-Barzal-Gauthier
Chartier-Stephens-Konecny (Shutdown line against Pulju-Aho-Laine)
Quenneville-Point-Virtanen
Perlini

At least this would definitely be better than Lowry's lines.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think he's been fine at all. quite underwhelming actually...and I'll be quite happy if he sticks the entire year in Arizona next year. I wouldn't automatically assume a significant improvement next year based solely on being a year older.

Very disappointing tournament...starting with coach. Hope HC can dig up something better for next year.

He was good in three out of the four games. Given the Lowry handicap that is good.

At this stage I think Lowry could put his line combo into a blender and it would not make a difference. This Team Canada in truth is a far cry from the one we iced last year in Canada. We should be realistic. A bronze medal would be a tremendous achievement for this team.

Playing like crap doesn't make bronze acceptable.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Strome has been fine this year, and he'll be a year older and playing on smaller ice next year. I think he'll be in Arizona though given his size and the Coyotes' recent success with young players. Stephens has been good this year, I can't imagine why he wouldn't be back and very valuable next year.

I agree. Stephens' play has been impressive. With his size, speed and aggressiveness he projects better at the pro level than many of the his higher profiled Team Canada teammates. If I'm coaching, I'd have Stephens on the ice every time the top Finnish line is on. When he's on the ice, you have to be aware of where he is. That slight hesitation, makes a world of difference. You saw that intimidation factor in the second period of the Swedish game, when the flow of play went in Canada's favour once the hitting started. Controlled aggression, works against any team. All you have to do is remember those successful Canadian teams that started every game with an onslaught of heavy checks in all areas of the ice. The current team Canada is not a particularly large team. But if it is to have any success, it will have to punch above its weight. Controlled aggression. It will be infectious. It's hard to play hockey when you know you're going to be hit. And hit often.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He was good in three out of the four games. Given the Lowry handicap that is good.

Playing like crap doesn't make bronze acceptable.

I don't think this team is that good is what I am saying. Really if we have not seen it after 4 games, we probably won't see it later on. This team needed a shootout to beat the Swiss. Maybe this team in reality was only capable of winning a bronze?

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
Agreed.

With the amount of ice time that Virtanen and Marner get, their production had been disappointing.

Marner is a top offensive forward prospect and he's leading Chabot by one whopping point.

True but maybe if some of these guys could actually score on the multiple chances Marner has given them the points would be there:nod:

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Well the good news is that with the possible exception of Strome all of the under agers will be back next year ( 8 in total).

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
True but maybe if some of these guys could actually score on the multiple chances Marner has given them the points would be there:nod:

You can't possibly be saying that Marner is playing well? The similarities between him and Drouin a few years ago are eerily similar.

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
Happy new year to all!!!!

Last year the tournament was held in montreal/toronto and there was a coach from the Q. This year it was in finland and the coach was from the west. Next year the tournament is held in toronto/montreal so my guess the coach will be from ontario.

I hope the coach they pick is a good one

Lowry== spott== pure garbage and their name will be soiled forever

Too bad

Dale Hunter PLEASE..........:yo:

carlweezer*

We can have Gretzky Lemuix and Sakic in their prime as our top line but with this defence ,.goalies and coaching system we would still be in trouble.

It's so obvious to see that Finalnd Russia and Sweden have surpassed Canada as a prime nation who pumps out goalie prospects year In and year out.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This years core is not as good as last years. It's as simple as this.

Last year we had a core of Reinhart, Mcdavid, Domi, Lazar, Petan, Duclair, with a solid backline of Theodore Nurse, Bowey and Morrisey achoring the blueline. And it took us all we had to beat the Russians in the Final Gold medal game.

This year we depended on a core of Point, Strome, Marner, Virtanen, Crouse and Hicketts as our best players.

This team is badly outgunned this year. Maybe next year is the year for us. A year's experience under their belt. But when you compare rosters of the 2 teams. In retrospect, I don't think we should be surprised this was going to be a year it would be tough to medal.

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
You can't possibly be saying that Marner is playing well? The similarities between him and Drouin a few years ago are eerily similar.

The whole team is not playing well, at least he plays both ends of the rink. A couple of years from now you won't be comparing the two

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Launch off the skates straight to his jaw? Nothing to love in that except that the kid didn't leave the game.

That is Torres school of hockey....

That's your opinion i respect for Canadians and their hockey so i don't start arguing with that hit.
Maybe Marner deserves suspension maybe not those are difficult decisions for refs.

Did refs even call penalty for Marner that hit?.
To me that hit is so clean than it can be but that's my opinion.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Can Hicketts get injured in pratice or eat some nasty stufff???

He's beyong awful. Poor Chabot has to cover this cluelesss defender:(

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The whole team is not playing well, at least he plays both ends of the rink. A couple of years from now you won't be comparing the two

I'm not saying Marner will struggle at the NHL level like Drouin has. I have no idea. I'm more saying they both played the same tournament. Both were expected to be offensive leaders for the team. Both ended up being turnover machines. Both hold onto the puck way too long at this level. Both look flashy but the production hasn't followed.

And this tournament has not been the defence or goalies fault at all. Our forwards haven't sustained any pressure or created any sustained pressure. Our defence has been solid. Our goalies haven't had much of a chance on the vast majority of goals. Our forwards need to keep the puck in the other teams zone, but right now all the forwards completely suck.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Launch off the skates straight to his jaw? Nothing to love in that except that the kid didn't leave the game.

That is Torres school of hockey....

The only problem I have with the Marner hit is he left his feet. My stance is consistent with the Egli hit, the player should share responsibility of being more aware in the neutral zone when they have the puck. The only difference here is the Swedish player was not hurt. If he had, then I believe the IIHF would levy a suspension. This would seem to be their norm. Player hurt, player suspended.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I haven't watched any of the post game interviews, especially Strome. I'm afraid a coffee mug just may get tossed at the TV.

It's odd seeing a Canadian hate their best player. I'm not sure I'll ever understand this kind of mentality. TSN flat out said that Strome has been Canada's best player, but you don't want him back?

Hilarious.

carlweezer*

I believe Marner would be suspended if this wasn't a Quarterfinal game and or if the player stayed on the ice and was hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->