2015 WHL Bantam Draft

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Just watched game 1 peewee provincial finals

I've been scouting most of southern Manitoba and all of Saskatchewan and in Saskatchewan, I've been most impressed with Taphorn brothers, Perpeluk and Miller in Yorkton, but their success is in part because they are a strong team in a weak league.

In Manitoba, Rylan Bettens from the Winnipeg Warriors has really impressed. Saw him at the Bantam Showcase earlier in the year and I thought he was one of the top players and have had a chance to see him play 5 or 6 times since. Still scoring lots of goals, but seems to be faster and better away from the puck than in previous years.

Riley Stotts was hurt early on and Caiden Daley seems to be pulling back to the pack. Woo is still a top dman and Chenier, Cusack and Myrowich should still be considered for the top 1-3 rounds of upcoming Bantam draft.

Haven't yet been able to see Addison from Brandon play this year.
Between moosomin and Watrous. Their is this one kid for mooomin, and he sticks out like a sore thumb,best player on the ice by a country mile. Jay mccool. Don't have a program and the sound system in Watrous is bad.pretty sure that's the correct name. He seems to have a high hockey iq. He killed a pp, just took the puck went this way, then that way, led an attack. Boom penalty over.

He likely is heavily scouted but for whatever reason if he is not, he could be a diamond in the rough.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Minnesota possibles

K'Andre Miller *
Jaxon Nelson *
Devlin McCabe *
Ben Brinkman *
Grant Sillanoff
Gavin Hain *
Ben Helgeson*
Brady Meyer *
Landon Langenbrunner *
Max Jennrich
Jack Perbix
Brendan McFadden
Ben Doherty
Jack Jenson
Nick Strom*
Luke Mountain
Jake Sibbel
Blake McLaughlin*
Brady Ziemer
Conner Bizal ?

These are a few notables from the long talked about Minnesota 00' kids. How many go this path is the big question.

Attended all but two games at the CCM 15's Festival and these* players stood out to me. Conner Bizal didn't make his district team which left many puzzled.

Strong showing from northern Minnesota.

thething

Jul 28, 2014
Barely any talk of this year's draft as it quickly approaches.

I've heard there are similarities to the 09 draft in that d prospects will be going high in the draft.

PurplePuckPerson

Sep 21, 2009
Between moosomin and Watrous. Their is this one kid for mooomin, and he sticks out like a sore thumb,best player on the ice by a country mile. Jay mccool. Don't have a program and the sound system in Watrous is bad.pretty sure that's the correct name. He seems to have a high hockey iq. He killed a pp, just took the puck went this way, then that way, led an attack. Boom penalty over.

He likely is heavily scouted but for whatever reason if he is not, he could be a diamond in the rough.

His name is Jake Poole but having watched him play hockey the last several years your name is pretty accurate as well!

R S

Sep 18, 2006
First round talents to watch from SK include the names Focht, Fonstad, McGauley (Tim's brother), Miller, and the Taphorn twins.

Some pretty good high-end talent from this part of the west this year.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think Manitoba is going to dominate the 1st round

Addison,Stotts,Woo,Daley,Morriseau,Bettens,Chenier,Coppinger,Cusack,Esposito lots of guys could go in the 1st

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Attended all but two games at the CCM 15's Festival and these* players stood out to me. Conner Bizal didn't make his district team which left many puzzled.

Strong showing from northern Minnesota.

Sounding like it could be a big year for Minnesotan's in the draft since most of the players I noticed* are actually known to have a strong interest in this route.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Is Tyler Popowich any good, or did Vancouver only draft him because he's local? (That may seem like a dumb question, but the Giants scouting staff are... incompetent? There's probably a stronger word that would best describe them.)

Last edited:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Is Tyler Popowich any good, or did Vancouver only draft him because he's local? (That may seem like a dumb question, but the Giants scouting staff are... incompetent? There's probably a stronger word that would best describe them.)

He was the 3rd ranked player by WEHP so it's not just the Giants who had him rated in that range.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
How was this draft in terms of overall talent?

That Luka Burzan numbers really pop out. Can anyone give me the low down on him?

thething

Jul 28, 2014
How was this draft in terms of overall talent?

That Luka Burzan numbers really pop out. Can anyone give me the low down on him?

That's something I'd like to know as well. After the top few guys were selected, much of the first round I knew little about.

I would think it's better than the 2014 draft though. I'm sure Ty Smith would've been the first player picked last year as well.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
That's something I'd like to know as well. After the top few guys were selected, much of the first round I knew little about.

I would think it's better than the 2014 draft though. I'm sure Ty Smith would've been the first player picked last year as well.

He probably would have been, I think this years draft is top heavy and it gets weaker after the first 10 picks or so.

Next year is supposed to be a strong draft year

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Can anyone give me a quick scouting report on Ty Smith ? He was the consensus #1 and I knew Spokane was going to take him but I'd like to hear more. From what I've heard he has pretty high hockey IQ. Is that true and also how is his defensive play ?

Chiefs are going to be pretty bad next year but I'm starting to feel a little bit optimistic about 2016 and on.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Can anyone give me a quick scouting report on Ty Smith ? He was the consensus #1 and I knew Spokane was going to take him but I'd like to hear more. From what I've heard he has pretty high hockey IQ. Is that true and also how is his defensive play ?

Chiefs are going to be pretty bad next year but I'm starting to feel a little bit optimistic about 2016 and on.

a PERFECT player to build around. One of the smartest bantam players I have ever seen play. If you have a chance to see him play, or if you can watch the Spokane camp in August, i suggest you go watch. He controls the play of the game every shift he plays. Smart with the puck, good shot, kills penalties, strong defensively, will be a top QB on the PP in the WHL by the time hes 18 and is a treat to watch. Not aggressive but isnt soft either. He will go into the corners and take a hit if need be but will always come out with the puck. He is rather slight right now but hopefully will add more weight and muscle. No doubt in my mind he will be one of the top 16 year olds in the league when he plays.

synobyte

Canucks Cultist
Mar 23, 2007
100 mile house
i wish these kids would be eligible to play next season...they really need to change the drafting age in the WHL that being said i hope Popowich and Benson dominate for the Giants soon..

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
a PERFECT player to build around. One of the smartest bantam players I have ever seen play. If you have a chance to see him play, or if you can watch the Spokane camp in August, i suggest you go watch. He controls the play of the game every shift he plays. Smart with the puck, good shot, kills penalties, strong defensively, will be a top QB on the PP in the WHL by the time hes 18 and is a treat to watch. Not aggressive but isnt soft either. He will go into the corners and take a hit if need be but will always come out with the puck. He is rather slight right now but hopefully will add more weight and muscle. No doubt in my mind he will be one of the top 16 year olds in the league when he plays.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. The Chiefs usually have a prospect exhibition game in the summer so I'm excited to check him out. I think he can play in the preseason games too but I'm not sure of the rules on that.

Thank you so much Saskatoon :D

R S

Sep 18, 2006
FWIW I've seen/heard Smith's game being compared to Morgan Rielly's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad