2015 WHL Bantam Draft

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Hey guys, so I was just wondering what you guys think are the top guys coming into the year for the Bantam Draft, i'll be scouting the BC region throughout the entire season.

Names I've Heard (BC Alone):
Luka Burzan - NSWC
Jackson Sheppard - NSWC
Iiljah Colina - BWC
Ty Smith - Delta Prep
Jackson Leppard - NSWC

PS: Anyone who knows where I can find rosters for bantam teams message me.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Most bantam rosters won't be ready yet. Tryouts are just starting for pretty much all teams. Winnipeg rosters won't be ready till the end of the month.

Some guys from Winnipeg to watch out for

Jett Woo - Warriors
Ryley Bettens - Warriors
Caden Daley - Warriors
Ryley Stotts - Monarchs

M65

Oct 20, 2014
Most bantam rosters won't be ready yet. Tryouts are just starting for pretty much all teams. Winnipeg rosters won't be ready till the end of the month.

Some guys from Winnipeg to watch out for

Jett Woo - Warriors
Ryley Bettens - Warriors
Caden Daley - Warriors
Ryley Stotts - Monarchs

Told that Layne Toder in Yellowhead is also someone to look out for. I guess he has an incredible work ethic. Saw that he only had 5 points in 32 games last season, but Yellowhead has improved and he is a year older. We shall see.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Couple of more guys in Winnipeg that I think have a shot at 1st/2nd round

Cedric Chenier - Monarchs
Jacy Kennedy - Hawks
Mathew Myrowich - Sharks

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Minnesota possibles

K'Andre Miller
Jaxon Nelson
Devlin McCabe
Ben Brinkman
Grant Sillanoff
Gavin Hain
Ben Helgeson
Brady Meyer
Landon Langenbrunner
Max Jennrich
Jack Perbix
Brendan McFadden
Ben Doherty
Jack Jenson
Nick Strom
Luke Mountain
Jake Sibbel
Blake McLaughlin
Brady Ziemer
Conner Bizal

These are a few notables from the long talked about Minnesota 00' kids. How many go this path is the big question.

WesternScout22

Nov 13, 2014
Manitoba and Saskatchewan

I've been scouting most of southern Manitoba and all of Saskatchewan and in Saskatchewan, I've been most impressed with Taphorn brothers, Perpeluk and Miller in Yorkton, but their success is in part because they are a strong team in a weak league.

In Manitoba, Rylan Bettens from the Winnipeg Warriors has really impressed. Saw him at the Bantam Showcase earlier in the year and I thought he was one of the top players and have had a chance to see him play 5 or 6 times since. Still scoring lots of goals, but seems to be faster and better away from the puck than in previous years.

Riley Stotts was hurt early on and Caiden Daley seems to be pulling back to the pack. Woo is still a top dman and Chenier, Cusack and Myrowich should still be considered for the top 1-3 rounds of upcoming Bantam draft.

Haven't yet been able to see Addison from Brandon play this year.

Last edited:

Champion39

Apr 2, 2012
Alberta
Hey guys, so I was just wondering what you guys think are the top guys coming into the year for the Bantam Draft, i'll be scouting the BC region throughout the entire season.

Names I've Heard (BC Alone):
Luka Burzan - NSWC
Jackson Sheppard - NSWC
Iiljah Colina - BWC
Ty Smith - Delta Prep
Jackson Leppard - NSWC

PS: Anyone who knows where I can find rosters for bantam teams message me.

Hearing some good things about Mike Farren, I think he was at OHA last year?

PowerHourIce

Nov 17, 2014
OHA yes...

But not OHA BAAA, he was BAA. As for the team hes on now, they didn't do great in Med Hat and will need to step it up in an OK KIBIHT tourney.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Joe Sakic's son Chase is eligible and I heard he's a decent player.

unfortunately he's not a decent player. One of the weaker players on the team and extremely tiny. Hate saying it but he wouldnt be on the team if his last name wasnt Sakic. However, watch Kelowna draft him in the 12th round just cause and he become a stud haha... seems to always work out for the Rockets

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Serious question. Does this draft even matter? Look at the Rockets, drafting low every year, often not even 1st round picks and always have great underagers. Take the top 100~, roll the dice and develop. Think of yourselves between 14~ and 16~ the difference is huge. What, 3 or 4 #1s have turned out even above average in the last 20 years? This draft is a joke IMO.

BaseHockey

Jan 8, 2013
Serious question. Does this draft even matter? Look at the Rockets, drafting low every year, often not even 1st round picks and always have great underagers. Take the top 100~, roll the dice and develop. Think of yourselves between 14~ and 16~ the difference is huge. What, 3 or 4 #1s have turned out even above average in the last 20 years? This draft is a joke IMO.

You are very much correct, WHL tries to get players before the NCAA does. Too bad they draft players that some do not sign, Some put all the cards in one coach who gets fired.
If they changed the draft to Midget it would help. IMO USHL is doing it right. They have the NAHL as a very strong feeder program. Plus they have lots on money.

WHL is watered down its too much of a jump from MML to WHL. BCHL works but these kids are going the school way to the USA for NCAA. or am I wrong.

RickyBobby2025

Dec 19, 2014
First post so be kind.

Do scouts look at just AAA programs/players or do that also look at AA programs/players?

Thanks

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
First post so be kind.

Do scouts look at just AAA programs/players or do that also look at AA programs/players?

Thanks

AAA programs/players are easy to see and every scout sees them and knows the players like the back of their hand by the end of the year. Regional scouts watch AA players always. Every scout wants to find unknown players in small towns. Helps the WHL club down the road and it makes that particular scout that found the small town player look good;)

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
You are very much correct, WHL tries to get players before the NCAA does. Too bad they draft players that some do not sign, Some put all the cards in one coach who gets fired.
If they changed the draft to Midget it would help. IMO USHL is doing it right. They have the NAHL as a very strong feeder program. Plus they have lots on money.

WHL is watered down its too much of a jump from MML to WHL. BCHL works but these kids are going the school way to the USA for NCAA. or am I wrong.

I too would like to see a Midget draft instead of a bantam draft, especially now that it's second year players as opposed to first-years like it was years ago. Would it not be more beneficial to see how 15 year olds play against 16 and 17 year olds as opposed to 14 year olds playing against 13 year olds before drafting them?

You're right about the BCHL, it's definitely geared towards those trying for a scholarship. Was talking to an employee of one BCHL team who said that some of the teams won't bother with players who want to jump to the WHL, so it can create that gap from Major Midget and the WHL. The BCHL is also not an official partner of the MML, so take that for what you will.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I would like them to go to a midget draft but they would need to make a valid Minor Midget league across western Canada and come up with a unified leagues with proper balance so we can stop having the same power houses year after year.

Don't think we will ever see it though as community clubs won't like losing there power. Its a shame really because it is making hockey more and more a rich persons game and you are losing a lot of kids because of cost

Offshore Oil

Jul 7, 2007
I would like them to go to a midget draft but they would need to make a valid Minor Midget league across western Canada and come up with a unified leagues with proper balance so we can stop having the same power houses year after year.

Don't think we will ever see it though as community clubs won't like losing there power. Its a shame really because it is making hockey more and more a rich persons game and you are losing a lot of kids because of cost

Or change Bantam to a 3 year program, as is being considered at Hockey Canada...

The developmental range of players between 11 and 17 years old is so vast that there will be no perfect age / level at which to identify talent. IMO better to have kids drafted to CHL at 16 than 15.

Nhl Nhl

Mar 1, 2015
Wpg Hawks F Riley Johnson;

Wpg Hawks D Jalen Richard;

Wpg Monarchs F Riley Stotts;

Wpg Warriors D Jett Woo;

Wpg Warriors F Caiden Daley;

Wpg Hawks F Jacy Kennedy;

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad