OT: 2015 Redskins Part V: Code Burgundy (3-4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
They got in a big hole quickly. That usually means the running game takes a back seat. Maybe they couldn't run anyway but an effective run attack sometimes takes much of the game to develop as you wear down the defense.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Even though that was a game many had penciled in the should win category,that was a big win and should do a little something for the teams confidence in Kirk.

Not expecting a win vs The Pats at all but I do hope Kirk and the team get a good look at the team lining up opposite them. I feel like the Skins and Pats can run some similar concepts ESP that huge mismatch tight end over the middle. When the Skins get to spread it out a bit Cousins has that little bit of Brady in him to run a productive offense. Of course he's still got miles to go and the rest of the team as well.

Guess what I'm saying is Cousins is looking ready to handle more responsibility out there.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Guess what I'm saying is Cousins is looking ready to handle more responsibility out there.

This is an important point. When the Skins were aggressive in their playing calling yesterday, they had to be because they were down 24 points, Cousins got in a rhythm and the offense moved the ball. The offense couldn't be stopped. That was also the case against Philly on that last drive to win, and in ATL to get in a position to tie to force OT and in OT before the turf monster got Grant.

Gruden needs to put the game in Cousins hands more, and earlier, in games. And he also needs to find a way to incorporate the running game in that aggressive short passing attack that Cousins runs so well. The problem with that is that short passing attack, or the west coast offense, needs a Roger Craig type RB to really succeed. Jones is the closest to a Craig type back on the team. Big RB that can run inside, but also has the moves and explosiveness to be a threat as a receiver out of the backfield.

So I hope Gruden takes the bye week to move to the offense we saw Cousins direct in that come back with, and also make the permanent move to Jones over Morris. I have no gripe with Morris, the kid is a baller, but just like Cousins, Jones is the best option at RB for Gruden's offense at this time.

Sep 19, 2008
Agreed as I said that was a huge part of the comeback. They usually have a very conservative offense because they don't want Kirk to mess up. They are so scared of him that they just try to mash the ball with minimal results. It worked at first but teams are keen now and will try to stop the run. So air it out. Not saying he should just Andrew luck it and throw where ever but simple slants over the middle... So easy

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Kerrigan is a huge loss

Broken hands don't usually keep pass rushers off the field too long. Also a chance for a young guy to step up. Kerrigan isn't old and we know he will return in top form. It will be nice to have a young Smith get those reps.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Time for Kerrigan to start trying to bat some balls around, with "the club hand" he will be sporting

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
When down 24-7 I figured, well hell, this is going nowhere. So I went with the wife when she took the dogs for a walk at the Bull Run battlefield. We had our usual laughs at Sonny's interjections on the radio. Got out, walked around a while, then got back in the car while doing our Sonny impressions. Turned on the radio to hear everyone celebrating the win right as the game ended.

:facepalm:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer

ASHBURN, Va. -- Washington Redskins linebacker Ryan Kerrigan underwent surgery on his right hand Monday, but the team remains hopeful that he won't miss a game.

One source said after the game Sunday that Kerrigan might not miss any time, thanks in part to the bye week. Gruden reiterated Monday that Kerrigan might return after the bye week for Washington's Nov. 8 game at New England.

But Kerrigan must visit the surgeon again next week to determine his chances of facing the Patriots. Kerrigan hasn't missed a game since entering the NFL in 2011.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-...surgery-bashaud-breelands-hamstring-a-concern

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
When down 24-7 I figured, well hell, this is going nowhere. So I went with the wife when she took the dogs for a walk at the Bull Run battlefield. We had our usual laughs at Sonny's interjections on the radio. Got out, walked around a while, then got back in the car while doing our Sonny impressions. Turned on the radio to hear everyone celebrating the win right as the game ended.

:facepalm:

I live in Bristow, not far from where you were. I go there occasionally too.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I caught the middle of Cooley's film break down of the offense yesterday and what I found interesting were his comments about the O-line. Specifically Long and LeRiebus. He didn't give individuals grades on the O-line but he did say Long is playing at a higher level now than Lauvao before Lauvao got hurt. Long should/would be the starter if Lauvao came back this season from his injury. And LeRiebus isn't at Lichty's level yet, but LeRiebus is a more than adequate replacement for Lichty at center. Scherff is solid at RG, and getting better. This was said after the ATL game, but Cooley thinks based on film that Moses is easily in the top 5 at RT when it comes to pass blocking and his run blocking is getting better every week. So it seems the Skins have a legit RT for the 1st time since Jansen's hay day.

Another interesting point Cooley made about the O-line is the struggles in the running game is more on the RB's than the O-line. That the O-line hasn't been perfect, but during the TB game, specifically, both Morris and Jones missed out on a lot of yards by the decisions they made, not the blocking of the O-line. Morris, for whatever reason, is being way to picky and indecisive when he runs into the line and Jones is always trying to cut back and break a long run wide instead of charging ahead and picking up an extra 3-4 yards after pressing the hole. Cooley said the running game is there, just that the O-line and RB's need to get on the same page.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Ruh-Roh!!!

Cousins is taking a page out of Griffin's play book. Or not. All proceeds go to something called the International Justice Mission. I might have to pick one of those up. :laugh:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I caught the middle of Cooley's film break down of the offense yesterday and what I found interesting were his comments about the O-line. Specifically Long and LeRiebus. He didn't give individuals grades on the O-line but he did say Long is playing at a higher level now than Lauvao before Lauvao got hurt. Long should/would be the starter if Lauvao came back this season from his injury. And LeRiebus isn't at Lichty's level yet, but LeRiebus is a more than adequate replacement for Lichty at center. Scherff is solid at RG, and getting better. This was said after the ATL game, but Cooley thinks based on film that Moses is easily in the top 5 at RT when it comes to pass blocking and his run blocking is getting better every week. So it seems the Skins have a legit RT for the 1st time since Jansen's hay day.

Another interesting point Cooley made about the O-line is the struggles in the running game is more on the RB's than the O-line. That the O-line hasn't been perfect, but during the TB game, specifically, both Morris and Jones missed out on a lot of yards by the decisions they made, not the blocking of the O-line. Morris, for whatever reason, is being way to picky and indecisive when he runs into the line and Jones is always trying to cut back and break a long run wide instead of charging ahead and picking up an extra 3-4 yards after pressing the hole. Cooley said the running game is there, just that the O-line and RB's need to get on the same page.

Good stuff, Hog. I was wondering why the running game is struggling so much when it looked to the eye that the OL was handling itself pretty well and has some added beef with Long over Lava and LeRibeye or Lich. Interesting that Morris is indecisive, I figured Callahan's one-cut system would be right up his alley.

Off-topic, and I know mock drafts don't mean anything, but Walter Football has the Redskins finishing 2nd in the NFCE and picking 18th. Also has the Ravens picking 1st overall. Really weird to see.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Good stuff, Hog. I was wondering why the running game is struggling so much when it looked to the eye that the OL was handling itself pretty well and has some added beef with Long over Lava and LeRibeye or Lich. Interesting that Morris is indecisive, I figured Callahan's one-cut system would be right up his alley.

Cooley doesn't understand Morris's indecisiveness either. Cooley said on one specific running play Morris saw the hole, went to cut back, changed his mind and went back towards the hole, than decided to cut back again. So something like 3 changes of direction before he even got to the line, then he was tackled for no gain.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Kirk Cousins named NFC Offensive Player of the Week

By Master Tesfatsion October 28 at 10:15 AM

Kirk Cousins was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week on Wednesday for his Week 7 performance against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. It’s the first time in his career Cousins has received the accolade after achieving the largest comeback victory in franchise history.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...usins-named-nfc-offensive-player-of-the-week/

1st time a Skins player has been named NFC Offensive Player of the Week since Morris got that honor after week 17 back in 2012.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think AlMo is in his own head right now. Not getting a ton of reps and he's got a guy on his heels. Breeds indecisiveness and self doubt IMO. He's gotta shake it off.

Sep 19, 2008
Good for Cousins but he looks bad away from home... I'm not sure he can play well against the Pats.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Pats are on a short week after a tough match vs the Jets. They're playing a Miami team that's kind of similar to the Skins in a few ways. Good pass-catching TE, run game potential, young WRs with a vet here and there, defense that should be better than it's shown, new-ish coaches on both sides, QB that gets blasted for inconsistency and accuracy at times but has been gangbusters others.

Miami tonight will probably have a better setup than the Skins, other than Brady and BB taking over the spotlight on a national/night game. If the Fins struggle I have a hard time thinking the Skins will do much better when Hoodie has a few extra days to prep.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Thing i like about the pats game is basically you have nothing to lose. (Kind of like the falcons game) everyone is picking you to lose, i dont know if anyone here would be so mad if they lost either. To me that makes me relax and play football with no stress. No stress may be a good thing. They may not beat the pats but it could be a little closer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad