OT: 2015 Redskins Part V: Code Burgundy (3-4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
After the insane press scrutiny to not let the typical 3rd quarter happen and lead a comeback...Maybe Cousins and Gruden get a weeks pass for this one?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I was morbidly hoping you were there, well done!

Thursday a buddy of mine said he had 2 tickets and a parking pass for sale in the 100 level. I figured it would of cost $400 all together with tickets, parking pass and food/booze and decided against it. Didn't think it would of been worth it. In hindsight $400 would of been a steal. Oh well. :(

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Thursday a buddy of mine said he had 2 tickets and a parking pass for sale in the 100 level. I figured it would of cost $400 all together with tickets, parking pass and food/booze and decided against it. Didn't think it would of been worth it. In hindsight $400 would of been a steal. Oh well. :(

Damn not a cheap afternoon.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
After the insane press scrutiny to not let the typical 3rd quarter happen and lead a comeback...Maybe Cousins and Gruden get a weeks pass for this one?

They'll certainly get a pass from me. I criticize when I feel something deserves to be criticized and I'll gladly give credit when it's due, especially if I'm wrong. I was very impressed with what I saw in the final 2.5 quarters from this team and that final drive couldn't have been much better.

On the negative side, is now not the time to worry about our inability to run the ball or stop the run? Too soon?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I like seeing Cousins pumped and getting in someone's face. About damn time.

OTOH, Cassels chuckin up picks left and right. I guess Cowboy agony is still sweet, and there's plenty of season left to catch the Giants (if that's still a possibility...dreaming)

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
On the negative side, is now not the time to worry about our inability to run the ball or stop the run? Too soon?

No its not to soon. They are legit issues. Hopefully the bye week will allow a number of players to get healthy which in turn will help both the running game (Jackson and Lichty) and the run defense (to many to name).

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
OTOH, Cassels chuckin up picks left and right. I guess Cowboy agony is still sweet, and there's plenty of season left to catch the Giants (if that's still a possibility...dreaming)

He just dropped a dime in the endzone for a TD to take the lead. :laugh:

*edit*

To tie the game, not take the lead. Thought Dallas had 14. ;)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He just dropped a dime in the endzone for a TD to take the lead. :laugh:

Neither team wants to win this damn game. I hate watching other NFC East teams play each other. Buck and Aikman make it SO much more enjoyable, too. :sarcasm:

But that's Cassel for you. It's why he's not a starter anywhere.

lol kickoff return for a TD and just like that the gints are back ahead. At least it was worth watching instead of going to the fridge after the XP.

Sep 19, 2008
We all know about the rookie jinx and Jameis nearly pulled it off.

Redskins have repeatedly struggled against rookie quarterbacks and Jameis had what I thought was an outstanding game today. I can't believe he was able to split apart the defense so efficiently. The Bucs had one three and out. Otherwise they pretty much moved the ball at will against a unit that didn't show up.

It was appalling to see him just throw a TD to put them up immediately when the game started. Then 3 more...then another one. Then Cousins fumbles and some Buc picks it up and runs in and it's 23-0 and the whole stadium is irate and people start yelling for McCoy and RG3. The offense looked putrid and completely inept. Let's talk about 3rd and 1. On third and one they for some reason throw deep when you could just run it forward for a yard. That was a ridiculous playcall. The offensive playcalling at the start was very conservative and once it became apparent that there was no need to run as much anymore since the team was down 24 at that point, and the playbook was opened up, it's no coincidence that the offense started to move down the field. Getting that touchdown really helped to make it somewhat respectable at the half, but there was still a long way to go.

Defense held the Bucs in second half after they received the possession, and offense was able to carry on the momentum, and suddenly it's 24-14. Now everyone at the stadium is celebrating, at least in the 400's, and everyone is drunk so when the onside kick is recovered many people are like what the ****. The Redskins never do that...successfully. That has worked in the past (2012?) but this was just out of the blue. It was a risky move, as said before Tampa was just lighting up that defense without issue and you don't want to give the ball back to them at that point and have them march down the field again. So the place begins to buzz. 24-21. It's a game again.

It's 27-24 and Redskins are just trying to stay in it. With time ticking down in the fourth the Bucs just go for this HUGE run all the way to like the 2 yard line, it was ridiculous and some people started to leave and Bucs fans were like WHAT YOU'RE NOT SO LOUD ARE YOU SHUT UP, in our house. I didn't leave though, I knew that if we held them to 3 we had a chance. But I was ready to go the second they scored a TD, they never did. 30-24, then Cousins starts at about his own 20 and leads a huge drive back. All the Bucs fans left with 30 seconds to go. Biggest comeback in Redskins history complete.

My biggest takeaway from this game is A) You need to open up the damn playbook for Cousins and stop being so scared of him. The conservative playcalling isn't going to work and it didn't today. Falling behind by 24 allowed them the urgency to open up the playbook and throw those short and intermediate passes that made him so successful in prior games. B) This defense really crapped the bed today and had trouble keeping Tampa off the field, however, in the second half they did not allow a TD. Defensive stand after Bucs went all the way to the 2 was HUGE. Onside kick was HUGE.

They need a week to rest and the Giants won but 3-4 at this tenure isn't so bad. The team plays well at home and not so much away from home. Hopefully they'll be able to be competitive with the Patriots. While the Patriots are undefeated, they are beatable. This has the makings of a close game, perhaps Pats by 7.

Sep 19, 2008
Ironically Rypien and Theissman were both there for homecoming. The alumni sure were treated to a show today.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Feeling good about winning because of the mental toughness and some of the skill on display, but TB had 479 total yds including 190 on the ground. If not for the 16 ****ing penalties for 142yds--many of which were on key plays and were just stupid personal fouls--there is no opportunity for the comeback.

So, thank you, Tampa. We needed that.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Bad teams find ways to lose games and often they invent new and exciting ways to do so. The Redskins have been there countless times. Happy and proud that we're on the other side for a change.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Now back to reality. Nice win, excellent win, but the team has issues to deal with during thr bye.

1st, and most important, is health. A large number of starters are out or banged up. The Skins will need "every swinging guy" available against NE to have a chance to be competitive.

Second issue is the defense, especially against the run. Something is broke and Barry better fix it during the bye.

Third is Cousins. He played great yesterday but it appears, to this point this season, he only plays at a high level at home. He will be in NE in November against the best team in the NFL. He cannot follow up yesterday with a meltdown in NE. Time for him to take the next step and that is performing at a high level on the road.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Agree with all of those points, Hog. I'd add that they need to figure out the running game. Alf had 6 carries for 5 yards yesterday. Jones had 9 carries for 29 yards with a long of 11. Their inability to run the ball leads to too many 3-and-outs and I feel that Kirk is a guy who needs a few long drives to settle into the game. If they have any prayer of beating the Patriots they will need to pound the rock, control the clock, and reduce the number of possessions for Brady and the Pats offense.

Somehow, at 3-4, this team is in 2nd place in the NFCE. I predicted 2-5 and a tire fire. Funny how one win changes a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->