2015 ReDraft as per HFBoards

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
I mean, I'm not going to rip through 3 seasons of data just to prove you wrong, but can we take a 16 game sample from Barzal's rookie season where he was having multiple 5 point nights and just assume that play will extend for the rest of his career?

The idea is just so crazy. You can argue Eichel is a clear cut #2 (he's not), but get rid of the draft and recency bias.

There will never be a time where Eichel isn't the clear #2.

Reactions: LucaBrasil

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
That is exactly my criticism.

Any of the other guys ( top 5 after McD) have all had moments in their career where you could say THAT EXACT SAME THING!!!

It's massive recency bias and the 'select data' i was referring to.
not really Eichel has been more productive in spite playing with half as talented players on his line...from start to finish he's been driving his own line heavily...Tavares is one of the best centers in the league and Mackinnon is well Mackinnon....there is hardly any depth to take pressure off of Jack's line either. Most of the underlying numbers prove how much of a force he's been even before his production took another jump as he's always been one of the best trasitional players as well as zone entry players in the league. Also the notion that Barzal is more defensively responsible is hilarious just because he plays with the Islanders Jack is +14 which is the best on the Sabres and has been really strong in his own end this year and a force on the forecheck.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
:laugh:

Anyway,

Timo Meier is too low on the redraft. Kid is criminally underrated. He'll score 35 Goals and 75+ points this year just you watch.

McDavid
Eichel
Marner
Rantanen
Aho

The only 5 guys I take before Meier.
No one takes Meier over Chabot, Provorov or Barzal under any circumstances.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No, it’s just a really deep draft.

If anything he has Chabot to high rather then Boeser to low.
Try again. Top pair NHL d man who logs 26 minutes a night and almost scores points at the same clip as a one dimensional winger. In no world are they the same tier if anything Chabot belongs in the 2nd tier.

Youre a Canucks fan i assume? Who do you value more Quinn Hughes or Boeser?... Now you have your answer.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
not sure what people's infatuation with Hanifin is. It's clear Chabot is the top D in the class, with Werenski & Provorov making cases from time to time. After that I'd choose Dunn/Carlo over Hanifin without a second thought. Hanifin does a lot of little things well, but his impact in a lot of games is near non-existent. Some of that can be attributed to playing with Hamonic regularly but you gotta worry when we see Andersson overtake him in Calgary's depth charts & Kylington not far behind if there wasn't a logjam on D to begin within in Calgary.
At this point, Provorov is clearly better than Chabot. That could change at any stretch of the season.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Sorry but no. Provorov needs to learn to play NHL level defense before he can be above Werenski.

As for the list: McDavid all alone I agree with.

Marner
Barzal
Aho
Rantanen
Eichel

2nd group is a tier, not a list. Year to year it'll fluctuate within, but those 5 are a clearer cut above the rest.
You do realize that Provorov is much better than Werenski defensively, right?

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
You do realize that Provorov is much better than Werenski defensively, right?

That doesn't mean he plays good Defense.
Both players are in my (Isles) division though I watch more Flyers games than Blue Jackets. I'll concede the point that maybe Werenski can't play D either but I'm sticking with Provorov is bad at D until he proves otherwise.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
1 Mcdavid

2 Eichel

3 Rantanen
4 Aho
5 Marner
6 Provorov
7 Chabot
8 Barzal

9 Konecny
10 Boeser
11 Connor
12 Werenski

13 Strome
14 Meier
15 Dunn

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Both players are in my (Isles) division though I watch more Flyers games than Blue Jackets. I'll concede the point that maybe Werenski can't play D either but I'm sticking with Provorov is bad at D until he proves otherwise.
I'll stick with the facts along with the eye test that says he's great defensively.

He's better defensively than offensively, he always has been.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Interesting... Provorov is the best defensive defenseman in the 15' Draft by a good margin.

CF%
Hughes 53.8%
Provorov 53.6% with by far toughest minutes
Heiskanen 51.6%
McAvoy 50.2%
Werenski 49.9%
Dahlin 49.7%
Makar 49.7%
Chabot 49.7%

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Interesting... Provorov is the best defensive defenseman in the 15' Draft by a good margin.

CF%
Hughes 53.8%
Provorov 53.6% with by far toughest minutes
Heiskanen 51.6%
McAvoy 50.2%
Werenski 49.9%
Dahlin 49.7%
Makar 49.7%
Chabot 49.7%

I seem to be the only one with this opinion but he legit only looks good in 2 of the 3 zones when I see him play. *shrug*

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Jesus Christ.
Provorov has been excellent this year, but in the three prior seasons, he doesn't drive play at all.

I know the hot "watch da games" takes are coming, but I don't think it's over the top to ask a #1 defenseman to have replacement level shot metrics.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I honestly think I'd have Chabot as high as 5th. I can understand it would vary on team need, though.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
At this point, Provorov is clearly better than Chabot. That could change at any stretch of the season.
this argument is strictly contingent on recency bias. looking at the larger sample of the two since entering the league, chabot has driven play much better, provorov is better in his own end however. it's important to note that the quality of teammates chabot has played around is MUCH worse compared to provorov. I'd still take Chabot as his ceiling is much higher than Provorov but he's definitely the safer bet of the two.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
this argument is strictly contingent on recency bias. looking at the larger sample of the two since entering the league, chabot has driven play much better, provorov is better in his own end however. it's important to note that the quality of teammates chabot has played around is MUCH worse compared to provorov. I'd still take Chabot as his ceiling is much higher than Provorov but he's definitely the safer bet of the two.
Well you're wrong. Provorov has been playing 1D minutes with AHL level partners every year until this year. Provorov also has been better this year than Chabot has been at any point in his career. You're looking at a 15-20 Goal 45-55 point defensemen who is better in his own end than he is offensively. Guy is ridiculously underrated. Chabot definitely makes a case though, Werenski isn't close.

Reactions: x DeCruze

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Provorov has been excellent this year, but in the three prior seasons, he doesn't drive play at all.

I know the hot "watch da games" takes are coming, but I don't think it's over the top to ask a #1 defenseman to have replacement level shot metrics.
Did you miss his entire 2017-18 season or rookie year? He had a down year last year and 3 great years (counting current one) based on his age and development. The guy has been playing 1D usage in the NHL since the age of 18 and is without a doubt cemented as a true 1D today. You're speaking nonsense man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->