2015 "omgwtfbbq" London/International Thread

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-by-2022-nfl-continues-to-forge-forward-in-uk

First London game is today, in about an hour, so here is the thread. However, for the first time, sounds like there is some movement on expansion of the international series to Germany or Mexico. Germany should have been in the mix a long time ago, and probably before London, and in my view, the NFL left money on the table by not attempting Germany earlier.

I know they have three games with Wembley next year as well. I don't see people happy at losing more games. Would have to drop one from there no?

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
Instead of sending our best League players over, just settle a team in Sydney. It's not like the travel, time zones or market matters. Just give me an NFL team!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dude, we'll all be dead before they stop playing games in London.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
You're right, I should go to church then eat some barbeque while watching football

We do these things quite well in the South. :laugh:

I guess as long as the Panthers don't play a "home" game there, I'll be ok w/ this although I'm still not a big fan. And of course as I type this I'll sure it will happen :shakehead

I have a Lions friend who is quite pissed off about them playing Kansas City over there next week. Kansas City has been on his to-visit list for several years. It's actually quite surprising to me anyways that the Chiefs are playing a "home" game there, don't they sell out every game?

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I thought I read somewhere that every team is going to visit London at some point as both a visitor and home team? Maybe it's just the Chiefs' turn? Otherwise, yeah, they do have a pretty good fanbase so that's confusing to me too.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I thought I read somewhere that every team is going to visit London at some point as both a visitor and home team? Maybe it's just the Chiefs' turn? Otherwise, yeah, they do have a pretty good fanbase so that's confusing to me too.

Ugh, I really hope that is not the case.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
So is the plan to slowly build up that number, then once you hit 8, say "You know what? Why not just take your own team!"?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
So is the plan to slowly build up that number, then once you hit 8, say "You know what? Why not just take your own team!"?

I'm not sure the continued expansion of the International series is going to succeed. They are regular season games that feel like pre-season games. You're asking fans to go to NFL games for the sake of an NFL game, with little investment in the teams that are playing. I think 4 might be too many, never mind 5.

I think a London franchise would probably be successful, but scaling up the number of novelty games is going to reach a saturation point.

The 17th game is a better idea than a foreign franchise, but obviously has more logistical challenges.

It really seems that way. But this is different locations which would be a hard sell to teams

Try out various stadiums in London to find the one that best suits the need. If London got a franchise, they would likely play in one stadium. Almost certainly Wembley.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

That was the original plan when the venture started. And each game would be inter-conference. It broke off when teams started volunteering.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad