Speculation: 2015 NJDevils offseason game plan

hobgoblin933

Jun 22, 2011
Cohoes, NY
Kessel is exactly what the Devils need, so if there's a practical way to make it happen, I'd be all for it. As bad as his contract is, it takes him right through what should be the prime of his career, so it's a risk I'd be willing to take.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Kessel is exactly what the Devils need, so if there's a practical way to make it happen, I'd be all for it. As bad as his contract is, it takes him right through what should be the prime of his career, so it's a risk I'd be willing to take.

He's already in his prime, that's part of the problem. His deal takes him out of it.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Kessel, at least short term would be EXACTLY what this team needs. Long term? Extremely questionable, especially for the king's ransom that the Leafs apparently want. I don't think it would be worth mortgaging our future for that one player. Been there, done that.

What we do need are three things to really get things into high gear.

- A top pairing veteran defenseman (which should be easy enough to find. Johnny O, Mike Green, Erhoff...all options)

- A complimentary top six winger. - Frolik has been mentioned, I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Chris Stewart, who would come at a much cheaper price however. Stafford, as much as it would please me on a shallow level, because I interviewed the guy, I think we should stay away from.

Lastly, we need a legitimate top line RW. You can make the case for a top line C as well, but hopefully Zacha lives up to his potential. The reason I advocate for someone like MSL is pretty simple:

Extremely cap space and budget friendly. At the worst possible case, he bombs and we either choose not to re-sign him or flip him for whatever return his humanly possible. A 1 year, no risk/high reward deal is something that I would make 10/10 times.

Last year MSL had a 50 point season (around that number anyway), I don't believe that he will decline and turn to a sloth on the ice in the span of a year. The logistics are there and are in the favor of MSL being a top contributor for the Devils if the choose to give him the 1 year flyer.

Next year's UFA class will be much stronger and we can address a more permanent fixture for our top line RW then, in the mean time a no risk/high reward deal for a single season just makes too much sense to me. What else would you do? Trade assets for Sharp? Who is coming off one of the worst seasons of his career, trade a king's ransom for Kessel and pay for it in the long run?

No thank you.

Cam-Zajac-MSL
Henrique-Elias-Frolik
Ruutu-JJ-Palmieri
Zubrus-Gionta-Tootoo.

It's a start. That bottom line is a complete dumpster fire, yes. But I don't want to rush Zacha, I think another year or so of development would do wonders. Zubrus, UNLESS they buy out will logicially stay on the team, plus I don't think Boucher is NHL ready as of yet to take Zubrus' spot and you could always slot in Matteau or Boucher over Zubrus in time. Tootoo though? great 4th line RW.

I'm a fan of Ruutu and think he's vastly underrated on this team, I see the contracts of Gionta and Zubrus being rode out to the end of next year and then then more suitable options will be on our forth line (Matteau/Boucher, Kalinin..etc)

Those lines above would be a great step in the right direction.

Next year's UFA RWs

-Grabner
-Okposo
-Voracek
-Versteeg
-Vrbata

We will definitely have options for 2016

There are a lot of pipe dreams for UFA Centers but some I don't think aren't completely unrealistic. For example, David Backes.

We are definitely in better shape than we were a season or two (or three) ago. No one can deny that.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
we don't need a top pairing DMan.

We need someone one the second pairing to mentor the kids, similar to Greene. We can't roll out all rookies and in-experienced young guns. Be reasonable.

Second pairing, rather. Greene-Lars would be our first pair. We would need someone on that second pairing. That's the point I was getting at.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Shero outlined his plan:

1. Bring in young talent
2. Look for 1-year "value" players in the free agent market
3. Let the prospects play
4. Solve the "glaring" need for another right wing

Our prospects are all left wings, centers, or defensemen so those positions are set. Shero is targeting another young right wing, most likely Alex Chiasson or Zack Kassian. Now that we have a trade to base their value on, I think our third round picks are available and, even though I want to keep our second rounders, I wouldn't mind seeing them sent away if we can at least get a pick back. However, if Shero can trade Gelinas for either of those players in a 1-for-1 deal I think that would be preferable.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Shero outlined his plan:

1. Bring in young talent
2. Look for 1-year "value" players in the free agent market
3. Let the prospects play
4. Solve the "glaring" need for another right wing

Our prospects are all left wings, centers, or defensemen so those positions are set. Shero is targeting another young right wing, most likely Alex Chiasson or Zack Kassian. Now that we have a trade to base their value on, I think our third round picks are available and, even though I want to keep our second rounders, I wouldn't mind seeing them sent away if we can at least get a pick back. However, if Shero can trade Gelinas for either of those players in a 1-for-1 deal I think that would be preferable.

The bolded SCREAMS MSL.

I don't know if I want an another super young RW after what happened with Brunner. Frolik would be a fantastic contributing 2nd/3rd line RW, Chris Stewart would be a more budget option that I'd like to take a flyer on. (Stewart, also is under 30). A 2 year deal for Stewart would be pretty ideal and you hope he regains Colorado status.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
We need someone one the second pairing to mentor the kids, similar to Greene. We can't roll out all rookies and in-experienced young guns. Be reasonable.

Second pairing, rather. Greene-Lars would be our first pair. We would need someone on that second pairing. That's the point I was getting at.

alright when you put it that way I agree

I want Oduya

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
The bolded SCREAMS MSL.

I don't know if I want an another super young RW after what happened with Brunner. Frolik would be a fantastic contributing 2nd/3rd line RW, Chris Stewart would be a more budget option that I'd like to take a flyer on. (Stewart, also is under 30). A 2 year deal for Stewart would be pretty ideal and you hope he regains Colorado status.

It does but in context he let Gomez and Harrold go for a reason. He could have kept them around for depth. Although the dire need for a right wing might necessitate an offer for St. Louis. I think St. Louis is ahead of Stewart on the list of possible options. I think this is Shero's list for solving the right wing issue:

1. Sign Frolik
2. Make another Palmieri-type trade
3. Sign Stafford
4. Sign St. Louis
5. Sign Stewart

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
The reason why I think it's sad we won't resign bernier and Gomez is I want to add assets we can ship out at the deadline if they off course has some value. Is there anything wrong with adding guys on 1 year deals and then ship them out at the deadline?
I know we need to give a opportunity to guys to perform and win a spot on the team but can't we do both.?

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Put this in the other thread, shoulda put it here.

Trade for kadri
Sign ehrhoff
Dump sal and zubrus
Good to go

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
In the next two years, I doubt that Zajac will be penned as the #1 center on this team. They will try to bring someone in and slot him down to where he belongs. It's embarrassing to see him name up there in the prospective lineups

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Secondly, Elias and Henrique are much more productive on wing. Don't want them near the pivot.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
In the next two years, I doubt that Zajac will be penned as the #1 center on this team. They will try to bring someone in and slot him down to where he belongs. It's embarrassing to see him name up there in the prospective lineups

The funny thing is when people do mock lineups such as Devils trading for Ryan O'Reilly, they still put Zajac as the no. 1!

Dude had 25 points last year and was severely out played by Gomez who doesn't have a job now.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
I would deal trav+ in a second to improve the position with a younger, more talented pivot. But I doubt it happens.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I don't have Martin St. Louis in there, because Shero has stated he wants to see what Boucher and Matteau could do, and with MSL, that wouldn't really be possible. However if Devils did sign him (which there have been reports that they will try to) I wouldn't mind it. He would make us better, but would once again have Boucher/Matteau in the minors.

How long could Boucher and Matteau stay in the minors?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad