Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dylan Strome

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Rantanen had a higher PPG and was much better in the playoffs. Rantanen produced more last year as well.
There is no chance under any circumstances i take Marner over rantanen. Size matters and their skill sets from an offensive stand point are very similar. Id also take Aho and Barzal over him too due to position i might add Chabot to that list overall as well.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
There is no chance under any circumstances i take Marner over rantanen. Size matters and their skill sets from an offensive stand point are very similar. Id also take Aho and Barzal over him too due to position i might add Chabot to that list overall as well.
The only thing I got from this post is there's a reason why you aren't a GM.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The only thing I got from this post is there's a reason why you aren't a GM.
I actually played the sport, did you? Marner is a winger, his overall impact isnt the same as a center or a number 1 d man. He might be the second most talented player out of the group that doesnt mean he is the best. There is a clear Top 7 players from this draft. After #1 the next 6 can be interchangable on any given night. I prefer size and position as a tie breaker. Doesnt mean Marner will or wont be the 2nd or 7th best player at the end of the day but if you cant see there are 7 elite players from this draft you probably cant see much further than the blue and white in front of you.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I actually played the sport, did you? Marner is a winger, his overall impact isnt the same as a center or a number 1 d man. He might be the second most talented player out of the group that doesnt mean he is the best. There is a clear Top 7 players from this draft. After #1 the next 6 can be interchangable on any given night. I prefer size and position as a tie breaker. Doesnt mean Marner will or wont be the 2nd or 7th best player at the end of the day but if you cant see there are 7 elite players from this draft you probably cant see much further than the blue and white in front of you.
Not sure what playing the sport has to do with everything but yes I did.

Anyhow, you're making the arguement that Marner is equal to someone like Barzal when Barzal just took a huge step back when he was put into a tougher position without Tavares. Rantanen so hasn't shown anything away from MacKinnon who people think is the 2nd best forward in the league. Marner has shown more away from Tavares. I could see an argument for Aho since he doesn't have as much help. Chabot has played one season in a run and gun offense tirefire
defensive system. Maybe hold off on calling him a #1D already and also putting him on the same level as Marner.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not sure what playing the sport has to do with everything but yes I did.

Anyhow, you're making the arguement that Marner is equal to someone like Barzal when Barzal just took a huge step back when he was put into a tougher position without Tavares. Rantanen so hasn't shown anything away from MacKinnon who people think is the 2nd best forward in the league. Marner has shown more away from Tavares. I could see an argument for Aho since he doesn't have as much help. Chabot has played one season in a run and gun offense tirefire
defensive system. Maybe hold off on calling him a #1D already and also putting him on the same level as Marner.
Barzal didnt take a step back if you watched the games, his entire team scored less as they changed into the best defensive team in hockey. Barzal was an absolute star in the playoffs if you watched the games. Marner simply was not.

Chabot is an absolute stud, a much better player than Rielly at the same age, his jr accolades and incredible skating and transition game prove it. To simplify it to 'one good season on a run and gun team' that was absolutely putrid with every distraction imaginable while all the best players on the team were traded. Meanwhile he took all the hard matchups in his second season in the NHL was only minus 12 on a team that had a negative goal differential of 60 shows you didnt watch him at all. There are more hockey teams out there than the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Last edited:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Barzal didnt take a step back if you watched the games, his entire team scored less as they changed into the best defensive team in hockey. Barzal was an absolute star in the playoffs if you watched the games. Marner simply was not.

Chabot is an absolute stud, a much better player than Rielly at the same age, his jr accolades and incredible skating and transition game prove it. To simplify it to 'one good season on a run and gun team' that was absolutely putrid with every distraction imaginable while all the best players on the team were traded. Meanwhile he took all the hard matchups in his second season in the NHL was only minus 12 on a team that had a negative goal differential of 60 shows you didnt watch him at all. There are more hockey teams out there than the Toronto Maple Leafs.
No Barzal for sure took a step back which many predicted he would without Tavares. Using the focusing on defence is a bad excuse. Marner also took huge steps forward defensively and still put up huge points. The isles were an incredibly lucky team last year and were backed by 2 goalies who played lights out.

Also Marner had a better year than Eichel if we want to skew it towards just last year, and Marner actually played in the playoffs unlike Eichel if you're heavily using a small sample size like that.

Reactions: Yackiberg8

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
No worries Isles fans Barzal might be 2nd after next season those change every 6 months or every months when the season is on :sarcasm: Some had Rantanen above Eichel at 2 not so long ago so.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Not fairly clear. Barely out produced Rantanen despite him playing 8 fewer games and don’t forget last year as well and this year’s playoffs. It’s a debate for sure but its not clearly Marner

Marner is a better player than Rantanen, but it's closer than I originally thought.

Marner may have played more games than Rantanen, but he only really played about 80 minutes more hockey than him, which is about 4 games for Marner's ice time.

Even with that, Rantanen played over 90 more minutes on the PP than Marner.

Give Marner another 90 minutes on the PP last year and he cruises over 100 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad