2015 NHL Draft: Rantanen the class of Finland's 2015 crop at midseason

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
mikko_rantanen_finland_010215_1.jpg
Photo: TPS Turku forward and 2015 prospect Mikko Rantanen was the top scorer for Finland at the 2015 World Junior Championship with four goals in five games (courtesy of Steve Russell/Toronto Star via Getty Images)

The trend of top junior talent heading to Canada has continued to skim some of the top talent from the junior level in Finland. In recent years that exodus has also seen players heading to the USHL. But with many of the top pro players heading to other leagues, some of the nation’s top draft-eligible prospects for the 2015 NHL Draft*are gaining experience playing against men in the country’s top pro league, Liiga.… read more

The post 2015 NHL Draft: Rantanen the class of Finland’s 2015 crop at midseason appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Vainio is a tall guy, but he's not a strong player. He's soft and rather weak in battle situations. Having him that high might end up costing some scout his job. ;) The reward potential is there, but the chances of him turning out to be a complete bust are high considering all the problems surrounding his game.

Tuulola's father was a defenseman, not a forward like the article suggests.

Heljanko has been pretty good in Jr.A on most nights, but his results with the U18 national team are poor:

• Hlinka: 2-gp, 3,56-gaa, 80,56-S%
  • 4-Nations in Sweden: 1-gp, 5,57-gaa, 82,35-S%
  • 5-Nations in Switzerland: 2-gp, 2,87-gaa, 85,00-S%

For the upcoming 5-nations in Czech Republic Heljanko has lost his spot to Nico Viksten.

Vehviläinen had two shutouts at 5-Nations in Switzerland, so he's had some success with the U18 NT-team lately. Those 51 shots he faced at 4-nations became against US-NTDP, Russia didn't even participate to this tournament.

Niku is not a tiny defenseman, he has enough height. He's not particularly aggressive and needs more strenght, that's true. As far as his development goes, I wouldn't be too worried, he's shown good progress from last year.

Heljanko and Moberg are players I wouldn't even have in my top-20, so that's where I disagree the most with this ranking. Väliharju is an interesting find.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
I myself have Vainio in the fourth round at the moment. He has made far too many defensive mistakes in my viewings and he doesn't always compete hard enough. He does have great skating ability, solid puck skills and a really good shot, but if he gets drafted, it will be based on potential.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Vainio is a tall guy, but he's not a strong player. He's soft and rather weak in battle situations. Having him that high might end up costing some scout his job. ;) The reward potential is there, but the chances of him turning out to be a complete bust are high considering all the problems surrounding his game.

I myself have Vainio in the fourth round at the moment. He has made far too many defensive mistakes in my viewings and he doesn't always compete hard enough. He does have great skating ability, solid puck skills and a really good shot, but if he gets drafted, it will be based on potential.

How would you guys compare Vainio with Vatanen in their respective draft years?

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
How would you guys compare Vainio with Vatanen in their respective draft years?

Vatanen was smarter, better defensively, performed more consistently and had a higher effort level. Vainio is clearly taller and that could eventually give him an edge in some aspects of the game, if he one day learns to be a good hockey player.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
I agree that Vatanen was much better at the same age, though I've seen Vainio more in his draft year. Vainio has offensive potential, but like I said I haven't been very impressed by his defensive game and consistency of effort. His overall game hasn't improved much from last year, which is concerning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad