2015 NHL Draft Preview: Cernak leads slim crop of prospects from Slovakia

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
erik_cernak_slovakia_122714.jpg
Photo: HC Kosice defenseman and 2015 prospect Erik Cernak appeared in 43 games in Slovakia’s top league, posting five goals and 13 points in 2014-15 (courtesy of Minas Panagiotakis/Getty Images)

</p> When Slovakia beat Sweden 3-1 to kick off the 2015 U18 World Championship, it was very much looking like the year of Slovakian junior success would continue. A thoroughly unexpected bronze medal at the 2015 World Junior Championship was a huge success for an ice hockey nation that faces many developmental challenges, especially in the financial department.

But the U18 tournament didn’t bring any further success of note to a Slovakian club that showed many faces throughout the tournament, and ultimately bowed out to Finland in the first round of the playoffs.… read more

The post 2015 NHL Draft Preview: Cernak leads slim crop of prospects from Slovakia appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

peto10

Sep 29, 2011
Slovakia
Jaros and Tomek are heavily underrated. I believe that Jaros will end up being the better player than Cernak.

edit:
but one shouldn’t forget that University of North Dakota commit Matej Tomek, who spent this past season putting up very solid numbers for the Topeka RoadRunners of the NAHL, is likely the best Slovak available in this draft

Oh, I missed that, anyway, I've seen Tomek very low in many rankings.

What is questioned is his on-ice intelligence and ability to stay out of the penalty box at inopportune times. While playing with the nation’s U18 program this winter, he collected 47 penalty minutes in just 17 games
Well, to be fair, he had 35 PIM in one game, so that's one penalty every third game.
I was very surprised with Bondra's performance at the WJC. One of the best PK performances in our junior national team since I am following WJC (09), he was strong along the boards and protected the puck nicely. I am looking forward for the next year's WJC, where he will be given more offensive responsibilities.

Last edited:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Jaros and Tomek are heavily underrated. I believe that Jaros will end up being the better player than Cernak.

edit:

Oh, I missed that, anyway, I've seen Tomek very low in many rankings.

Well, to be fair, he had 35 PIM in one game, so that's one penalty every third game.
I was very surprised with Bondra's performance at the WJC. One of the best PK performances in our junior national team since I am following WJC (09), he was strong along the boards and protected the puck nicely. I am looking forward for the next year's WJC, where he will be given more offensive responsibilities.

I think that the article is just listing the prospects who actually played in Slovakia this season. Thus Tomek (as well as Húska who last played in the USHL) counts as a NA prospect and is only mentioned at the beginning of the article and Jaroš would count as a Swedish prospect and is not mentioned in this article at all.

It’s not seen as a huge year for Slovaks draftwise.

Perhaps not a huge year, but considering some of the recent dafts, like 2012 or 2014, this actually should be a good one for Slovakia.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

I´m really confident that Jaros develops into better player than Cernak.

I like Jaros alot....but Cernak is on another tier. He has not at all put it all together yet by any means but he so many skills. He's been a man-boy since 15 and he's just learning to put it together. We'll see but I think his upside is a Zach Bogosian. Tough, good skater, good passer, good shot, just all around good tools but not quite the hockey sense to connect it. Still a solid 2nd pairing D.

Anyways so far
#43 - Los Angeles Kings - D Erik Cernak
#90 - Philadelphia Flyers - G Matej Tomek
#139 - Ottawa Senators - D Christian Jaros
#151 - Chicago Blackhawks - LW/RW Radovan Bondra
#184 - New York Rangers - G Adam Huska

Gotta think Huska is a bit of a surprise here. Good size I suppose, I haven't really seen him much.

Last edited:

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
I like Jaros alot....but Cernak is on another tier. He has not at all put it all together yet by any means but he so many skills. He's been a man-boy since 15 and he's just learning to put it together. We'll see but I think his upside is a Zach Bogosian. Tough, good skater, good passer, good shot, just all around good tools but not quite the hockey sense to connect it. Still a solid 2nd pairing D.

Cernak is below average skater, his pivots and feet are slow. He lacks hockey sense. And has stone hands.

peto10

Sep 29, 2011
Slovakia
Cernak is below average skater, his pivots and feet are slow. He lacks hockey sense. And has stone hands.

Well, you can improve skating and hands. Just look at Marko Dano, he is much better skater after just one year in a NA.

I agree with the hockey sense and I am fraid, that it will be even worse on the smaller rink, where so many things are happening.

In your opinion, what's better for his development? CHL / AHL / Košice?

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Well, you can improve skating and hands. Just look at Marko Dano, he is much better skater after just one year in a NA.

I agree with the hockey sense and I am fraid, that it will be even worse on the smaller rink, where so many things are happening.

In your opinion, what's better for his development? CHL / AHL / Košice?

CHL in my opinion

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Since when Cernak is a good passer?

A guy with so many skills? in hockey?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Erie GM is saying the Cernak is likely to come over this year. And that he will be given every chance to make the Ontario Reign (LA's AHL team) but if he doesn't will end up in Erie.

LA has a crowded farm D so he'll be in tough, but has a chance.

This board really seemed to hate Marko Dano as well, so we'll see. I like Cernak. Never going to be elite due to his lack of hockey sense but has the tools, IMO.

Last edited:

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
If you dig around in the past you can find a Czechexpert quote where he says Tomas Tatar will not make it to the NHL because he lacks the tools to be an NHL player. Oooops.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
If you dig around in the past you can find a Czechexpert quote where he says Tomas Tatar will not make it to the NHL because he lacks the tools to be an NHL player. Oooops.

Not really a good example at all. Tatar was a late bloomer whom plenty of people did not expect to make it all the way to the NHL. I mean, he was a no name player outside of Slovakia prior to the WJC in his draft year and even after the Wings drafted him he was just one of several promising young players they had in their prospect pool.

Cernak on the other hand is a player who has been hyped since a very young age. I'm not 100% sure but I believe you could actually find a post by czechexpert from when he was around 16 when he actually said that he liked him.

EDIT: found it

in February 2013:

I have seen him only once, recently at Four nation in Piestany. Was really impressed, big, mobile, intelligent. Won most of battles, tough to beat 1 on 1, good shot, moves the puck well, good vision. Plus he is right handed D which is always bonus.
in 2013:
Czech goalie Daniel Vladar has upside of first rounder for sure as well as Slovakian D Erik Cernak.
a year later
I was really impressed last season but unfortunately he has been terrible in games I have seen him this season, really disappointing. Reminds me Ceresnak more and more which isn´t good sign.

Should have probably gone for the post where he says that Dano won't be an NHLer instead :sarcasm:

Although he isn't always right, czechexpert is more often right than not when it comes to Slovak prospects.

And it's not like he has some kind of bias against Slovak players, there are several he has been high on, Marincin, Jaros (even before his transfer to Sweden) or Tomek.

Of course, I do wish Cernak the best of luck and hope that he can prove czechexpert wrong :)

Last edited:

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009

If you say a, you should also say b. I entirely changed my view on Tatar in second half of his draft season, especially after scouting him on several occasion in regular season and in playoff in Zvolen. Plus he impressed me immensely when I was making interview with him. I ranked Panik over Tatar until I spoke with both guys on same day.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Not really a good example at all. Tatar was a late bloomer whom plenty of people did not expect to make it all the way to the NHL. I mean, he was a no name player outside of Slovakia prior to the WJC in his draft year and even after the Wings drafted him he was just one of several promising young players they had in their prospect pool.

Cernak on the other hand is a player who has been hyped since a very young age. I'm not 100% sure but I believe you could actually find a post by czechexpert from when he was around 16 when he actually said that he liked him.

EDIT: found it

in February 2013:

in 2013:

a year later

Should have probably gone for the post where he says that Dano won't be an NHLer instead :sarcasm:

Although he isn't always right, czechexpert is more often right than not when it comes to Slovak prospects.

And it's not like he has some kind of bias against Slovak players, there are several he has been high on, Marincin, Jaros (even before his transfer to Sweden) or Tomek.

Of course, I do wish Cernak the best of luck and hope that he can prove czechexpert wrong :)

It´s nonsense to speak about bias against Slovakian players, simply I like some Slovakian prospects and some others don´t like but it´s same with Czechs, Swedes, Finns, Russians. I´m high on Tomek and Jaros and I´m not a fan of Cernak and Bondra. I can guarantee you that there were several teams who didn´t have Cernak on their lists at all as well as there were teams who ranked him as first round prospect.

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
In fact, czechexpert has changed his opinion on Vladař too. I mean, I have to agree with czechexpert, Černák regressed during the 13/14 season, last year I had really limited opportunity to see him, but judging from WJC, I wasn't so impressed as I used to be when he played for Košice in extraliga dorastu or following season for Slovan.

Same for Sádecký. Before this season I really hoped he could have been drafted as a solid two-way centerman, but he played quite bad last season (although he had few excellent games, for example against Switzerland at Vlado Dzurilla Tournament) and overall I changed my mind regarding his draft chances.

As for Bondra, he seems to be enormously streaky. He was really good in the first half of the season, but after WJC he slowed down and acme of "not being in the shape" came at U18 Worlds. And it wasn't for the first time he had these types of streaks. It was same also season before (although in reverse order) and also in 2012/2013.

Last edited:

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
It´s nonsense to speak about bias against Slovakian players, simply I like some Slovakian prospects and some others don´t like but it´s same with Czechs, Swedes, Finns, Russians. I´m high on Tomek and Jaros and I´m not a fan of Cernak and Bondra. I can guarantee you that there were several teams who didn´t have Cernak on their lists at all as well as there were teams who ranked him as first round prospect.

OT And what do you think about Marko Dano? I know you didnt like him but his play (especailly his scoring - 14 pts in last 15g) in the NHL surprised many people.

Are there any 15-17yo Slovaks that you like?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad