Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft - Pick #79 - Sergey Zborovskiy

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
you mean in terms of a big defenseman? or in terms of a boom/bust pick?

rangers have made a ton of those picks really count for themselves over the past few years. Kreider immediately comes to mind.

In hour or so after the Kreider pick I remember a ton of these:

:thumbd:

:facepalm:

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
you mean in terms of a big defenseman? or in terms of a boom/bust pick?

rangers have made a ton of those picks really count for themselves over the past few years. Kreider immediately comes to mind.

A game changing defensive menace on skates.
He covets one.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
A worse skating Graves.

These ****ing idiots and their obsession with size. Jesus christ.

The strategy of taking 1-2 big defensemen in the middle rounds per draft is not bad. Obviously most won't work out since 3-5 rounders have something like a 5-10% chance of making the NHL, but if you strike gold and get one quality big guy, it will be extremely valuable to the team.

2015: Zborovskiy
2014: Mantha
2013: Graves
2012: Nobody in the mid-rounds, but Skjei is 6-3 210 pounds and got drafted in the first round
2011: Noreau, Ceresnak
2010: Nobody, but McIlrath got drafted in the first round
2009: Maggio

As you can see, this is obviously a plan to pick at least one big defenseman per draft for 7 years. Like it or not, this remains the plan. Also, other than Skjei, everyone else is a righty. With Girardi and Klein now 31 and Boyle three days away from getting Medicare, this team has a long term problem at RD. Adding more of these guys through the draft is not the worst idea. This is our oldest position with the average age of 33.6.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Classical Slats pick.
Hes got to hit a homer with one some day.

lol, I hope someone help Slat with retirement as GM.
I just feel these recent cap moves involves too much risk for nothing in return.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
No real issue with this pick. It's not really sexy enough for some. I see both him and Saarela (with his concussion history) as rolls of the dice---or not really safe picks. Not every defenseman we get needs to be a point producer. Some actually should be take care of their own end defensemen first.

And size and physical play both matter. A quick look at Hockeyfights.com by the way shows 0 actual fights for Zborovskiy last year or even ever. If he's a physical D--he's keeping his gloves on---meaning he just hits. So there should be no complaining from the anti-fighting anti-toffness crowd. If he turns into a better skating version of Alexei Emelin or even the same he will be an asset for the Rangers to develop or move along to some other team as they please. One thing to be said for Emelin by the way you better keep your head up--nothing wrong with getting a guy that's going to keep Rangers opponents heads up either.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
lol, I hope someone help Slat with retirement as GM.
I just feel these recent cap moves involves too much risk for nothing in return.

Picks aren't nothing, especially to this team with a fairly shallow prospect pool.

And Etem is still developing, his ceiling is unknown.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I actually think most of you are seriously misinterpreting this guy. Was he selected earlier than expected? Yes he sure was, but he is really mobile and physical. Likes to join the rush and can put a body on someone.

Think y'all need to watch this game video of him before judging any further.

He's No. 2 in blue....

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I actually think most of you are seriously misinterpreting this guy. Was he selected earlier than expected? Yes he sure was, but he is really mobile and physical. Likes to join the rush and can put a body on someone.

Think y'all need to watch this game video of him before judging any further.

He's No. 2 in blue....

So, he's the guy standing around on the first goal at 1:10? Gotcha.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Get used to drafting guys like these. We will draft 3-4 defensemen next June. Bodie, Nanne, Hughes, Andersson, Noreau are all crap, so are likely Zamorsky and Mantha. Allen has a very limited upside and is an LD. Someone will need to take over the older RD blueliners. Boyle will be replaced by McIlrath, but a year from now Girardi and Klein will be 32 years old and Graves will be the only halfway decent RD. Unless Mantha, Zamorsky or Zborovskiy take a massive step forward and become one of our top prospects, the team would be smart to draft 3+ RDs next June. We don't have a first, a second rounder has a 20% chance of making the NHL, a third rounder has 10%, a 4-7 rounder around 6%. Even if every guy we draft is a right defenseman, that gives us only a 50-50 chance we'll plug the hole.using half of our draft picks to try to plus in a looming hole will be smart.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Get used to drafting guys like these. We will draft 3-4 defensemen next June. Bodie, Nanne, Hughes, Andersson, Noreau are all crap, so are likely Zamorsky and Mantha. Allen has a very limited upside and is an LD. Someone will need to take over the older RD blueliners. Boyle will be replaced by McIlrath, but a year from now Girardi and Klein will be 32 years old and Graves will be the only halfway decent RD. Unless Mantha, Zamorsky or Zborovskiy take a massive step forward and become one of our top prospects, the team would be smart to draft 3+ RDs next June. We don't have a first, a second rounder has a 20% chance of making the NHL, a third rounder has 10%, a 4-7 rounder around 6%. Even if every guy we draft is a right defenseman, that gives us only a 50-50 chance we'll plug the hole.using half of our draft picks to try to plus in a looming hole will be smart.

Little early to say guys like Nanne and Mantha are crap, no? And Zamorsky looked good in camp last year and is very accomplished for a young player in Europe, so it seems crazy to label him a likely bust at this point. I understand that statistically he's unlikely to be an impact player, but I think the recent past has shown we're pretty adept at identifying the statistical outliers.

I don't disagree with your overall point about the need for defensemen, but I think you're being prematurely critical of a few that we have.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

Why breathe, we're all gonna die right ?

:propeller

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

lol. ouch. watching select videos shows exactly nothing, both good and bad. we all know that.

he seems involved and not shy joining the rush and going deep in the ozone.

i like his size and willingness to engage.

add him to the prospect pool and hope in 3 years he's ready to play for real.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
lol. ouch. watching select videos shows exactly nothing, both good and bad. we all know that.

he seems involved and not shy joining the rush and going deep in the ozone.

i like his size and willingness to engage.

add him to the prospect pool and hope in 3 years he's ready to play for real.

If we pick and chose one goal from one prospect we would have never drafted any of our players.

They are prospects, very few are perfect with no flaws at 18 years old.

Our best player of this generation had a crappy draft year, yet, look where he is now ;)

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
If we pick and chose one goal from one prospect we would have never drafted any of our players.

They are prospects, very few are perfect with no flaws at 18 years old.

Our best player of this generation had a crappy draft year, yet, look where he is now ;)

yup.

such an inexact science this drafting thing

so much is put on the interviews today, and the family and the off ice/community stuff these kids do. these kids are all great athletes today. really fit and top end athletes.

like always it comes down to 2 things. pure athletic talent and intelligence.

back in the day, it was do you have your original teeth and can you play hungover ?

lol

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Little early to say guys like Nanne and Mantha are crap, no? And Zamorsky looked good in camp last year and is very accomplished for a young player in Europe, so it seems crazy to label him a likely bust at this point. I understand that statistically he's unlikely to be an impact player, but I think the recent past has shown we're pretty adept at identifying the statistical outliers.

I don't disagree with your overall point about the need for defensemen, but I think you're being prematurely critical of a few that we have.

I think I should've used better words: they are not busts, but they are low-end prospects who are unlikely to make the NHL as anything decent. This team needs to replace 1RD, 2RD and 3RD. I just don't see Mantha, Nanne, Hughes, etc become a top-4 D, though Mantha gives me the most hope because from all the reports he made a lot of progress last season. We'll see what Zamo does in North America. Either way, without writing off anyone, we still need to keep swinging at the RD slot because it's looking like the biggest hole this team will have in the coming years.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Think I read an interview where he says he hasn't fought yet but he thinks it's important to be able to drop the gloves if needed so he's expecting to fight before his junior career ends. I'll try to find it the whole interview is great he talks about coming to Canada knowing nobody and no English and stuff like that.

edit: http://thehockeywriters.com/interview-with-2015-eligible-sergey-zborovskiy/

So I guess he'll be taken Chris Kreider's spot at Uncle Nicky's Punch-a-Chump camp....?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

If you watched the rest of the video, he has good positioning and joins the offensive play. One slip up doesn't mean he sucks. Every prospect, or even NHL player, slips up sometimes. It's only when it's a constant slip up in multiple situations where then they could then "suck".

I'm looking into the good into this pick, because he isn't a bad prospect.

FrodoBeggins

Jun 26, 2016
Kerch
He scored 7 points in the match (2 + 5). Very cool figure. I scored this season 23 points (5 + 18) in 21 games. Progressing with long strides

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Interesting to take a look back at the commentary on him on his draft day. I think a few people might like to walk back their analyses. Sniping at him for being 'too big' (at 6'4?) and 'too tough' (he's had one or two fights I think, but he's alright playing physical).

He was the d-man I liked the most at Traverse City. It certainly wasn't Calle Andersson with all his pro experience. One year after his draft--he's got a contract and he's made steady improvement the past couple years. I don't think he's a guaranteed NHL'er but I like him a lot better than Walcott or Mantha. Steady guy in his own end. I think he's got a real shot. He is playing for a very strong team--that always helps. WJC bound though. That's a big deal.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Didn't see this posted anywhere here. Apparently he couldn't even stick in the American League?

EDIT: NVM see it in stickied prospects thread

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

Didn't see this posted anywhere here. Apparently he couldn't even stick in the American League?

It's been discussed in other threads.

Assuming that he just wants to go and make more money playing closer to home. The organization added a ton of defense prospects in the past year, and the writing was on the wall that he doesn't have a realistic future with the organization. The Rangers have always been good about letting players go and trading them when they ask for it if they've been good soldiers. It's not like we were going to resign him after his ELC was up next year, and it's a good will move with his agent, who more than likely represents many other NHL players as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad