2015 NHL Draft: New Jersey Devils draft review

brule2000

Jan 9, 2006
Probably much the same thing we offered for Palmeri...or maybe he offered both seconds. Which would have entailed Toronto moving down 12 spots instead of 5, though the second second-rounder was much better than the one the Flyers gave up.

I think that would have been for the Konecny pick. The Isles lured Edmonton with a western Canadian prospect in Reinhart, with organisational links.

Seney looks about 15 in his interview, and this was his second go through the draft!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think that would have been for the Konecny pick. The Isles lured Edmonton with a western Canadian prospect in Reinhart, with organisational links.

Seney looks about 15 in his interview, and this was his second go through the draft!

Oh right, misread the post...I don't know if we could have possibly been in on Barzal given he was twenty picks away - trading into the lower first round was more realistic and Koechny was our supposed target.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The way I look at it is that we had 6 picks going into it. We walked away with 3 forward prospects (two of which I truly believe will make the NHL at the very least in Zacha and Speers), a 24 year old top 6 forward, a LHD and goalie. Not bad at all. Not every pick was going to be used on a forward, and Shero still managed to fill some other needs.

Exactly. But we still ended up with 4 forwards and we still have two thirds next year that we walked in with, which is why I was fine with the trading down in the 2nd.

We needed more organizational depth almost everywhere as you said. Both to develop players, but to also have trade chips that won't gut the the entire organization.

Having more flexibility to make future moves or just to have more options is a big deal.

brule2000

Jan 9, 2006
Oh right, misread the post...I don't know if we could have possibly been in on Barzal given he was twenty picks away - trading into the lower first round was more realistic and Koechny was our supposed target.

The article claims Shero made an offer for Edmonton's pick. That assertion is interesting because it's obvious a package of picks would have been insufficient and Edmonton were interested in D prospects. The inference is that the likes of Gelinas or Santini would have been in that kind of discussion.

The Oilers came away with a young defenseman drafted 4th overall and I'm sure our prospect fitting that description would have been off limits.

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
The article claims Shero made an offer for Edmonton's pick. That assertion is interesting because it's obvious a package of picks would have been insufficient and Edmonton were interested in D prospects. The inference is that the likes of Gelinas or Santini would have been in that kind of discussion.

The Oilers came away with a young defenseman drafted 4th overall and I'm sure our prospect fitting that description would have been off limits.

I am curious as to what the Devils had offered. From what I hear about Reinhart, he might not live up to those lofty expectations. Merrill plus a pick might have gotten the deal done. Or maybe Edmonton wanted to hit the home run and expect Reinhart will pan out as promised.

Larsson showed he could meet his potential last year, and was further along the path than Reinhart at the same age. He most certainly would have gotten a more robust return than draft picks.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Reinhart will bust.

A horrific trade by Edmonton and now NYi picked up 2 elite offensive prospects in the first round.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Reinhart will bust.

A horrific trade by Edmonton and now NYi picked up 2 elite offensive prospects in the first round.

That's my take on this as well. I've seen Reinhart more than a few times between Bridgeport, Hartford, and Springfield, and the kid's a pylon in the making.

Well....that's probably too harsh, but he looks really one-dimensional. His skating isn't all that good, and despite his size, he's not really a very physical player. Supposedly his hockey sense is his best attribute, but I don't know if it's enough from preventing him being the next Scott Hannan or something. For all his hockey sense, he's never been a heavy offensive player. I guess I can't really blame Edmonton since they're starving for D prospects, but I think they would've been better off drafting Barzal and flipping him for a better D in a year or two when he breaks out.

So, all that being said, I feel a lot better knowing that Shero tried to move up to that pick. But even though I think Gelinas's going to be a better defenseman than Reinhart, I'm sure Reinhart had way more trade value. And I wouldn't give up Merrill or Larsson for Barzal (though it'd be pretty tempting...).

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
No way in the world would I have traded a bonified NHL top 4 defenseman (Merrill) or Gelinas + 2nd to pick Barzal.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
No way in the world would I have traded a bonified NHL top 4 defenseman (Merrill) or Gelinas + 2nd to pick Barzal.

Doesn't matter anyway because Edmonton would laugh at that proposal, I think. For all his flaws (as perceived by me, at least), Reinhart is still very highly thought of, and of course it's totally possible that he makes me look like an idiot for doubting him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad