2015 NHL Draft: Florida Panthers draft review

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
lawson_crouse_florida_062615.jpg
Photo: In 2014-15, Lawson Crouse had 51 points in 56 games with the OHL’s Frontenacs and helped Team Canada to the gold at the World Junior Championship (courtesy of Aaron Bell/CHL Images)

</p>The Florida Panthers are on the verge of an identity crisis after missing the playoffs again for the 13th time in 14 seasons. For a fanbase that has only seen the playoffs four times since the team’s inception in 1993, General Manager Dale Tallon is facing a critical turning point for the franchise.

The Panthers have young talent like Aaron Ekblad, Jonathan Huberdeau, and Aleksander Barkov, but they haven’t been able to gain traction thanks to questionable decision making from the front office.… read more

The post 2015 NHL Draft: Florida Panthers draft review appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Look I love the Crouse pick and all but I just saw this broadcast of the draft and my heart dropped when I saw the other Kingston players taken in the first round. Notably these guys: Gratton, Kilger, B. Lindros and A. Stewart. Yikes.

OCPoOVS.png

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Look I love the Crouse pick and all but I just saw this broadcast of the draft and my heart dropped when I saw the other Kingston players taken in the first round. Notably these guys: Gratton, Kilger, B. Lindros and A. Stewart. Yikes.
I think I'd be more worried if they all came from the same father.:laugh:

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
If Lawson Crouse makes the squad, puts up good numbers, and becomes a top 6 forward, then the draft was successful. I feel really good about some of the later round picks like Montembeault and Schmistch. They'll hopefully become good players for us in the future.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

OCPoOVS.png

Kingston is one of the best managed teams in the CHL, Doug Gilmour runs a tip top organization.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I'll be satisfied if he becomes a top-six guy. And I have three areas of criteria for him to fill to be considered an effective/efficient top-six player. Keep in mind this is what I hope he will become in 2-3 years since he is just 18.

1) Statistically Efficient
Score at least 25+25 consistently and peak in the 60-70 point range. I have little faith in him becoming a point per game guy or even getting 70-80 as his peak. Blend with linemates and keep evolving and getting better every year. Don't just keep up with small forwards, but dominate them. Skate with them, take the puck from them and burn them on the scoreboard within the rules.

2) Disciplined and Durable
Keep the fighting to a minimum and make sure he doesn't cross the line more than once every few seasons. No stupid extra curricular activity penalties. Learn to play on the edge in the NHL and don't get a bad rep from the refs. Play in all 82 games, at the very least 70-82 per season barring any serious injuries like a broken leg.

3) Consistent Effort
Bring a consistent effort game after game, year after year. Have the fire always lit and keep bringing a "Milan Lucic" type presence in the Panthers lineup. Play like he is advertised, like a big, mean player who doesn't take any crap and doesn't stop imposing his will on the opposition. Every. Single. Night.

Last edited:

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
So where does he fit in this year? Tallon thinks he can play on the top 6 six already, but it seems like the 4th line is his best bet at this point...

Hub-Barkov-Jagr
Crouse-Bjugstad-Pirri
Jokinen-Bolland-Smith
Trocheck-Mackenzie-Grimaldi

To me that would push Smith/Jokinen/Trocheck/Grim down too far....If Crouse is actually that good to warrant it, then it's fine with me. But is he?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
So where does he fit in this year? Tallon thinks he can play on the top 6 six already, but it seems like the 4th line is his best bet at this point...

Hub-Barkov-Jagr
Crouse-Bjugstad-Pirri
Jokinen-Bolland-Smith

To me that would push Smith/Jokinen/Trocheck/Grim down too far....If Crouse is actually that good to warrant it, then it's fine with me. But is he?

Crouse-Bjugstad-Pirri. Who's going to pass the puck?

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I like the Montembeault pick. From what I've seen of him, his agility and quickness are really good. I think he has the tools and potential to be a #1, but goalies are so hard to project. Still, I think he is exactly what we needed, that potential stud prospect.

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden

Hub-Barkov-Jagr
Crouse-Bjugstad-Pirri
Jokinen-Bolland-Smith

Smith-Bjugstad-Pirri
Jokinen-Bolland-Crouse

As our middle-6?

I wouldn't mind Crouse to start of on the 4th line, but I have to ask. How is his defensive play? I know he is a physical guy and that is great, but can he track back and play in the defensive zone well? If so I agree he really should be getting some 4th line time to start of with and move up if proven good enough. I'm not to comfortable with Grimaldi on the 4th. I kind of want a more defensive unit on that line. There is also Howden that has been talked about for the 4th.

Man, there are so many combination that they could go with this year. It's gonna be so interesting to see how the camp goes and what lines will play in the opening games.

RatKingBolland*

If Lawson Crouse makes the squad, puts up good numbers, and becomes a top 6 forward, then the draft was successful. I feel really good about some of the later round picks like Montembeault and Schmistch. They'll hopefully become good players for us in the future.

Sometimes i wonder what the point of these post are that just state the obvious. With that said gonna be interesting to see how Montembeault develops.. Not that hyped on S.Britton as the top G prospect. Anyone knows when or if Montembeault can/will play in AHL?

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
He would have to beat Pirri to the job... not entirely impossible if Crouse finds chemistry with Bjugs and Smith(?) and Pirri doesn't score like last year who know what will happen.

Yeah, but I think they have to try Pirri in the top 6. They need to see if he's a legit goalscorer in this league and they'll only know if he gets those kind of minutes.

If that's the case: I'm starting to think Jokinen is the only fit for Bjugstad-Pirri. Like Dread Clawz said above, someone needs to pass the puck! Jokinen is a proven middle 6 playmaker, who can also provide defense to balance out the other two.

Anyway, I just don't see Crouse breaking the top 6. Even if we put him on the 3rd line, that means a couple of trocheck/ smith/ grimaldi/ bolland would have to play on the 4th line, which just seems kind of ridiculous.

TL;DR I predict Crouse goes back to juniors.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

Yeah the competition is good and Crouse will bring that. Maybe the comments about him in the top six is a way to put some pressure on guys like Pirri and Grimaldi. Just because there are spots available doesn't mean they will be handed out, if they don't earn it younger guys will drop them out of the lineup.

But yeah, I do think Crouse should play one more year in the juniors unless he blows everyone away at camp.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Yeah the competition is good and Crouse will bring that. Maybe the comments about him in the top six is a way to put some pressure on guys like Pirri and Grimaldi. Just because there are spots available doesn't mean they will be handed out, if they don't earn it younger guys will drop them out of the lineup.

But yeah, I do think Crouse should play one more year in the juniors unless he blows everyone away at camp.

Agreed. The competition factor is awesome. No one is entitled, and it pushes everyone to work that much harder for their chance. I guess you're right that Pirri can't just automatically be penciled in if he's outplayed. Can't wait to see how it all plays out. :popcorn:

Thunderheart

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
Sometimes i wonder what the point of these post are that just state the obvious. With that said gonna be interesting to see how Montembeault develops.. Not that hyped on S.Britton as the top G prospect. Anyone knows when or if Montembeault can/will play in AHL?

Can not play in AHL until 20 years old!
Thunderheart

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I never understood why the NHL has that rule. No matter of age, to me, if a player needs more development time before reaching the NHL, but can do so faster by playing in the pros, why not allow them to?

The way I understand it, it's so the CHL can keep its top talent. Otherwise teams would lose most top players every two years and the turnover would be pretty rough on them.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The way I understand it, it's so the CHL can keep its top talent. Otherwise teams would lose most top players every two years and the turnover would be pretty rough on them.

Yeah, it would be disastrous to the CHL. Its hard enough for CHL teams to keep a powerhouse together as it is. I think its a good rule. Those teams bring those young kids up through their system and develop them into the players that get drafted. The least the NHL can do is allow them to potentially keep those players for another two years.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Well I'm in the camp of splitting it down the middle. If junior leagues around the world can make it work and allow those that are good enough to play pro hockey leave, then why should the CHL have this monopoly on young players until they are 20? This is nothing more than greed by a group of owners that in most respects make an excellent return on their investment. You think many of these owners (some of which are former NHL players) do this out of the goodness of their hearts? They are in it for the money and prestige, and their reputation and power go a long ways in lobbying to keep things at the status quo. I say give them until they are 19 and then let the kids go make a living for themselves in pro leagues other than the NHL if that's what they want to do.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Well I'm in the camp of splitting it down the middle. If junior leagues around the world can make it work and allow those that are good enough to play pro hockey leave, then why should the CHL have this monopoly on young players until they are 20? This is nothing more than greed by a group of owners that in most respects make an excellent return on their investment. You think many of these owners (some of which are former NHL players) do this out of the goodness of their hearts? They are in it for the money and prestige, and their reputation and power go a long ways in lobbying to keep things at the status quo. I say give them until they are 19 and then let the kids go make a living for themselves in pro leagues other than the NHL if that's what they want to do.

because junior leagues around the world are the same as their mother club, which means, when they are good enough to play in the pros, they play for the same team, but for their pro version

example:

player A plays for djurgårdens IF in superelit in sweden
player A is too good for superelit
player A now plays for djurgårdens IF in SHL

the NA style doesn't foster players to remain with their club, they foster them for another club

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad