2015 NHL Draft- Defensemen

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Jérémy Roy and Loïk Léveillé from the Q for sure. Especially Roy. Kid's got elite potential. Already playing big minutes for a poor team in Sherbrooke. Already has 3G and 2 A in 7 games. Has some work to do defensively but definately not a big issue. He's a good defender already. Terrific skater, great vision.

Léveillé came into the league as a very good prospect. Played well in his rookie season and is off to a great start for 2013-2014. Will be a late 96 for the 2015 draft.

I really like Nicolas Meloche for Baie-Comeau as well. 6'2 194 already, physical and steady defensively. Already has 1 goal and 4 assists this season. Should be a big riser along the way.

There's a lot more D coming from the Q. I don't know if they can be considered 1st round prospects yet but guys like Carrier, Bell, Brisebois, Thompson, Chabot, Henley are all off to good starts and are considered very good prospects. There's always Luc Deschênes. He was considered a very good prospect at 14, didn't develop his defensive game all that much. Has played sheltered minutes in Victoriaville, scratched for a few games. Good offensive potential but was lost defensively in the game I saw him.

edit: Forgot to mention this but Noah Hanifin is considered as an excellent prospect already. Lots of people saying he's the best US d-man ever at 15 (including Seth Jones). Already off to a great start with the USA NTDP.

Last edited:

hockey4life13

May 2, 2011
Jérémy Roy and Loïk Léveillé from the Q for sure. Especially Roy. Kid's got elite potential. Already playing big minutes for a poor team in Sherbrooke. Already has 3G and 2 A in 7 games. Has some work to do defensively but definately not a big issue. He's a good defender already. Terrific skater, great vision.

Léveillé came into the league as a very good prospect. Played well in his rookie season and is off to a great start for 2013-2014. Will be a late 96 for the 2015 draft.

I really like Nicolas Meloche for Baie-Comeau as well. 6'2 194 already, physical and steady defensively. Already has 1 goal and 4 assists this season. Should be a big riser along the way.

There's a lot more D coming from the Q. I don't know if they can be considered 1st round prospects yet but guys like Carrier, Bell, Brisebois, Thompson, Chabot, Henley are all off to good starts and are considered very good prospects. There's always Luc Deschênes. He was considered a very good prospect at 14, didn't develop his defensive game all that much. Has played sheltered minutes in Victoriaville, scratched for a few games. Good offensive potential but was lost defensively in the game I saw him.

edit: Forgot to mention this but Noah Hanifin is considered as an excellent prospect already. Lots of people saying he's the best US d-man ever at 15 (including Seth Jones). Already off to a great start with the USA NTDP.

Deschenes was not scratched a couple games , he had upper body injury. With 7 D as a 16 year old he is seeing normal shifts for first year.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Rasmus Anderson, Ryan Pilon, Noah Hanifin, Zach Werenski, Matthew Spencer, Jeremie Roy, Oliver Kylington, Erik Cernak, Luc Deschenes, & Dmitri Osipov are some of the names I know off the top of my head.

Also off topic but 2016 seems to have some good defensive prospects as well in Chad Krys, Sean Day, Jakob Chychrun, Kale Clague, Victor Mete, Michael Campoli, Josh Anderson, Luke Green, David Quennville, Dante Fabbro, Jacob Moverare, Nicolas McKeeby, Adam Fox, Cole Candella, Griffin Luce, Ryan Lindgren

hockey4life13

May 2, 2011

Just curious which game you saw that he was lost defensively , based on coaches comments after each game he has been very satisfied with Deschenes play.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Just curious which game you saw that he was lost defensively , based on coaches comments after each game he has been very satisfied with Deschenes play.

Saw him against Val d'Or. Didn't play much. I was looking for him and when I saw him he looked a bit lost defensively. That said, only a game, perhaps he played better in other games.

Deschenes was not scratched a couple games , he had upper body injury. With 7 D as a 16 year old he is seeing normal shifts for first year.

Ok thanks, thought he was scratched as in the game I saw him Victo had 8 d-men in the lineup and couldn't find any link about him being injured.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Came here to name drop Alexandre Carrier, possibly the calmest 16 YO D-Men I ever witnessed (and an associate capitain as well).

Now, if only he could grow a little...

hockey4life13

May 2, 2011
Saw him against Val d'Or. Didn't play much. I was looking for him and when I saw him he looked a bit lost defensively. That said, only a game, perhaps he played better in other games.

Ok thanks, thought he was scratched as in the game I saw him Victo had 8 d-men in the lineup and couldn't find any link about him being injured.

There are 8 D on roster , Diaby out till X-mas , dressing 7 , he missed both games last weekend due to injury . They are dressing 7 a game and yes as a rookie he is just seeing limited min. Hasn't been a game yet with 8 D men on active roster.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
There are 8 D on roster , Diaby out till X-mas , dressing 7 , he missed both games last weekend due to injury . They are dressing 7 a game and yes as a rookie he is just seeing limited min. Hasn't been a game yet with 8 D men on active roster.

That's the game I watched,

http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/schedule/show/game/64700

I saw 8 D listed, maybe some only play forward or were sent down. I'm not familiar with everyone of them.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
That's the game I watched,

http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/schedule/show/game/64700

I saw 8 D listed, maybe some only play forward or were sent down. I'm not familiar with everyone of them.

Hanifin is the best 2015 NHL draft eligible D at this point.

As for the Q, could be a banner D year. Roy, Carrier, Meloche, Brisebois, Léveillé, Bell and Picco all have top-2 rounds potential. Chabot and Thompson are both intriguing. The Val d'Or pair (Henley and Galipeau) have good size and defensive awareness, etc. Just

SBrisScout

May 9, 2010
Washington State
Kevin Davis of the Everett Silvertips is 2015 draft eligible. I have him going in the mid rounds of the draft, but he could definitely slide up. Isn't done growing, his father and brothers are all 6'2 area. Very calm, won't beat you physically, but with sound positioning and stick work. Good puck mover.

luby3131

Jan 8, 2011
Parkland, FL
Should be a big year for defenseman. Noah Hanafin, Zach Werneski, Ryan Pilon, and Rasmus Andersson are all top 15 players in this class at the moment, with Matthew Spencer and Jeremy Roy both impressing early in their careers. I've got my eye on Dmitri Osipov out in the Dub, he's coming in with some hype. Don't know much about Oliver Kylington or Erik Cernak, but both their names constantly come up as first round talents. Luc Deschenes has been a name I've been watching since scoutman1 mentioned him a few years ago, so we'll see how he develops in Victoriaville.

Two names nobody has mentioned: Troy Henley from Ottawa and Keoni Texiera from Portland.

2015 is shaping up to be a terrific draft

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
97 Casey Fitzgerald should also be considered. He is more consistant than Werzenski and on the same level with Hanifin.

qc2nf

Jan 7, 2013
The U17 tournament in Sydney in January should be a strong measurement of who the top players(defense) are. At least from Canada, not sure if there are any US teams in the tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad