GDT: 2015 NHL Awards - 7p.m. ET - Sportsnet - Odds, Predictions and Reactions

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Apparently Randy Carlyle is the only Leaf who received any votes for awards (1 third-place vote for Adams lol).
This is amazing.

Gave me a good chuckle too. The guy was a damn genius in someones mind for keeping that boat afloat for as long as he did lol...that or troll vote

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
My predictions:
Hart Trophy (league MVP): Carey Price
Norris Trophy (best defenseman): Erik Karlsson
Vezina Trophy (best goaltender): Carey Price
Calder Trophy (top rookie): Johnny Gaudreau
Selke Trophy (best defensive forward): Patrice Bergeron
Lady Byng Trophy (most gentlemanly forward): Pavel Datsyuk
Masterton Trophy (dedication / perseverance): Kris Letang.
NHL Foundation Award (community service): Brent Burns
Mark Messier Leadership Award: Jonathan Toews.
Ted Lindsay Award (MVP voted by players): Carey Price
Jack Adams Award: Bob Hartley
GM of the Year: Steve Yzerman.

Bolded I got correct.
So just off on Calder, Byng and Masterton... not bad.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
It's impressive what Yzerman's done in such a short period of time in Tampa. Credit has to go to his assistants as well but I didn't realize he'd be this good

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I was a little surprised that Bergeron win the Selke considering the Bruins had such a down year. Had no idea he had such a strong year regardless but he's a great player

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
It's impressive what Yzerman's done in such a short period of time in Tampa. Credit has to go to his assistants as well but I didn't realize he'd be this good

His trades have been spectacular. Moving Greenungeques contracts easily for cap space, acquiring top 4 dmen with term left and right, getting great value in trades even when UFAs demand trades and inly paying what he wants to acquire players. When it comes to drafting and signing young players he also has a modern outlook and acquires players based on skill first. Intagibles and size dont seem to be quite a huge hurdle in his mind. I mean Tampa actually still has some great prospects not in the NHL despite basically promoting their whole AHL Calder Cup team already

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
how did you know the Burns one?

Had a feeling. He was nominated last year, and he's an all around cool guy.

I was a little surprised that Bergeron win the Selke considering the Bruins had such a down year. Had no idea he had such a strong year regardless but he's a great player

Bergeron was huge on the Bruins this year. And I think his faceoff numbers are pretty ridiculous... 100 more wins than the next closest player, and 60% overall (next highest again is like 56%).

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I don't think Gaudreau was in the conversation for the first 20 games of the season either... Very early on it was Severson, Forsberg and... Ekblad I think?

True, but by the half way point, which is when people really start to seriously discuss the awards, Gaudreau was firmly in the mix. He had 30 points by the end of December. Stone was at 17. Wasn't until part way through March that Stone established himself as Ottawa's best bet for the Calder.

And in the end, they give it to the defensemen. No beef here. Well deserved, would have said that about any of the 3 nominees winning.

The only award that really surprised me was the Masterton. A goalie who finally found his way in the league versus a player coming back from a stroke.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I am honestly surprised at how close Murray was to being a contestant for the Gm of the year award.m

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Didn't get to see the show because I was working, but how on earth does Dubnyk win the Masterton?

In terms of who deserved it:

Letang>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>x100Hammond>>>>>>>>>>>>Dubnyk

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Didn't get to see the show because I was working, but how on earth does Dubnyk win the Masterton?

In terms of who deserved it:

Letang>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>x100Hammond>>>>>>>>>>>>Dubnyk

I dunno, coming back after healing from a medical incident, no matter how severe, and playing at a high level, but still less than you're capable when fully healthy, is somewhat less impressive to me than the epic runs that either goalie went on.

One in particular has never been done before, and neither goalie exhibited any clues that they could be good enough to achieve what they did.

Perhaps EK should win it for being able to win a Norris, then have his Achilles cut, then win another Norris after fully recovering. That's pretty special as well.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I sincerely doubt that. Nothing is more disrespectfully to an ill hockey man than pity votes.
we did play well this year and with a solid young team that you're probably right.

GMs, who vote on the awards, already this year had a chance to pay their respect for his contributions to the game.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
we did play well this year and with a solid young team that you're probably right.

GMs, who vote on the awards, already this year had a chance to pay their respect for his contributions to the game.

Personally, I believe that the GM job is far more difficult than many posters here seem to think, for a number of seemingly obvious reasons.

Getting props from people who understand that must feel good, and makes me happy for the man, and happy for our team.

So easy to criticize from the sidelines with all of the benefits of hindsight, and zero pressure on any "decisions" made, not to mention the small issue of not having to deal with any real people involved at all.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Bolded I got correct.
So just off on Calder, Byng and Masterton... not bad.
Hmm...
Who I THINK will win, not who I WANT to win.

Hart Trophy (league MVP): Carey Price
Norris Trophy (best defenseman): Erik Karlsson
Vezina Trophy (best goaltender): Carey Price
Calder Trophy (top rookie): Aaron Ekblad
Selke Trophy (best defensive forward): Patrice Bergeron
Lady Byng Trophy (most gentlemanly forward): Anze Kopitar
Masterton Trophy (dedication / perseverance): Kris Letang
Mark Messier Leadership Award: Don't care
Ted Lindsay Award (MVP voted by players): Alex Ovechkin
Jack Adams Award: Bob Hartley
GM of the Year: Stevie Y.

Eh... I did pretty ok. Called the Ekblad win, at least. I was off on the Byng, Masterton and Lindsay.

Dubnyk over Letang for the Masterton is an odd choice.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Unless they arrange these things without knowing the winner, it seems strange that they'd get Alfie to present the award if Stone isn't the winner.

Not really.
They just picked a fairly famous former winner of the award to present that award.

People have been reading too much into it since they leaked the Alfie announcement thing.

So can we all agree that a lot of people here were reading too much into the "Alfie presenting" thing?

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Chiming in from Boston if you don't mind, what an incredible kid Jonathan Pitre is! His best day is filled with more pain than what most of us would feel on our worst day. Amazing.:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad