Prospect Info: 2015 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #23 - Forgot the poll again

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Once again, why pick Lindgren ahead of Nielsen when the Leafs scouts, who have seen both of them play regularly, chose Nielsen 30 picks earlier?

Is it because of all the games the two of them have played since the draft?

Sex appeal. Lindgren is seen as a high skilled puck moving boom or bust visionary pick while Neilsen is being written off as a slug because he's big and physical.
Doesn't matter that he was selected by the same scouting staff that swung for the fences with literally every pick, he must be the inexplicable exception.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I like Bailey ok, but I don't count his NHL experience as any kind of reliable indicator. He played in some meaningless games as a reward for signing with us. Personally I was not overly impressed by his play in those games, but I wasn't negatively impressed either. I doubt he makes the team considering how many free agents we signed, so I expect he will compete for a spot on the crowded Marlies roster. Personally, I'll have a better sense of how to rank him after we see how he competes for a job against other young pros.

Ya, I recall that playing on the NHL squad for a few games was the real selling point for him signing with us. But even if that isn't a feather in his cap, it sure doesn't count against him.

I agree, he isn't likely to make the roster this season. but he has a better chance than Toninato or Hyman. It is silly to see him out of the top 20 prospects. If he improves his skating he is an NHL forward no question.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Looks like Ryan Rupert is one of our more underrated prospects.

First year in the AHL last year and he scored at a 20 goal pace on a very low scoring team (Connor Brown only scored 21) plus he's physical, a real pest and pretty good checker too. Plus he's played both centre and wing in the past few years.

He's been under the radar but I wouldn't be surprised if he has an NHL future. He won't be much of a scorer but if he continues to develop he has a chance to be a valuable third or fourth liner.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Ya, I recall that playing on the NHL squad for a few games was the real selling point for him signing with us. But even if that isn't a feather in his cap, it sure doesn't count against him.

I agree, he isn't likely to make the roster this season. but he has a better chance than Toninato or Hyman. It is silly to see him out of the top 20 prospects. If he improves his skating he is an NHL forward no question.

I think your point-of-view is certainly valid.

Overall- after say the top 7 or 8- I find it's largely a guessing game combined with vague personal preferences. Bailey could be much higher, but the same could be said for others.

I find it impossible, personally, to choose between Hyman and Bailey. Their portfolios are very similar at this point in their carriers. Both successful college players, both offensive players, who are looking to break into the pros. A few weeks into the season may differentiate them for me, but for now they are virtually identical.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002

First year in the AHL last year and he scored at a 20 goal pace on a very low scoring team (Connor Brown only scored 21) plus he's physical, a real pest and pretty good checker too. Plus he's played both centre and wing in the past few years.

He's been under the radar but I wouldn't be surprised if he has an NHL future. He won't be much of a scorer but if he continues to develop he has a chance to be a valuable third or fourth liner.

I agree. I haven't voted for him yet, but if I really put some work and effort into making my own ranking (not in the plans) I suspect I would rate him pretty high. He demonstrated he has a lot to offer in his first pro season, which is more than most of our guys have done (so far).

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I think your point-of-view is certainly valid.

Overall- after say the top 7 or 8- I find it's largely a guessing game combined with vague personal preferences. Bailey could be much higher, but the same could be said for others.

I find it impossible, personally, to choose between Hyman and Bailey. Their portfolios are very similar at this point in their carriers. Both successful college players, both offensive players, who are looking to break into the pros. A few weeks into the season may differentiate them for me, but for now they are virtually identical.

This is probably the most accurate thing said in this (or any of the recent) thread(s). How many of us have really seen these guys enough to be able to compare them directly against each other? I bet some people have voted that haven't seen Kapanen, even on youtube.

I'll stick with my Bailey vote. But perhaps need to take a broader view of the list being made. You seem to know your stuff, timlap. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go see if I can find more info/tape on Hyman. He may be worth more than I thought.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012

Also Agree. Although i think this notion that his brother Matt is not nearly as good a player is also a bit of an over-reaction.

In any case, voted Gibson here.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
This is probably the most accurate thing said in this (or any of the recent) thread(s). How many of us have really seen these guys enough to be able to compare them directly against each other? I bet some people have voted that haven't seen Kapanen, even on youtube.

I'll stick with my Bailey vote. But perhaps need to take a broader view of the list being made. You seem to know your stuff, timlap. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go see if I can find more info/tape on Hyman. He may be worth more than I thought.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."

I know the reference, but don't understand what you are trying to say here. Are you saying that since timlap made a case for Hyman, convincing me to look a little deeper, that makes me a fraud?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I know the reference, but don't understand what you are trying to say here. Are you saying that since timlap made a case for Hyman, convincing me to look a little deeper, that makes me a fraud?

Hyman is the man behind the curtain. Larkin is the Wizard.

In the analogy at least, I'm not sure about reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad