2015 Draft Thread: McEichel Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
I've gotta believe Strome will be the pick if we should end up choosing in that place we don't talk about. Hanifin is a great player but we need the elite center so much more.

Pray for losses. Ten of them. Consecutively.

I don't see why, you could trade down to 5 or 6 if you want Strome. Hanifin is clearly the best player not he board at 3. I think he would absolutely solidify this D core. You could also then doing something around Grigs + Pysyk for O'Reilly if you want the centre that bad.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
It's Hannifin or Marner for me. If you decide Marner is as good as he looks and not just some abberation, maybe you take him to get us some elite offensive talent. Otherwise you take Hannifin, be happy about it, and trade Zadorov or McCabe for RoR.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If we drop out of the top two, I'd seriously consider trading the pick.

Or we could draft Hanifin, Strome, or Marner and have a star for the next 10 years

I don't see why, you could trade down to 5 or 6 if you want Strome. Hanifin is clearly the best player not he board at 3. I think he would absolutely solidify this D core. You could also then doing something around Grigs + Pysyk for O'Reilly if you want the centre that bad.

You could trade down to 5 or 6 and draft Strome... or you could trade down there and see him drafted at #3 or #4. If he's actually the target it doesn't make sense to trade down.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Did the early career success of pretty much every winger on the Sabres from 05-07 teach us nothing about young scoring wingers on great teams

No. What do you think Mitch Marner projects to be? If he is 3/4 the player Tarasenko is, it's a success.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I've gotta believe Strome will be the pick if we should end up choosing in that place we don't talk about. Hanifin is a great player but we need the elite center so much more.

Pray for losses. Ten of them. Consecutively.

If we're picking at 3, it has to be Hanifin. IMO he's alone in a tier by himself between McDavid/Eichel and Stome/Marner. He's gonna be a real good defenseman, and you need some special players on your blue line to build a winner. If we decide we're good with what we have back there and what we really need is a forward, then trade back 1 or 2 spots and pick up some extra assets. Or take Hanifin and then try to flip one or both of McCabe/Pysyk for similarly talented young forwards, or package one of them up with our extra picks and maybe even other prospects to get someone better.

That said, hopefully we're picking at 1 or 2 and we don't have to deal with that hypothetical in reality.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Moved the Tarasenko/Toffoli talk to the roster speculation thread, where it belongs, if anyone's wondering where that went.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
If we're picking at 3, it has to be Hanifin. IMO he's alone in a tier by himself between McDavid/Eichel and Stome/Marner. He's gonna be a real good defenseman, and you need some special players on your blue line to build a winner. If we decide we're good with what we have back there and what we really need is a forward, then trade back 1 or 2 spots and pick up some extra assets. Or take Hanifin and then try to flip one or both of McCabe/Pysyk for similarly talented young forwards, or package one of them up with our extra picks and maybe even other prospects to get someone better.

That said, hopefully we're picking at 1 or 2 and we don't have to deal with that hypothetical in reality.

Pick Hanifin and trade for ROR, not sure that would make us a playoff team but it would be a solid start.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...t-freshman-hobey-baker-finalist-since-parise/

The 10 finalists for this year’s Hobey Baker Memorial Award were announced on Thursday and, to nobody’s surprise, Boston University’s Jack Eichel was among the nominees.

Eichel, 18, is the first freshman finalist for the Hobey in 12 years — in 2003, Zach Parise received the honor while playing at North Dakota — and looks to be the odds-on favorite to win; Eichel leads the nation in scoring with 61 points in just 34 games, and his plus-42 rating leads the country as well.

Considered a lock as one of the first two picks at the 2015 NHL Entry Draft, Eichel could become the first freshman to win the Hobey since Paul Kariya did it for the University of Maine in 1993.

http://www.hobeybaker.com/news/item/2015-top10

Jack Eichel – Boston University, Freshman, Forward, North Chelmsford, Massachusetts The first freshman Hobey candidate in 12 years, this 18-year old sensation leads the nation in scoring, collecting 61 points in just 34 games. Eichel (IKE-ul) was the Hockey East scoring champion, a member of the All-Rookie Team and has received numerous weekly and monthly honors along the way. His plus-minus of +42 also leads the nation.

• Has 20 goals, 41 assists for 61 points in 34 games – his 41 assists leads the nation
• Is a General Studies major – mentors a brain cancer youth and helps with Autism Speaks
• Was captain of the U.S. World Junior Team – considered a top three NHL draft pick

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I don't understand how someone can say "have to take Hanifin over Strome" when we have seen so many times a team take what is considered a forward over the more decorated Defenseman.

If you project Strome as a franchise center, and that Hanifin is a potential #1 then you are probably taking Strome based on what you need. Tim Murray may believe that he already has 3 anchors on the blue line. And we really have no highly projectable C in the pipe after Reinhart and Zemgus.

And, if Strome is your guy. You take him at three, there is not guarantee that he even makes it past 4 if Toronto is there.

I think Murray's guy is Strome outside the top 2, reason being he checks all the boxes that Murray wants in a player and basically said his weaknesses will be no issue. He sounded the exact same way as he did with Reinhart last year. I think if you are going to be really bad, you need to get a potential franchise centerman or franchise defenseman out of it.

I am on board with who Murray wants, they absolutely must get it right if they fall below #2.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Hanifin is kind of a strange case, because some people have him as the for-sure #3 behind McDavid and Eichel, while others drop him to 5 or more and say he won't be ready for the NHL next year. Maybe it's just the defenseman effect. But yeah, I'll trust Murray's judgment if we end up picking third (knock on wood).

Deleted member 27798

...But yeah, I'll trust Murray's judgment if we end up picking third (knock on wood).
...I know it is very early in his GM career with the Sabres, but in his first draft, 2 out of his 3 second round picks(Cornel & Karabacek) regressed statistically in their first post draft years. It's one thing to draft players who don't make it as NHL'ers, it's another for guys who regress in their amateur careers. Here's hoping they can rebound next season.

Anyone can make successful top 5 picks, let's see how his drafting after that pans out, and how he is at building a team(where Regier failed miserably except for lucking out when they came out of the lockout).

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
...I know it is very early in his GM career with the Sabres, but in his first draft, 2 out of his 3 second round picks(Cornel & Karabacek) regressed statistically in their first post draft years. It's one thing to draft players who don't make it as NHL'ers, it's another for guys who regress in their amateur careers. Here's hoping they can rebound next season.

Anyone can make successful top 5 picks, let's see how his drafting after that pans out, and how he is at building a team(where Regier failed miserably except for lucking out when they came out of the lockout).
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I think Murray is some sort of drafting genius who won't ever make a mistake. I'm just saying he knows a lot more about the players and is better qualified to make a judgment than I am.

Deleted member 27798

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I think Murray is some sort of drafting genius who won't ever make a mistake. I'm just saying he knows a lot more about the players and is better qualified to make a judgment than I am.

That makes two of us.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

LAst years draft was terrible, IMO. Outside of Reihart which was a gimmie I don't think we have an NHL player.

TheWook

Nov 4, 2012
Rochester
You can only take what the draft gives you. Murray tried to trade up and couldn't find a partner. We had a lot of picks so he picked guys with upside, not safe picks.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
You can only take what the draft gives you. Murray tried to trade up and couldn't find a partner. We had a lot of picks so he picked guys with upside, not safe picks.

Passed on Barbeshev for a guy who refused to play here also Karabacek and Cornel over McKeown and Dougherty. The second round was a disaster and there are a few solid future NHLers there including Demko who would of fit to the sabres plans perfect.

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Passed on Barbeshev for a guy who refused to play here also Karabacek and Cornel over McKeown and Dougherty. The second round was a disaster and there are a few solid future NHLers there including Demko who would of fit to the sabres plans perfect.

It's like Murray has a different vision of a team than any of us. I find it hilarious that regardless what happens with Lemeuix, Murray will be on the end of criticism. If Lemeuix flops, and Barbashev develops nicely people will constantly criticize him for the pick. If Lemeuix turns into a better player, people will not agree he was the better player, but they'll just criticize him for using him in a trade.

So pretty much Kane and Bogosian better turn into ppg point players because people will never let him forget the Myers and Lemeuix trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->