2015 Draft Thread: McEichel Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I agree with Rob. I am not a hundred percent sold on him being a psychotic enough worker to consistently put up points every night for his whole rookie campaign. He has lapses of full effort, that are minor in comparison to most prospects, but is a factor when talking about the two guys.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I think someone might have mentioned this before, but reading that McKenzie article, it seems strange to me that the WJC is what caused the three scouts to switch from Eichel as #1 to McDavid. Not that I have any problem with ranking McDavid #1 and Eichel #2, but I didn't find McDavid all that impressive at the WJC. He was good, and had some really nice goals, but he was far from the best player on his team throughout the tournament. On the other hand, Eichel was expected to be the offense for Team USA. He could have been better, too, but considering their vastly different roles it really didn't seem like enough to sway someone in either direction.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Strome was awesome in the first period, best I've seen from him. The hockey sense and play making was at another level.

It's kinda funny seeing Kingston shadow McDavid around the ice, a guy stays beside him at all times yet he still does what ever he wants.

Afinogretzky

Jan 8, 2007
Buffalo
I think someone might have mentioned this before, but reading that McKenzie article, it seems strange to me that the WJC is what caused the three scouts to switch from Eichel as #1 to McDavid. Not that I have any problem with ranking McDavid #1 and Eichel #2, but I didn't find McDavid all that impressive at the WJC. He was good, and had some really nice goals, but he was far from the best player on his team throughout the tournament. On the other hand, Eichel was expected to be the offense for Team USA. He could have been better, too, but considering their vastly different roles it really didn't seem like enough to sway someone in either direction.

With you 100%.

McDavid was shielded the entire tourney by Canada's dynamite 1st line. Never once in the evaluation of McDavid vs Eichel's WJC performance do you see the names Reinhart, Domi, & Duclair mentioned.

As I type this, nasty play on the PP by Baptiste to find Strome. We've got a good one.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Crouse makes an ordinary play and they totally exaggerate everything he does, so annoying. I really like him but my goodness is the hype him getting insufferable.

Bps21*

Crouse makes an ordinary play and they totally exaggerate everything he does, so annoying. I really like him but my goodness is the hype him getting insufferable.

It's the way they're doing everything this game though. Did you see the photographic breakdown of McDavid skating with his eyes up from childbirth through now? This was an actual segment. Connor McDavid looking up.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC

With you 100%.

McDavid was shielded the entire tourney by Canada's dynamite 1st line. Never once in the evaluation of McDavid vs Eichel's WJC performance do you see the names Reinhart, Domi, & Duclair mentioned.

As I type this, nasty play on the PP by Baptiste to find Strome. We've got a good one.

I agree that he wasn't at his best all tournament long. But let's not forget he hadn't played in 5 weeks.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Jake DeBrusk now has something like 17 goals in his last 18 games, just keeps getting better and better.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Eichel's production against college competition as a young 18 is frankly unbelievable. You can say McDavid is the better prospect, but Eichel is legitimately in the conversation. He's that good.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Technically Eichel shouldn't have any points tonight as 2 came on the PP so they don't count, and then Rodriguez had 6 assists so that automatically eliminates the remaining 2pts.

40pts in 23 games as a 18yo is completely unexpected and is obscene productivity. Werenski and Hanifin's productivity as 18yo defensemen are also off the charts. Its a great year for US prospects with those 3 probably going in the top 10 and then at least 3 more in the 1st rd.

Bps21*

Eichel is one of the best prospects to come along in a while. He's just kind of stuck by being in the same draft class as another one. McDavid has the kind of talent that you only see every once in a while...and he's the superduperstar face of the league for the next 15 years. The fact that it's even referred to as "McEichel" says as much about how good of a prospect Eichel actually is as anything else anyone can say.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Of course, but according to the article those three scouts changed their minds based on the WJC, which doesn't make much sense to me.

True. I'd love to know whose teams scouts are flip flopping like that. Hopefully ours aren't that wishy washy.

I went into the world juniors ready to give both of them some slack. McDavid since he was coming off the injury, and Eichel, I thought it was a tough position for him to be put in. I didn't watch much of USA's games but what I saw of him I liked. And McDavid like you guys mentioned wasn't great but he didn't have to be due to the first line. It did allow him to "show case" his talent a little more, adding that to the fact he was just coming back and his timing not being right, it's where I think the scouts flipped.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Of course, but according to the article those three scouts changed their minds based on the WJC, which doesn't make much sense to me.

Scouts shouldn't really be changing their minds at all about such high-profile prospects based on one tournament, but it's especially puzzling given the circumstances. It's reasonable to say McDavid had a better tournament but still. I have McDavid as clearly the #1 prospect, I just don't see what the tournament should've changed. If someone had them even they should still at least until the post-season susses more out.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Players move up and down rankings all season. You ask a scout what he thinks after the biggest tournament of the year, I'm surprised that people are shocked that those games would be the ones coloring their responses. If pro scouts are anything like college scouts, opinions change on a game to game basis. You don't make decisions on those opinions, you log the game films and make the decisions well after all the games have been played. So I wouldn't strain to hard to figure out why 3 scouts changed their minds. Half of them probably change their minds every game.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
dotcommunism said:
Crosby also did that in a completely different offensive environment than what we have today. That season 7 players broke 100 points, 14 broke 90. Also 7 players broke 50 PP points, with 24 hitting 40 (47 of Crosby's 102 points came on the power play). Last season, one player broke 100 points, who was also the only player to hit 90 points (that being Crosby). Only 7 players hit 80 points last year. Only one player hit 40 PP points, with only 8 getting 30.

Also, while Crosby's team the prior season scored 190 goals, the Penguins were also a year removed from that season (due to the lockout) so a direct comparison with next year's Sabres team to this year's is flawed. That's before we even get to the fact that this team is on pace to score 144 goals (and aren't guaranteed to even reach that).

Leaguewide productivity is way lower in the present NHL than it was the season after the lockout. McDavid may very well be a point per game player right off the bat, but taking it as a given because of Crosby's rookie season requires ignoring the overall downturn in scoring throughout the league as well as the singularly awful offense of the team that McDavid would be stepping into (if the Sabres were to draft McDavid, of course, which seems to be the assumption we're operating under here).

I understand it was a different, more offensive era, but I only believe the outlying factor in total points was PP. As you mentioned, the high PP numbers. Knock 20-30 points off those totals, and thats about the numbers those guys would put up regularly on the PP.

Jame said:
it's not the 2005-06 NHL anymore... 26 guys score 80+ points that year.

Because of the high amount of PP, yes I know. Average numbers for PP is around 20-30, the best players were getting 40-50. Im not clamoring for McDavid to hit 100 points, I really do think he'll score at a point per game pace his rookie season. If he plays 82, then thats 82. If he plays 70, then thats 70. Im not giving an exact number here, just that I think he'll hit point per game.

Also, the point wasnt so much about the numbers as it was that an 18 year generational talent Crosby was still 6th in the league on a very bad team.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
What does everyone think of Anthony Beauvillier? He's having a really good year statistically for Shawinigan, and is drawing rave reviews for his 200ft game. Listed at 5 10 though. He was rated only 58th by McKenzie, which shocked the prospect thread where he has been expected to be a late 1st / early 2nd. I think 31 might be a bit too early but 56 will be too late. He does seem like a good risk/reward pick that we can afford to indulge in, but are there are >30 other guys that we should prefer?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Technically Eichel shouldn't have any points tonight as 2 came on the PP so they don't count, and then Rodriguez had 6 assists so that automatically eliminates the remaining 2pts.

40pts in 23 games as a 18yo is completely unexpected and is obscene productivity. Werenski and Hanifin's productivity as 18yo defensemen are also off the charts. Its a great year for US prospects with those 3 probably going in the top 10 and then at least 3 more in the 1st rd.
:laugh: Touché

Hands down the best argument to ever come onto this forum in the Barbeshev vs Lemieux thread.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Special Pre-Super Bowl Edition - Sportsnet CHL Game Of The Week.
Connor McDavid - Dylan Strome and the Erie Otters at Ottawa 67's.
Sunday, February 1 - 3:00 pm ET.
TV - Canada - LIVE on Sportsnet East - Sportsnet Ontario - Sportsnet West.
TV - United States - LIVE on NHL Network.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
The hype for this draft is well deserved :yo:

Notable NCAA players in their draft year:
Jack Eichel - 23 GP, 15 G, 25 A, 40 PTS (1.74 PPG)
Zach Parise - 39 GP, 26 G, 35 A, 61 PTS (1.56 PPG)
Dany Heatley - 38 GP, 28 G, 28 A, 56 PTS (1.47 PPG)
Thomas Vanek - 45 GP, 31 G, 31 A, 62 PTS (1.38 PPG)
Phil Kessel - 39 GP, 18 G, 33 A, 51 PTS (1.31 PPG)
Jonathan Toews - 42 GP, 22 G, 17 A, 39 PTS (0.93 PPG)

First CHL player taken in their draft year (last 8 seasons):
Connor McDavid - 27 GP, 24 G, 45 A, 69 PTS (2.56 PPG)
John Tavares - 56 GP, 58 GP, 46 A, 104 PTS (1.86 PPG)
Taylor Hall - 57 GP, 40 G, 66 A, 106 PTS (1.86 PPG)
Sam Reinhart - 60 GP, 36 G, 69 A, 105 PTS (1.75 PPG)
Steven Stamkos - 61 GP, 58 G, 47 A, 105 PTS (1.72 PPG)
Nathan MacKinnon - 44 GP, 32 G, 43 A, 75 PTS (1.70 PPG)
Nail Yakupov - 42 GP, 31 G, 38 A, 69 PTS (1.64 PPG)
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - 69 GP, 31 G, 75 A, 106 PTS (1.54 PPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad